Sign in to follow this  
Som@li

08-08-08 Beijing Olympics

I am very happy to see the chinese organise such a wonderful opening ceremony. I particulaly liked the olympic torch baring finale. I havent seen such a wonderful and well coordinated opening ceremony since Barcelona 1992.

I hope, Somalia could one day organise and host the olympics. Inshallah.

^^That's so feminine yaa Mr.G.

Say after me: I hope somalia could one day manufacture a deadly weapon with which to destroy its enemy.

Liibaan   

Olympic fever grips Somalis as athletes leave for Beijing

By Abdurrahman Warasmeh

MOGADISHU, Aug. 4 (Xinhua) -- Despite everything that is happening in their war-torn country, Somalis are proud and united behind the only two athletes who will represent Somalia in the Beijing Olympic Games that will kick off this week in the Chinese capital.

After years of training and preparations, Samiyo Yusuf and Abdinasir Saeed left for Beijing Monday with high hopes just like their compatriots, who said they are doing all they can to watch the Games not only to see Somalia among the community of world nations competing at the Games but see two of their own win gold medals.

At the Aden Adde International Airport in Mogadishu, people cheered and clapped when they realized that Yusuf, a young woman in her teens, and Saeed, a young man in his early twenties, were the athletes that will raise the country's flag in one of the most important sports events in the world.

Somalia has been in civil conflict for nearly two decades which has claimed the lives of many people and left the country's sports facilities in a mess, but the Somali Olympic Committee, locally known as GOS by its Somali acronym, has been struggling to organize sports events when security permits even in the restive capital, Mogadishu.

They have also with their meager financial resources sent a number of athletes to take part in international sports events. Sports fans and others alike seem to agree the importance of Somalia participating in "One World One Dream" of the coming Beijing Olympics.

"We are really proud that we are not at least off the world sports map and we put our faith, confidence and hope on these young man and woman," Ali, a sports fan who only gave his first name, said enthusiastically at the airport.

"I believe sports can bring our people together as people from around the world are coming together in harmony in china."

Abdulkadir Ibrahim Gaal, President of GOS, was leading the Somali delegation to the Games and was very hopeful that the athletes will be competing to help bring Somalis together in "this turbulent times of our history."

"The main aim of attending any event is not to win medals but the fact that people are brought together in peace and harmony is more important for us at this stage," Gaal told Xinhua at the airport before the delegation left for Beijing.

Many residents in Mogadishu are preparing to watch the Games and are very enthusiastic about it since Somalia is represented at the Games.

For the few who can afford a satellite dish and a digital receiver they will be able to view Free-To-Air channels that will screen the Games, but most people will either watch with their neighbors or follow in on the local FM radios which have been reporting anything about the Olympics for the past months and beyond.

The Olympic fever is starting to grip Somalis just like people all over the world. For many the Games will be more than a escape from the dangerous reality in the country.

"I am sure the Beijing Olympic Games will be the most spectacular, the most beautiful, the best organized that is impossible to miss whatever the situation here (in Mogadishu)," said an ardent sports enthusiast, who refused to give his name.

Chimera   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

^^That's so feminine yaa Mr.G.

Say after me: I hope somalia could one day manufacture a deadly weapon with which to destroy its enemy.

LMAO :D

reminds me of..

Originally posted by Al Jidaawi:

SOOOOOMAAAALIA!!!!!!!!!!

Not many and camera didn't catch them all
:(

I didn't catch them either but I gotta see the flag couple times during the torch relay :D

I did see Jabouti though smile.gif

Bless the Chinese kid from the earthquake. Maybe that was Pucca's kid :D

82220318.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4A

Somalia's delegation parades during the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games opening ceremony on August 8, 2008 at the National Stadium in Beijing. Over 10,000 athletes from some 200 countries are going to compete in 38 differents disciplines during the event, between August 9 to 24.

82220315.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4A

Duran Farah, Somalia's flag bearer parades in front of his delegation during the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games opening ceremony on August 8, 2008 at the National Stadium in Beijing. Over 10,000 athletes from some 200 countries are going to compete in 38 differents disciplines during the event, between August 9 to 24.

This is so wonderful, so proud to see. Runtii. I feel very, very really proud to see such a hido iyo dhaqan meel dadweynaha adduunweynaha dhan iskugu imaadeen lagu soo bandhigo. From kabo to all the way top nothing is left being hido iyo dhaqan. So glad to see again. Whoever came up with the idea must congratulated.

