Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Let's swab food RECIPES!!

Ariadne   

I have substituted my cereal breakfast for this and it gives me the carbs and protein I need for the day. So if you ever want a change from conventional western breakfast try this.

soupy rice with egg and cucumber salad

2 eggs

half a chopped cucumber

half a tomato

long grain white rice ( you could also use sticky and sushi rice)

soup broth

boil 3 and a half cups water with two cups of rice. After coming to a boil simmer for 20 mins.

When the rice swallows up the water add the broth to it by ladles (two ladles at a time).

when the rice is very soft and mushy and tastes kinda brothy.

Take the two eggs and scramble them fry on the oven for 10 mins while constantly stirring. Add sea salt (just enough to make your heart stop) and pepper for flavouring.

Scoup out one ladle of wram broth into a bowl. add the rice. Then add the scrambled egg. then chop the cucumber and tomatoe and add over the soupy rice.

and bon apetit

Ariadne   

a good broth is a good foundation for a lot of cooking so here is one of my favourite borths for the winter...but could be used in summer soups as well.

potato beel broth

6 medium to large potatoes

2 small celerey stalks or 1 large one

6 carrots

1 bay leaf

6 qaurts water

sea salt

pepper

basil

1 large onion

Peel potatoes and add the peel to a large soup pot. Add 6 quarts of water. chop up the large onion and add to potato peels. Chop up celery and carrots and add to soup pot.

add one bay leaf and simmer for 2 hours.

On a smaller pot add teaspoon sea salt to the six large peeled potatoes and boil until soft and mushy.

Mash the potatoes and add to the broth to give it a thicker texture.

Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.

And a pinch of basil to bring out natural vegetable flavours.

simmer on the stove over low heat for 2 more hours and you now have a basice broth to add to soups or stir frys.

Pujah   

Here is easy to follow recipe “reduced fat” chocolate cheesecake. :D

chocolatecheesecake_lg.jpg

Ingredients

Nonstick cooking spray

8 chocolate wafer cookies

1 bar (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese

1 cup reduced-fat sour cream

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 tablespoons cornstarch

3/4 cup sugar

1 large whole egg plus 1 large egg white

1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Serves 9 | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Line with two crisscrossed pieces of parchment or wax paper, spraying between sheets. Spray lined pan; set aside.

2. Process cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Gently press crumbs into bottom of prepared pan (do not rinse processor bowl).

3. Blend cream cheese and sour cream in food processor until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add cocoa, cornstarch, sugar, egg, and egg white; process until smooth. Pour into pan; sprinkle with chocolate chips.

4. Bake until just set, 35 to 40 minutes; cool completely in pan. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Invert onto a tray; peel off paper, and reinvert crust side down. Cut into 9 squares.

Urban   

CousCous..

Ingredients:

-cous cous

-salt

-black pepper

Cooking:

Put some couscous into a bowl (amount is up to you.. or how hungry you are), add a pinch of salt and lots of ground black pepper. Add boiling water and cover for 3mins. Bon appetit.

:(

SA,

Here is my recipe for KIMMIS, SUBAAYAD, JABAATI or JABATIS whatever u call it.

Ingredients

500g all purpose flour

2 cups of water u must add water gradually and avoid too loose dough.

pinch of salt

1 egg(optional

a little sugar

Method

Pour the flour in to a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients and mix well, use all ur strenghs i prefer my hands rather than flour mixers

let it lay for about 3 hrs note the more it lays the softer it gets.

after 3 or u can opt for 1 or 2 hrs instead, devide the dough in to small 2cm cubes and spread each cube in to a small Kibbis, apply oil and fold it to its orignal shape, cover them with plasic paper and leave it for another 30 minutes, finally heat ur bir canjeero or frying pan and splash little oil, spread the jabatis one by one and cook from both sides turning it regularly using oil as little as possible to reduce fat contents. u must store the cooked jabatis in a tightly closed container.

Goes so well with chicken, meat or fish stew and digir also.

u can sometimes apply honey and grab a cup of hot shaah. waa quraac fiican.

that is my way i hope u will like it

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

Thanks Uma....Iam still mastering Malawax.

Malawax raashinka aan ugu jeclahay uu kamidyahay. Sodan xabo xataa oo malawax kuleel haddaan cuno, caloosha waa iska sideyda. Ar maxaa ka dambeyaa, siiba mid malab lagu daro asagoo kulul.

