Sign in to follow this  
The Observer.

REVIVAL OF SOMALI lingo/dance/music...

Hello my fellow sol members, firstly i believe everyone is having difficulty with logging in to sol. hope they fix whatever the issue is quickly, it is all about the servers i guess.

Anyways, i just wanted to bring in this topic, of the notion of somali language and the performing arts. i believe we need to revive these things, inorder for the young ones to see what it is about somalis and their culture, i've met a lot of kids, youth and older people, who are very submissive of the performing arts, of the somali people, and they were somalis themselves.

Didn't believe on the cultural dance, for it ain't a big thing they say. and the only place you see these dances per say, are in weddings.

So my fellow SOL members, when is it that we will stand up and be proud of our ethnicity and culture? when is it that we will show the world, that the cushtics from the eastern side of AFRIKA have exquisite dances and languages that could be shared with the world?

NOTE: if u know of organizations which are established in this sort of environment, please share.

Its important to revive interest in our language and literature among young Somalis.

I think there are a few organisations involved in reviving the Somali language and literature in London. The only one I can immediately recall is called KAAH. I think this is their link.. Check them out. smile.gif

OG_Girl   

I am so intrested to learn somali culture, i mean like music, language..ETC

Well, what I found when ever you try to speak somali people put you down, calling you Sujui... Arab basal... so if u don't talk with ypour native people how they expect us to learn??!!

I decided to speak my broken somali... who cares if they laugh or not ..lol

as our nomad NGONGE said we need to be .. looh face to learn somali ;)

Salam

Blessed   

Salaams Observer

Thanks for this topic, you seem to have marched straight into my territory. There seems to be a slow but sure development in this field and we are not short of great individuals who are working hard on for the lazy majority. This revival is taking place in both our homeland and the qurbe. But since am a Londoner, I’ll share what’s happening here.

As A_S already mentioned KAAH is playing a very major role in reviving Somali literature and promoting contemporary literati artists. As well as their very difficult to read site; you can also visit www.aftahan.com which I believe is a part of the KAAH parcel. It contains both written and audio versions of poems, proverbs, stories, Islamic lectures and articles. And my personal favourite; a section with pictures and short biographies of our current literati.

KAAH, supports many poets and writers with the publication and promotion of their work. There seems to be some very talented young men who have written some good books and plays – but somehow there isn’t much support and encouragement from the community and our business men.

I think that there is a need for more involvement from the community as a whole to for this revival to really work -. There is more to performing arts, than playwrights and actors. In case, you’ve wondered; NO, I don’t work for KAAH – am just a very appreciative culture vulture, lol

For those interested in learning the Somali language or developing course materials for teaching Somali, Martin Orwin who is a lecturer of Somali at SOAS University – London, not only runs course in Somali through out the year – he is also very eager in developing course materials for those who want to teach it. I believe, that you can get more information by visiting universities website @ www.soas.ac.uk. – I can not stress how important it is for as to retain our language, not only is ‘luuqadu salka dhaqanka’ as Martin Orwin says, it is also how we maintain our political and community strength – notice how the first thing the colonialists did was take away the language of their subjects – it’s that powerful. There are many smaller organisation who also work in this field….won’t go too into it.

There are many publication houses – which publish books on the history of Somalia www.haan.co..uk is one – but there are others….

Personally, I find that the most exciting development is the rise in promotion of visual arts. Oxford House in East London – as been for many years promoting and developing Somali arts and culture and organises an annual arts festival every year around June. This organisation works with Somalis throughout the year and anyone who is an artist or is interested in the development of art can literally walk in their and get the necessary support: web page ……oh and speak of art – you are just going to love this site….. Marka Cadeey - go to the arts section ...Amin Amir rocks man...damn!

