Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Let's swab food RECIPES!!

IS it called KIBBIS or KIMMIS. I call it Kimmis

Anyways i dont know how to cook. I made a deal with my mother that she cooks and i clean. Works for both of us.

Iffah   

Originally posted by Xiddig:

Can Anyone help us with how to make

1)the best SaBAAyad or KIBBIS??

2)Somali Buskut "biscuit"?

3)XALWAD"XALWA KISMAAYO?

4)and any other somali desserts??

Sis, I think there's a thread somewhere in this forum where one of the sisters explained how to make Xalwa and other sweets. I can't remember the thread, or what section it was under...but if you type in 'recipes' under search, you'll probably get it.

Good luck.

lol   

Let me add this... Arabic dish " Warqah Canab =Grape/Vine leaves"

ingredients:

1 bottle of Grape leaves ( they r in the pickle section)

1 cup of rice

2 onions

1 large tomato

2 chicken stocking

few leaves of cilantro

1 crushed garlic

a pinch of black peppers

1 liter water, salt to taste and some tomatoes... boil them together..

preparation:

Chop the onions and tomatoes into tiny cubes. crush the garlic and cilantro and stockings. Add everything together except the leaves in a bowl..Let it sit for a 10 mins...

Now open the leaves and place small tea spon of rice on the the leaves... now fold it like u fold the spring roll.. if u don't know how to fold the spring roll then...following is the instructions..

after making all of them..make sure that they r tightly sealed.. now stock them on top of the each other with no open space... add pre-boiled water with salt and some tomato pieces.. to the leaves.. now cook slowly till the rice has been cooked... Make sure it is on very low heat... and don't let it dry...

After it has been cooked for like 45 mins... place the ingredients in the fridge... it tastes best when cold...

bon appetite`....

Now for the wrapping:

Place the rice in the center of the leave. Now fold the right and the left... then roll it....till it is tightly sealed!

Som@li   

âsalaamu calaykum.

shabele i call it Sabaayad or kibbis,,i gues kimmis is aslo alright,though i haven't heard before.

Ilhaam jazaaikalaah khayr,also i am A MAN,it could be the somali lang,xiddig can be both masculine and feminine,

bye

LuCkY   

Ure weLcome and good Luck North.

FISH

INgredients:

-1 can(or wateva suits ya) tuna

-1 onion diced-minced wateva!

-1-3 jaLepenos***

-BeLL peppers

-Knorrs(maggi)for taste

Prep:

IN a saucepan or digsi heat some oiL and then add the onions...wait a LitLLe whiLe...then add the jaLepenos-diced-minced aLong with the knorrs(maggi).Give some time and then add the tuna-Make sure to DRAIN it-no need for water-BUT if u want to go ahead.Mix thoroughLy after few minutes add the beLL peppers and voiLa ure done.Serve with wateva suits ya-bread,muufo or canjeero.

WARNING:The JaLepenos are hot so make sure to use an amount that suits u.

N.O.R.F   

Shabelle

IS it called KIBBIS or KIMMIS?

We call it kibbis, my cuzins call is kimmis and then theres subaayad,,,,,, we can start another debate here,,,,,

Hi ya'll very nice recipes. But i'll share with you guys mine when i master it.

does any of u know how to make sweet chicken legs...like the once at KFC's or at the chines buffets. Could ya share the recipes..

Hunger (it’s the dish am most familiar with these days)

it will not take much effort on your part

utensils: empty stomach, gastrointestinal muscles (most people come with these), and a timing device.

Ingredients: nothing (talk about economic)

instructions.

Step 1: Set your timing device to ring 12 hours after eating

Step 2: Don’t eat any food untill timer goes off

Now by following these 2 simple steps you can look forward to mouthwatering hunger delighful stomach pains.

nafta   

My fav breakfeast special FRENCH TOAST!

Ingredients:

2 eggs

milk

bread (depends on how big ur appetite is when deciding on the slices)

sugar...use vanilla its the best one

margerine

Cookery:

Bowl

stirring utensil

bahalka canjeerada lagu sameyo

bahalka canjeerada lagu gadiyo (dhinaca kale loo badalo i mean redface.gif )

first stirr the eggs and the milk and sugar in the bowl all together, till its really nice and smooth (or whatever else them cooks say, Use that mixture to cover the bread with on both sides and then when you've done that, put the bahalka canjeerada lagu sameyo on the stove and wait a couple of minutes till its hot. cut some margerine out and put into bahalka canjeerada lagu sameyo and let it melt. Then put one slice of bread into the bahalka and let it get gold brownish and crispy without burning it. repeat this with the next slices of bread until ur done. then clean up ur rubbish

and EAT!

