Sign in to follow this  
Warmoog

What is business attire?

Warmoog   

People, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have a job interview later this week, and I was reminded to bring my resume and dress in "business attire". Which brings me to my question...

Exactly what kind of clothing is considered appropriate "business attire"? I posed this question to my cousin and got a rather vague answer, so please enlighten me.

Thanks.

Miriam1   

A black Jacket, White or dull/pale coloured shirt in, dont wear nyting that is to flashy..no bright colours.no pinks or reds..Black pants..and dress type pants .no jeans naturally, and a pair of dress shoes..classic black shoes.with a small heal, that look perfect with your pants...If you wear the hijab, it naturally will look better if it isnt black but if it matches your shirt..

Hope to have helped n'd GOOD LUCK!

Peaze in the middle east!

Honesita   

No t-shirts, jeans, running shoes, tanktops, any tops with labels or writings, hooded sweaters, flashy or colors that r too bright...!!

You can wear a suit, but if it's an entry level job or a job that does not require higher levels or education or skills, i wouldnt bother with the suit...(i dont even have one yet)..!! I would go with solid colors....black, white, gray or blue...!! My favorite is Black skirt (pants if u prefer) with white or blue shirt...or grey skirt/pants with a black top...!! Dressy shoes, but not too fancy or high heeled...!! Oooh Yasmine...i see you looking good and getting that job already sistah...!! Good Luck

Jawaahir....u dont think black scarf is good..? Goodness i need to go shopping for scarves i guess....!! lol

I have 3 questions....

What do you guys think is more business attire, skirts or pants....??

Ya'll know the new style the scarf is worn today...(wrapped around like shaash)....do u guys think that's business attire when u're going to a job interview...??

How comfortable/confident are you if you wear hijab and skirts when going for an interview....??

Salaamz

Blessed   

^^ Skirts are cool. As long as they ain't those multi-colored styles from Syria :D

I feel comfortable waering my hijaab to job interviews. If they are going to have a problem with a hijaabi, they ain't the people for me.

This ain't half bad.

main.jpg

Honesita   

Ameenah....that sure looked good gabar...when r u and i going shopping spree in Dubai...i cant wait to look like that pic...lol??

Salaamz

Khayr   

Originally posted by Yasmine:

People, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have a job interview later this week, and I was reminded to bring my resume and dress in “business attire”. Which brings me to my question...

Exactly what kind of clothing is considered appropriate “business attire”? I posed this question to my cousin and got a rather vague answer, so please enlighten me.

Thanks.

Salaamz,

hey welcome to the House of the DUNYA, Yasmine

were you will be asked OVER and OVER again,

not with WORDS but with ACTIONS to COMPROMISE,

and COMPROMISE and COMPROMISE.........

for WHAT?

(You sound Paranoid Khayr!I'm a strong women-right?)

So they ask you wear Business Attire, well unless its a Bonfide Occupational Requirement, that if you didn't wear "Business Attire" then it would cause the Firm/Company undue hardship, then you

are not OBLIGED to wear Business Attire.

However, the fact that your bring this up is good.

Reason being, is for the muslim, its through their DRESS CODE that in the Business WORLD that they are often 'SOCIALLY' and 'Economically' forced to COMPROMISE to the point that you become,act and LOOK like an avg. Co-Worker.

QUESTION IS-HOW BADLY DO YOU WANT A PAYCHECK AND

SOCIAL STATUS???

Be Resourceful and innovative, with the Dress Code and don't compromise your DEEN for the PAYCHECK.

Trust Me, before you know it, you'll embrace the corporate/work culture like your own mother. :eek:

Fi Amanillah

Waac markaa indhaha lagugu siyoo, you gotta look the part.

“…Clothing maketh the man (or the woman)" and that "you don't get a second chance to make a first impression." Nowhere are these sayings more true than in the business world in which potential employers, clients, and colleagues all make judgments about your personality, skills, and attitudes based on the way you dress.

You are a reflection of your employer and therefore potential employers want to be reassured about the kind of image you will be projecting when you work for them. Therefore, it is crucial that you present a professional image at all times - from the moment you walk into that interview to the time you get the job and become a regular employee.

9_4.jpgillustration.jpg

Is it just me or are there others who love Somali women in business attire. Preferably, branded Armani Suit. Nothing flashey walahi. Man I must live in duurka cause meeshaan joogo I've yet to see macalimad saas u labisan. All I see is ladies in mourning black gowns & guys in gafuur iska doon dhar. Ok saas ha no ahaato somaliyeey.

Blessed   

Originally posted by Honesita:

Ameenah....that sure looked good gabar...when r u and i going shopping spree in Dubai...i cant wait to look like that pic...lol??

Salaamz

Babe, as soon as your Ohio loving behind is ready smile.gif

Khayr,

Thats a bit mellow dramatic ma is tidhi :rolleyes:

Good advice though, if u have to comprrimise your believes .. they aint worth working for.

Also, Don't forget whether you're wearing pants or skirt Hosiery is vewy vewy important...No fishnets or anything like that.....but a color and texture that is suitable to whatever you'll wear ;)

Miriam1   

Honesista lol..um its not that the black hijab is bad.its actually very elegant on some women..its all about ur complexion..

With the Hijab issue at a work interview..I say dress great..and they cannot have an issue with it unless they are planning on it..

And if they are as Ameenah said..not the person for moi...