Sign in to follow this  
Curly

Bad publicity

Curly   

I this site has been getting some very bad publicity, I found this out accidentally yesterday when I was having trouble getting SOL and I decided to use google and when I typed in Somaliaonline I found a website forum mentioning SOL and it was quite negative at that!

I think that in some respects that we can only blame ourselves when we post insults and racist views on SOL. I think I’ve said this before that we all represent our nation and due to are small numbers, one persons actions will reflect on us all whether we like it or not. So in future please keep in mind our unanticipated audience who are so eager to jump on and take out of context even our most innocent of words.

http://www.blackchat.co.uk/theblackforum/forum9/4028.html

NGONGE   

^^^I agree. From now on, whenever we feel like bashing any other race we should do it in Somali. icon_razz.gif

But seriously, Sue. On a discussion forum, you can’t control other people’s views. You can’t expect everyone to have politically correct opinions. If we sit here and worry about what people on other websites think about us we will never post another word ever again! :(

Have faith in the moderators of this site and hope that they’ll continue to delete anything that’s considered offensive (which they do anyway). As for your example from the other site, it seems that Somalis there are the ones causing all the bad publicity really. Ah, the kids will never grow up.

I started so I might as well finish, do you think Somalis are black? :D

Curly   

lol Don't start this!

Of course we're black and African, but this is beside the point.

Racism is racism therefore should not be posted on SOL period! You can't have one set of rules for us and another for them, in fact why does it have to be us and them in the first place??!

Why are we so quick to segregate ourselves?

You know it’s funny how other non-Somali Africans assume it’s us who are separating ourselves from them and yet the Somalis see it as them separating us from our African roots. (Did that even make any sense?)

No it doesn’t make sense and clearly something has gone wrong along the way, many people choose to blame this on “the west†and play the whole divide and conquer card.

But I think that its gone way deeper than that now and that somehow someday we need to resolve this issue and the first step YOU can take is by choosing to throw away your pride (and of course pride is xaram!) And say you’re BLACK and AFRICAN regardless of whether they chose to accept you or not!

And hopefully by saying this and teaching it to the younger generation maybe one day we will be united as Allah intended!

Religion should be our only excuse for segregation!

NGONGE   

I see your point, Sue. But, what you fail to recognise is that some Somalis do not consider themselves “black†and some “blacks†don’t consider Somalis to be part of them. The situation exists and there is no harm in discussing it. The only problem here would be one of words. What sort of words should someone use to convey his/her point of view? Do they use the word “black� WE’RE BLACK! Do they use the word “African� WE’RE ALSO AFRICAN! Do they refer to religion? Lots of “black†people share the same religion with us. Do they use culture? That would narrow the scope of the discussion. It’s a tough one and in the course of discussing it we’re bound to come across people who will use offensive language to symbolise the other side! That could easily be deleted by the Mods though. The discussions themselves should not be stopped (I think).

LoL @ Sue...

Dont worry about it dear. C'est la vie!

I agree with you on the racism bit...its quite ugly. But what are you to do with such ppl? Tape their mouths shut?...hmmm, not a bad idea.

NGONGE   

I'm a Somali and period!

Surely you’re not as simple as that, saaxib. You’re a Somali. Period. You’re a Puntlander. Period. You’re reer Galkacayo. Period. You’re reer hebel hebel. Period. Period. Period. Period..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To some extent, I agree with Waryaa Dude, but what suprises me is the statement of Mr. NGONGE when put it, "I agree. From now on, whenever we feel like bashing any other race we should do it in Somali".

That is so funny, indeed. Laakiin fiiri, raga wax ma xantaan horta? Waligeed lama sheegin rag Soomaali ah oo wax xamanaaya! Does that mean our girls alone can do xamasho? No way, Islamically speaking, bashing is an unacceptable devilish character. Remember, it is like eating the flesh of your dead brother/sister. ooooooooooc, that is an unpredictable thing to do.

Deeq A.   

Sue, I haven't seen any insults against the black race here and if I and moderators have missed any, the right thing is to forward it to the Admins/moderators and it will be deleted.

I remember a while ago a young Somali girl posted couple of insults against African Americans using the "N" word and she did it more than one time. Her posts were deleted and she was banned from the site.

SOL doesn't discipline nomads for saying they are not black. We just don't tolerate insults.

I agree whole-heartedly Curley

But as you can see already from the replies lol somali's will be somali's.

The Black-chat lot are hypocritical in that they will differentiate you and refere to you as somali and try to curse at you and down-grade you.

But that doesnt mean that we should reply in- Kind. They have a lot of ignorant ppl just as we have.

I dont surf this site when am with my other friends because some of the posts could offend them, but then Admin and NGONGE are right in stating that we would be going over board if we started to try to edit or moderate the thoughts and views of nomads.

Qac Qaac   

Yes we are blacks.

No we can't consider ourselves as black africans, coz we Muslims. we are same as the african muslims.

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by Qacbaro:

No we can't consider ourselves as black africans, coz we Muslims. we are same as the african muslims.

This is the right ammunition for the person who say Somalis are racist....a very clear example...And by the way what is wrong with being a Muslim and black at the same time.

Tuujiye   

Sue sis you should care what others read or write about us. Hadaa wax sheegeesid si xoriyadleh u sheeg. Maxaa ka wadaa isticmaal somali hadaa wax xamaneysid. Sis xanta waa xaaraan horta hadaa wax ka baqeesidna ilaaheey kabaq not some person. So sweety if you have something to say say it freely with no borders.

I don't hate any race,culture, religion; but I realy hate two face people..

so if you smile for african american and you use your language to say something about them is very wrong. waana labalabo..

wareer badanaa!!

dawoco   

Ok people, let me be the residential racist here,,, When I fill in a form, I never tick the African column, but rather write Somali down in the appropriate section.

As for the rest, I am a Somali with dark skin and my country is in the horn of Africa. Does that mean I have allot in common with other countries that happen to be on the same continent? Not at all.

I never fraternized with the black kids at my school/ college, and never have in the whole of my life. Why? Was it because my hair was different to their and my features didn’t mimic theirs? Is that a reason that I am feeling superior to them? For me that suggestion is as ludicrous as claiming that Arabs are better Muslims than we, just because they are Arabs.

Just because we hail from the same continent doesn’t automatically forge a brotherhood/sisterhood. To me they are no different than the white population of this world. I have nothing in common with them, my customs are different to theirs and my sense of belonging and long running traditions has no place for them. In short, I don’t see myself as superior to other black races, nor do I see them as close relatives because of their color.

I am sure there are many that I would get along with just fine, but I never felt any inclination to do so.

It is hard enough getting to know my own country mates, let alone having to worry about keeping friendly with others with whom I only share geographical proximity.

Reading their opinions and their anger amused me, but other than that? No emotion was provoked, nor outrage.

How could we Somalis be tolerant of other races when we have been shedding blood on our soils for supremacy of tribe?

In order to change the world, one has to start at home, doesn’t one?