Modesty   

Wow...I am definately going to be doing some cooking this weekend, I haven't had a real meal in so long!!

Haniff wrote

instructions.

Step 1: Set your timing device to ring 12 hours after eating

Step 2: Don’t eat any food untill timer goes off

Now by following these 2 simple steps you can look forward to mouthwatering hunger delighful stomach pains.

Sounds like u need to try some of these recipes! ;)

VANILLA ICE CREAM

Favourite homemade dessert. So simple

Ingredients:

- 1 cup of milk

- teaspoon of vanilla

- 1/2 tablespoons of sugar

- 1/2 tablespoons of salt

- 2 ziplock bags ( 1 small, and 1 large)

- ice cubes (2 ice-cube trays)

In small bag mix milk, vanilla, and sugar. Seal it closed.

In large bag add ice cubes to half of the bag, and put the salt in and mix with the ice. Put the small bag in the large bag. Seal the large bag closed. Shake or rub bags together, until mixture in small bag has the same consistency as ice cream

Put in a cup, and add favourite topping. ENJOY!!!

For all the seafood lovers, Heres a swahili cuisine.

Seafood in curried coconut sauce

Ingredients

For the Sauce

1tsp. olive or vegetable oil

2 medium onions, chopped

2 small green chili peppers (fewer if less spice desired)

1 tsp. garlic, finely chopped

2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped

1 1/2 - 2 cups coconut milk

1 tsp. Indian masala (red or yellow)

1 tsp. curry powder

1 tsp. coriander powder

1/4 tsp. tumeric (optional for extra yellow-curry flavor)

1/2 tsp. ground cumin (optional for extra spice)

Salt

For the Seafood

Any of the following fish will work in this recipe:

2 lbs. white fish; or 1 to 2 lbs. shelled prawns; or 2 lbs. fresh, cleaned squid; or 1 to 2 lbs. fresh, cleaned octopus

Method

If preparing white fish or squid, clean and marinate in lemon, salt and one chopped clove of garlic. Make the sauce by first frying the onion in oil until translucent. Add the chilies and garlic. Stir together until the chili edges begin to wilt. Note: Be careful about which chilies are used. Some very small chilies are wickedly hot, while others are mild. Add the chopped tomato. Cook on high until the color begins to fade (tomato is beginning to caramelize). Then, add coconut milk and spices. Simmer this mixture, stirring occasionally for at least 10 minutes or until it begins to thicken.

For octopus: Prepare in advance by simmering in boiling water with a garlic clove for up to one hour. Octopus can be very tough if not cooked properly. Add the octopus with the coconut milk and simmer the entire mixture until it begins to thicken

For prawns: Continue cooking the sauce and add prawns only a few minutes before serving. Shrimp are done when the flesh turns opaque. Be careful not to over-cook.

For squid: Flash fry separately at high heat for one to two minutes. When done, the squid will become firm and begin to whiten. Add to sauce when ready to serve. Do not over cook, this will turn the squid very chewy.

For white fish: Oil a baking pan, place fillets in pan and pour sauce over. Bake for 10 minutes,(or more depending on thickness of filets), in pre-heated 375 degree oven.

Serve with rice, cooked plantains (fried or boiled) or fresh banana.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/africa/php/recipes.php?dish=swahili/swahili_recipes_lo.html

Chicken Stew

Mchuzi ya Kuku

Ingredients (for two):

1. Chicken breast - skinless (but with bones)

2. Curry powder and tumeric

3. Kothmeri (cilentro)

4. 2 tomatoes

5. one large-potato chopped

6. olive oil or cooking oil

7.two green chilies

8.little salt

9. one lemon

10.two eggs==(NB i DONT ADD IT-DONT LIKE IT)

11.Crushed tomato - 1/4 can

12.two medium onions

13. Garlic and ginger puree

Procedure:

1. Fry finely chopped onions in olive oil until they get reddish.

2. Add cut tomatoes. Keep stirring.

3. Boil chicken separately ..(I like seasoning with blackpepper and salt at this stage)

4. Add potatoes with the onions and tomatoes.Keep stirring for 10 minutes

5. Now add cut green chillies, garlic and ginger, crushed tomatoes, little salt,curry powder and tumaric in the frying pen. And mix with onions and potatoes, and keep stirring for five minutes.

6. Transfer the onions, etc. to the pan where chicken should have been boiled.

7. Cover the sauce pen after stirring well.

8. Boil eggs seperately. Remove the shells and put the eggs in the chicken curry. Cover the sauce pan.

9. After 5 minutes, add kothmeri (cilentro)

10 Stir and the curry is ready to be eaten with rice.