That is all for now……………. tata

SISTER TO THE REAL-thank you very much, and have no fear, if we are not able to share, how will we communicate, feel free to shpill about anything.

so i guess in the uk u guys are sort of established, alot going on over there, i am definetly looking into the sites u provided, now a question, have u taken the course u provided the website for? and the june festival thing, is it every year on june, do u know the exact dates?

anyways, from where i am i haven't seen a strong structural foundation as of yet especially in the performing arts,and artistic expressions. but more research needs to be done. haha

until then.

thank you.

and by anychance,m the playwrights, have u seen these plays being performed?

u see the issue, is not only about the community getting involved, it is introducing these small literature books/plays to small theatres, and let the people experiment. that is another thing we lack from. we categorize our own productions per say.

you see, when we produce something, there is that, we are doing it for somali's only, and that is one thing that the literi's(don't know if its a word, but sounds good! haha) could break away from, and hear what the world has to offer on there works.

i could see a play being performed but diverse students in the schools of theatre, for even if the writer is somali, and has to do persay with the somali culture or watever it is,it is not necessary that the actors should be somali's.

Qac Qaac   

and also we should add Gabayo in the list observer... they say language is the mother of the culture... if u lost your language you definately lost your culture...

also should read history books about our beloved country. not only music, but murti, xikmado, boogaa, sheekooyin, geeraar, buraanbur 4 women in weddings, everything should be observed and should revive it.

we also should show, not only our art side, dancing and music, is what every african country shows the world, but we should show our geographical areas, our history, our deen, we don't want to be known as dancers, or those ppl have good music. no that is not enough.

Qac Qac, thankyou for your input and comments, for sure, what u said about the revival of wedding praises per say, and all the histories, and folklores are important.

But i disagree with your comment of if a language is lost, so is the culture. that is not a true statement, for i have seen that even without the assertive knowledge of the language, the traditional practices, still take place amongst the people, and cultural practices.

Paragon   

What is needed here is a VERY CAREFUL language re-stracturing, cultural re-orientation, and a very well calculated revival of Somali Literature in general, if such is not, then it isn't worth the effort. It serves best if Somalism sleep in peace.

J11-correct, that is what is needed, and the issue is how to start it, and encourage one another on doing this. But SOMALISM SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO SLEEP. for this culture is one of the ancient cultures that with time, the societies are working to erase it. and that is where i believe, this should not be allowed!

Tuujiye   

I have a question 4 you guys in here...

Y'all talking about language and and culture, but your not using it right now to talk to each other with it. why is that?

Waxaan oo dhan aad qoreysaan, ku qora somali.

hadaad istic maashid luqada markaste, waxaad baraneysaa waxyaalo badan aadan aqoon waxa lagu yiraahdo somali.

Sxb Hadii ee kaa lunto luqadada, waxaad halis ugu jirtaa in uu dhaqan kaaga kaa lumo. Ama hadaa dhaqankii iska tuurtid, luqadiina kama hari doonte ee ayadana waad tuuri.

Marka waxaan hadalkaa ugala jeeda, in aan kuu sheego, dhaqankaaga iyo luqadada waa ee isku xiran yihiin..midna kama maaranto mida kale.

Qac'Qac wuu saxsan yahay.

Luqad iyo dhaqana waxey iskugu yimadaan, Nationality.

jaaw asxaabta ii baashaala..

Garaab Tuujiye- my apologize, for what i shall say, for i have been getting a lot of negative responds, when i ask someone to write in english.

we speak of the language and culture, in english due to that, english is the language of the world, and for some of us who do not know the language, are also able to learn on what is out there, by the use of the foreign language.

So please, if u had an addition to more info that is out there, and u shared it in somali, could u please translate it, or somehow take down the necessary info and post it in english.

thank you

Qac Qaac   

ask any professor, or any learned men, they would tell you, the old say of LANGUAGE IS THE MOTHER OF THE CULTURE... observer think about it carefully, culture mainly over80% of it is in the communication, and the other 20% is shown in dresses we wear, and the food we eat. do u agree?