Kool_Kat   

BARIIS ISKU DHEX KARIS,

Ingredients:

Basmati rice, meat (beef, lamb, etc), onions, garlic - ground into a paste, cilantro, salt/maggi, oil, ghee for flavoring, and tomatoes.

...Heat ghee or oil in a pan. Add sliced onion and cook until onion is light golden brown. Make sure to stir continuously.

...Add chopped cilantro and garlic pastes to the onion. Add meat, stir for a minute, add some salt/maggi, then add three cups of water to the meat mixture, bring it to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook until meat pieces are almost cooked. Then add chopped tomatoes. Cook for fifteen minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.

...Add the rice, cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally. When the rice is almost cooked, remove it from the stove and put it in a pre-heated oven for 10-15minutes.

...When cooked to your liking, remove from oven.

Saxan sooqaado, guro, cun with moos, liin dhanaan, and isbaramuuto...

Qado wanaagsan

Aaliyyah   

Muniira lol yeh sis so am I. I guess I will just have to hire a chef. Looks like we got lota chefs down here, so any one wants to be hired smile.gif

Hunguri   

loooooool@ Dabshid. Im in mood of seeing that recipe too. By the way, the easiest dish, that any one can cook, is that of Bariis laysku dhex kariyey. See, all you have to do!!!

(1)Tamaandho

(2)Basal

(3)Ok Oil or Hayat what ever ;)

(4)Sliced meat

Mmmm Waxaba isku dar oo isku walaaq kadibna dabka ku tuur :D There you go !

Malika   

So Dabshid did you try the recipe? How did the meal turn out?...or you just nipped round the corner to the Somali restaurant... smile.gif

Nobody eats fish in here?

Grilled salmon fillets, prawn pilau,spicied fried fish[snapper&red tilapia]..

Oh my fav: Prawn in coconut cream sauce,with chapati.

Ingredients: Prawns,onion,tomato,coconut cream..

Fry the onion, in very little oil,add the tomatoes[if pured better],add the prawns..let it cook,add a pinch of salt..last but not least add the coconut cream..voila!!

You can eat it with,pitta bread, or white coconut flavoured rice..

Oh, I love fried ripe plaintains too..tasty!

couscous and chicken tagine

ingredients for tagine:

----------------------

>chicken - a few legs and thighs - chicken beasts become too dry when cooked - and for goodness sake dont boil it first, if is frozen, let it defrost.

> large Onion, chopped up

> 2 carrots - chopped up in big chunks

> 3-4 garlic cloves

> olive Oil

> cumin seeds - about a tea spoon

> about 4 bay leaves,

> chicken/veg Stock about 1 cup - you

> handful of almonds

> a handful of prunes or to your taste

> a bunch of green coriander (cilantro for americans) -

* note that the tagine does not have a sauce its kind of dry but very succulent.

1. Dry fry the cumin seeds for about a minute or until they aroma comes out

2. take about 3 coriander stalks (the thick bit at the end) chop off the brown bit at the very end of the root and throw it way and then chop up the stalk finely

2. add oil and onions chopped up coriander root and fry on a low heat till they start to brown.

3. add the crushed garlic

4. add chicken and stir a little till the chicken skin starts to brown - about 4 or 5 mins.

5. add bay leaves, and about 1/2 cup of the stock

turn heat low cover and let it cook on a low heat slowly for about 30 mins - occasionally staring.

6. after the 30 mins, add the carrots and the prunes, if all the stock is gone add a little more, and some salt to taste.

7. cover again and leave to cook for about another 30 - 45 mins (still on the low heat) or until the chicken has really browned and is very very soft on the bone

8. about 5 mins before the end, add the almonds.

----

Ingredients couscous -

----------------------

> couscous 2 cups for 4 people

> a couple of handfuls of the green coriander leaves

> 1 onion

> 1/2 lemon

1. put the couscous into a deep dish and add 1 and half cups of hot water for each cup of couscous.

2. cover with a tea towel or some other cloth and leave for 10 mins

3. in the mean time fry onion

4. when onions fried and couscous is ready, throw the onion, chopped up coriander leaver on top of the couscous and add the squeeze 1/2 lemon, add a little olive oil and a pinch of salt on top

5. mix it up so that it looks all funky white and green

---

your ready to eat - aniga moos iyo bisbaas baan gees dhigtaa ;)