Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

My dilemma: I hate Apple

Steve-Jobs-001.jpg

Can Apple's tablet do it again?Apple's latest product is the eagerly awaited 'tablet' electronic reader. But no one knows exactly what it will do, nor whether it can duplicate the runaway success of the earlier iPod or iPhone. So what might we expect?

Should I purchase this overhyped and unnecessary gadget, wasting a great amount of money or be doomed to sulk, looking at those hip individuals who will no doubt flash it in the local Coffee shops?

I am torn, I already have an Apple everything, but they have just upped the anti with this.

Oh well, there are more pressing things to worry about, don’t believe the hype people.

Very interesting dilemma. Duke.. you must be between a rock and a hard place. I would hate to be in your shoes right now. The whole of civilisation depends on the choice you make...make it wise adeer.

Cara.   

I second that Duke. I know I can never hope to understand but you have my sympathies.

Garabkaaga adeer.

^^^

Action is no less necessary than thought to the instinctive tendencies of the human frame.

I shall act on this, but you must be patient as i deliberate on the decision.

Apple is not bad, just little pricey compared to Windows. I have had the same Macbook since '07 now. Except for few minor issues, it's been good to me. Only because I use it to browse, and watch movies. From what I read online, this new tablet thingy does pretty much the same thing a Macbook, but would prolly cost much more.

peasant   

I too have an 07 old black macbook and i plan to keep it until it is dead. I think mine will probably be good another 3 yrs or so if something unexpected does not show up. I might probably upgrade my hard drive other than that it is all good.

I personally like to keep gadgets to the last drop and it is a something i would advice everyone else to do, just for the sake of the environment.

Peasant, it should last you even more than that if u keep up with the security and the software updates Apple pushes out.

I only had to take mine in onetime for repairs, because someone visited a questionable site and got it infected with a virus. If I could afford it, I would probably be gettin the new higher end Macs Apple puts out every yr or so.

^ Nin-Yaaban that is the beauty of a PC you don't have to take it in .. anybody can fix, twiddle or upgrade them. i've never sent back a pc and ive never paid for it to be fixed/upgraded/expanded

Apple machines have to be sent back to the store just for a damn memory upgrade

yes, I'm another apple hater ladies and gents :D

but my beef with them is some of their engineering decisions .. a device with a non-removable battery is insane in this day and age .. modular design is effective because it prevents commom mode failures but somehow the iphone is a popular phone.

it still does not make any sense to me ... you are supposed to avoid single points of failures .. the whole phone is worthless if the battery no longer works .... compared to the last 15 years of phones if the battery does not work just buy a new battery.

it seems like they are more geared to people who are not bothered by the relative high costs of the device and almost impossible to expand/upgrade/fix systems by yourself.

they are pretty devices that are very well put together but i just cant get past all -ve's

as for the tablet it makes sense if you need to enter data or use the device in non-typical locations where you dont have access to a desk that is why they are used by E.M.Ts, truck fleets,warehouse inventory etc. people underestimate how uncomfortable holding up a tablet can be even if it is 2 lbs for an extended period of time

Cara.   

^Good points. I've had the same Dell PC for almost 5 years. I've upgraded the memory and replaced the hinge with a $15 online purchase. These are simple things anyone can do on a PC, while a Mac is so inscrutable finding the power button feels like an epic victory.

The major advantage of Macs was their stability compared to PCs, but my computer doesn't really crash nowadays and it's almost always on. I admit Macs look prettier, but I'm definitely a form-over-function person.

On the other hand, my boss is a staunch Mac user and I can understand why. Computers are still a mystery to her. If a single icon on her desktop is moved she panics and calls the IT guy. Today I tried to show her the keyboard shortcut to cut and paste and she yelled "No! I don't want to know!" :D

They are all like that, there must have been some sort of Apple herpes virus going around in the 80s that infected all of academia...

Hayam, I wish I had a great deal of purchasing power. The truth is Apple’s slick devices are quite seductive and I am seeking as much insight from other SOL.