Sign in to follow this  
sweet_gal

How did you find your first Job?

Curly   

That sounds like something a pimp would say to his staff. :D:D:D

Really seven of Nine I expected better of you! :rolleyes: icon_razz.gif

Thanks you all for your advice. But I started to do something else which is ask people that I know who work at places to speak to their manager for me. I know a few places who got hired that way.

OG Moti   

Dear Sweet Gal... Job advice hmmmmm

I tell you what talking to people you know to put a word for you with their Boss or managers doest work most of the time.. people just dont take other people's needs seriously, to you it is important to them its just something that will might make them look bad infront of their boss, something that needs to wait for the right moment to tell the boss and so on.. so most people dont bother... i guess you are in white man's land, this type of environment is a jungle, jobs are very competitive, you got to be presistant and annoying if possible...it is a jungle and you have to be a tiger to get a peace of the meat.. so my advice is as following

1. Drop your CV every organization you know

2. Sell yourself in ur CV means a bit of over marketing urself wont harm..

3. Visit frequantly these organizations and follow up ur application

4. show good interpersonal skills, by being friendly with people u meet when u visit the org. this way everyone will remember u, and words go by babe, it is a long shot but it happens

- you could also try to volunteer and do some more internships, that is the only way to grantee a job or creat connections... remember it is all about CONNECTIONS, no one cares about competancies anymore.. it is about who you know, and being there on the right time... good luck .. peace

mojam   

In finding a job, the very first thing you need to do is know what it is that you want to do. In other words what kind of a job do you want.

The best way to find a job is through networking. Envolve everyone you know in your job search. 80% of jobs are found this way. You can even cold-call companies you are interested in and ask them if they are hiring.

I was 16, I found that our nearest amusement park was hiring. So I applied online and the next thing I know I am employed.

That was the best job I've ever had. Got free pass the entire year, free hookups at the restraunts, extra tickets for family members, even a promotion for my second year. **sigh** I miss that job.

But the negatives (which hardly effected me) was the 1 1/2 busride to and from the job and the manual labour I had to do. It was well worth it thou.

The best advice to getting the job is be professional: in dress, in manner and in speech.

Also, try to find a job in your area ie. Malls, plazas, local business, or at Tim Hortons (cuz God only knows their everywhere).