Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Midlife Crisis - Real or Myth?

Midlife Quest
in which there is a challenging adventure of seeking, exploration, and discovery. Or, it might be
Midlife Metamorphosis
where there is the profound change of reformation and transformation. Another image is that of
Midlife Renaissance
with a new birth, a new beginning, and a chance to start over. There is also the possibility of [the most common definiton]
Midlife Crisis
where there is a sense of urgency along with intense emotion and perplexity. But over all each image involves some level of change and crisis.

It is the realization that we have passed our physical peak, and that we will not likely achieve all those goals we set when we were young and for which we have spent the last twenty years reaching. This is about as good as it is going to get. This is it. This is midlife crisis.

Midlife crisis is a mental condition that affects many males around the midpoint of their lives (usually somewhere between the ages of 35 and 50).

A man is said to be facing four major enemies in the throes of that crisis:

(a) His body -- Losing his looks, hair, physique, etc.;

(b) His work -- Monotony in what previously was an exciting job;

© His wife & family -- Trapped in his responsibilities; and

(d) His God -- Accusing him of selfishness, laziness, lust.

Specifically, the mid-life crisis is often thought to include: worries about the future, inability to enjoy leisure time, a feeling that health is deteriorating, a negative evaluation of the marital relationship, a negative evaluation of work life, and stress arising from taking care of the elderly (Sheck, 1996)

Other research that challenges the idea of a mid-life crisis deals with the idea of the "social clock." This cultural prescription of the right time to leave home, get a job, marry, have children, and retire varies from culture to culture.

In life it is believed that we have THREE major identity crises. The first, occurring in adolescence, is to establish an identity. You must get a sense of who you are. The second identiy crisis is termed the quarter life crisis and is about leaving home and testng our wings in the real and all the worries, responsibilities, and insecurities. The third identity crisis is at midlife.

SOURCES:

The Scoop on Midlife Crisis

Midlife Crisis - Recent Research

Quarter Life Crisis

---------------

Does anyone believe in midlife crisis? Or is it the excuse of middle class folks who have nothing else to worry about but fulfilling the fantasies/dreams/goals they had when they were younger--and using this as an excuse to act out?

And if it is to be believed---is it the case that older somali men running to get married to their 15 year old second wife and acting like 'caruur' are simply experiencing midlife crisis? And where do women fit into all this? Maybe the increasing divorces that are initiated by women?

Interesting isnt? For a long time I thought I had quarter life crisis.

Castro,

Since its mostly Westener's experiencing 'mid life crisis' that I have heard of... this is coming from a christian perspective. Midlife crisis is thought to be the point at which most adult men return to their churches and usually call themselves 'born again christians'.

God is acussing them of breaking the ten commandments. Or so I gather.

P.S. Don't tell me YOU havent suffered from it yet. icon_razz.gif

Tuujiye,

Go squeeze yourself.

Castro   

Originally posted by Femme Fatale:

P.S. Don't tell me YOU havent suffered from it yet.
icon_razz.gif

No, I have. And I'm loving it. It's the only crisis I've had so far where I'm not broke. It doesn't much feel like a crisis at all. icon_razz.gif

Yeniceri   

Sounds like a self-inflicted wound. Dude has a high-paying job, is married with kids and owns his own home/car, yet he manages to sink into what they call "a mid-life crisis."

What about family men who're raising 5+ kids in refugee camps across the globe: Do they undergo "mid-life crisis" or is theirs more of a "life-time crisis?"

Self-inflicted wound, nothing more, nothing less.

usually somewhere between the ages of 35 and 50

I would have said, I have suffured from it but I don't know the mid-age of a man.

Let me humbly ask Castro since he so admittedly suffered from what is known as Midlife Metamorphosis.

OOh and is it only men ordeal or woman undergo as well?

Mowgli   

"I'm going thru a midlife crisis" is (in my world) the excuse married, old cadaan men use for when they can't keep their "lil friend" where he is supposed to be! That or when they wanna date someone younger then their own children and buy a HOT sports car