N.B. - Was the Duraan Faarax allowed to bear and carry the tooreey mindi since I partially see suunka lagu xiri lahaa in uu qabee? :D What a real faarax finally to see who is proud representing his nation. We will cheer you, Duraanoow iyo Saamiyeey. Just being there is wonderful itself.

Som@li   

War-torn Somalia expects Olympics to bring peace

www.chinaview.cn 2008-08-07 19:32:38 Print

BEIJING,Aug. 7 (Xinhua) -- The delegation from war-torn Somalia held their flag-raising ceremony in the Olympic Village here on Thursday, hoping that Games can bring peace and harmony to their country.

"We have gone through many internal difficulties in the past 18 years. It is very important for us to be part of the Olympic Games and see our flag raised here. Medals are not goals for us, we come here to represent our country and take part in the Olympic reunion,"said Duran Faraha, Chef de Mission of Somalia.

Somalia has sent two athletes to Beijing. Abdinasir Said Irahim will participate in men's 5,000m race and female sprinter Samia Yusuf Omar will compete in 200m event.

"I hope sports can be used as a tool to bring peace to our country, and all the country can unite as a whole to support our two athletes."

Somalia has been in civil conflict for nearly two decades which has claimed the lives of many people and left the country's sports facilities in a mess, but the Somali Olympic Committee managed to make the two athletes well prepared for the Beijing Olympic Games.

Abdulkadir Ibrahim Gaal, President of Somali Olympic Committee, expressed the hope that the athletes will be competing to help bring Somalis together in "this turbulent times of our history."

"The main aim of attending any event is not to win medals. People are brought together in peace and harmony is more important for us at this stage," Gaal told Xinhua on Monday at the airport before the delegation left for Beijing.

Editor: Xinhuanet

Som@li   

From weeds to world-class track for Somalia runner

Fri Aug 8, 2008 1:15am EDT Email | Print |

BEIJING (Reuters) - When teenage Somalian sprinter Samia Yusuf Omar competes in the women's 200m in Beijing, her mother and six siblings in Mogadishu plan to find a neighbor with a television so they can watch her.

She would have loved her father to see her too, but he was killed in 2006 by a rocket attack that hit their two-room home in the relentless fighting that has torn Somalia apart for some two decades. An uncle and aunt are also dead.

Being in the Olympics, with its billion-dollar stadiums and high-tech synthetic running tracks, is like stepping into another world for athletes from war-ravaged nations like Somalia.

"Sport pushes me forward," said Omar, 17, whose baggy blue tracksuit looks three sizes too big for her spindly frame as she fidgets in a chair in the luxurious Beijing athletes' village.

"Some people ask how I can be doing sport when so many people are being killed or dying from famine and drought, but being in the Olympics is doing something for my country because everyone will support me regardless of their tribal affiliation."

More

Rahima   

MMA,

They were missing hijabs. We are a nation of Muslims, we should be more proud of that and show it to the world.

I was saddened that many other countries were adorning the hijab, yet we weren't.

sunaari   

Here in America, NBC went commercial right before Somalia supposed to walk line and they latter mentioned after Georgia. Very proud men and women represented their nation while enduring tragic wars back home. Watched the Somali flag on the screen where the chinese torch bearer running on the air to start lighting oloymic fire. He will start running right above the Somali flag until he reaches the big olymic torch. This kind of event will never happen again in our life time. Good job China.

Ibtisam   

Dashid, thanks for the link, small TV icon_razz.gif

Wishing them all the best.

Rahima, We are Muslims, yes, but I think it is hypocritical to appear Muslim in such events. I'm glade they did not just follow for the sake of it and wear it. The hijab is fast becoming decorative addition, like the cross rather than a religious significance. I personally would not find it appropriate if that young girl comes out and runs around that track with a hijab on.

It is just an obvious contradiction to appear Muslim, with a hijab (ignoring the music, and short sleeves for the timing being) and then for the next three weeks, pimp/ parade your Muslim athletes in short shorts. :(

I’d much rather they go and do their thing if they must without any reference to Islam. Them parading around, oh look we are Muslim and we are “normal” and we’ll do as you do with our little hijabs and we are no threat.