Sign in to follow this  
Kamaavi

Garissa Ni Nyunbani : Daawo Bilicda Garissa

Coloow   

Waa run oo Garissa waa bilicsantahay. It is a booming city with mtatus, taxi, new buildings etc. It is really very impressive.

Hase yeeshe waa xaruunta basaaska. I have always been warned about the jaajus in Garissa when I visit it or pass through it on my way to the other parts of the NFD. The somalis in Nairobi always warned about the Garissa jaajus; and I must admit that I have never met them ( I was keeping a low profile); but a few months ago, I met the mother of all jaajus.

At the isbaaro just south of the city our bus was boarded by a somali man and a woman after the usual lete kpande control. These two filthy people sat on two of the seats in the front part of the bus near me.

The usual inkaar/nacleyn "allow kuwan naga qabo" " war meeshu waa meel baas" "waxaaba iiga daran kuwan sijuiga ah oo dhulkooda keen kitambulisho lagu leeyahay" etc was in the air in the bus.

These two women who were from Ohio and visiting Gedo were the loudest; anigana xoogaa waan ku biirey markaan arkay sida ummadda loola dhaqmey; and before we arrived to a local hotel nearly all of us in the front part of the bus were cursing the second class system that was prevalant in th NFD.

Around 1 am we were woken up from our sleep and 15 of us were taken to the local gestapo office; and guess who were there; labadii jaajus oo baabuurka nala soo raacay.

Aniga, labadii naagood iyo shan ruux oo kale ayaa nalagu yiri baxi meeysaan; we were apparently breaking a law established in 1967 during the freedom war aka the shifta wars. Apparently, the whole of the NFD was still in a state of emergency.

Our bus was suppose to depart at 3 am! maxaan sameeynaa?

Money, money. Aniga iyo labadii islaamood oo Ohio ka yimid (the had US passports)waan diidney inaan bixino lacag. Dadkii kale qaar ayaa bixiyey oo waa la sii daayey.

We were told we will be charged. Ok. Charge us.

Early in the morning hours (when our bus had already left) there were brokers all over the place. They wanted to find a "solution" i.e. negotiate a price.

We refused and at around 7 am there arrived a senior office from the nabadsugida. We asked him to clarify for us what we did, which he never did.

Meanwhile, our cellphones were hot calling Nairobi, overseas etc.

Apparently, one of the nominated MPs ( a woman) was informed of our plight and around 2 pm we were released and here is where things got better. Through our contacts were put in a land cruiser and taken to Nairobi. In the meantime, we got several phone calls from elders, local politicians etc not pursue the issue further; and not to expose the two jaajus.

I wonder why in the whole of the NFD, somalis are treated as second class citizens. It is a sorrow state when you see a university graduate born, raised and educated in Mandera/Wajir/Garissa exposed to inhuman treatment; lete kpande? and no one protests.

As a frequent traveller, Mandera is the town that has benefitted most from the disintegration of "somalia". It has during 20 years turned into a metropol. plot prices are higher than in many cities.

Garissa is also undergoing the same kind of dynamism although it has alot to learn (and its location might be a hinder). Mandera is grown together with Beled xaawo. With less jaajus and generally a hetrogenous population it is really growing.

Aaway Hiatu?

STOIC   

^ You guys did the right thing.I have passed through Garissa many times during my primary school boarding era .I will offend some people if I say all the experiences I had in Garrissa back in the days!They used to have the KANU youth people back who will do all the dirty work for the police and CID. I think the people from the other two cities of that province are the friendliest.You might think Garissa people were told they will loose all the "privileges" if they show respect and mercy to their Somali brethren!

Haatu   

I understand you all. Some people there are just a** lickers. I remember once, we were at the chechpoint on our way to Gaarisa when the usual officer came in and started with the usual rubbish where is your kpanda. They came to me and I gave them my passport without fuss. But across the aisle from me was this lady who was wearing a niqab and she refused to lift it up so her identification could be verified. The officer got agitated and started swearing and saying "****** sijui, sujui this, f****** somali". At this the whole bus exploded with anger. But what could we do? We are defenceless.

Nonetheless, we won't let them ruin our lives. We have got after all, Allah the most gracious while they have no protector.

Baadiyow waa ika.

Kamaavi   

I guess none of you have listened to the sujue in the clip ,,,, the man makes me laugh when ever I listen.... :D

Haatu   

Kamavi, yeah the guy is hillarious. :D

Originally posted by Napoleon:

sujue waa looma oyaan

According to Napoleon.

Qorax   

^ Napo, saa ha dhihin yaa na arki lahaa haddii ragani aanu u baxsan lahayn? xaasid xaasid ha iska ahaadeen balse runti waa inoo gurmadeen sharci beena oo nala habeeyaan iyo saldhiga stationka oo naga soo damintaan (dabcan lacag) iyo in aay yurub iyo amerika nagu faafiyeen anigaygan midba sida igu kaxeeyey babayagu-daa baan hayey ilaa aan Romania ka cid galay oo meshaa iiga dhaqaajiyey. Hadana waaba sii ilbaxeeno sii lacageesteen mashallah xiiirantana rag iska dhiciyeey leeyihiin inkastoo waxka mideeya dhexdooda iyo newcomerska aysan jirin

Haatu   

Originally posted by Kamavi:

Haatu ninka yaa dhaha wax ii xayeysii ,,,,
:D

Ma ila aragtey. :D Ninka waa classic :D

STOIC   

Heh..I'm sure they are far too many Somalis whom I will never entertain the idea of trusting them with my life.The apple in the cart is not balanced in the other side too...Somalis have their qabilist, self-absorbed, bed-wetting dociles too....

Kamaavi   

Originally posted by Haatu:

quote:Originally posted by Kamavi:

Haatu ninka yaa dhaha wax ii xayeysii ,,,,

Ma ila aragtey. Ninka waa classic
Specially markuu madaxda iyo police ka ka hadlaayo ,,,, ama xamaalashada iyo inta oogu danbeeysa.... :D