Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Niqabi, interrupted

Ibtisam   

Wearing my niqab is a choice freely made, for spiritual reasons. I put on my niqab, my face veil, each day before I leave the house, without a second thought. I drape it over my face, tie the ribbons at the back and adjust the opening over my eyes to make sure my peripheral vision is not affected.

Had I a full-length mirror next to the front door, I would be able to see what others see: a woman of average height and build, covered in several layers of fabric, a niqab, a jilbab, sometimes an abayah, sometimes all black, other times blue or brown. A Muslim woman in 'full veil'. A niqabi.

But is that truly how people see me? When I walk through the park with my little ones in tow, when I reverse my car into a parking space, when I browse the shelves in the frozen section, when I ask how to best cook asparagus at a market stall, what do people see? An oppressed woman? A nameless, voiceless individual? A criminal?

Well, if Mr Sarkozy and others like him have their way, I suppose I will be a criminal, won't I? Never mind that "it's a free country"; never mind that I made this choice from my own free will, as did the vast majority of covered women of my generation; never mind that I am, in every other respect, an upstanding citizen who works hard as a mother, author and magazine publisher, spends responsibly, recycles and tries to eat seasonally and buy local produce!

Yes, I cover my face, but I am still of this society. And, as crazy as it might sound, I am human, a human being with my own thoughts, feelings and opinions. I refuse to allow those who cannot know my reality to paint me as a cardboard cut-out, an oppressed, submissive, silenced relic of the Dark Ages. I am not a stereotype and, God willing, I never will be.

But where are those who will listen? At the end of the day, Muslim women have been saying for years that the hijab et al are not oppressive, that we cover as an act of faith, that this is a bonafide spiritual lifestyle choice. But the debate rages on, ironically, largely to the exclusion of the women who actually do cover their faces.

The focus on the niqab is, in my opinion, utterly misplaced. Don't the French have anything better to do than tell Muslim women how to dress? Don't our societies have bigger problems than a relative handful of women choosing to cover their faces out of religious conviction? The "burka issue" has become a red herring: there are issues that Muslim women face that are more pressing, more wide-reaching and, essentially, more relevant than whether or not they should be covering with a niqab, burqa or hijab.

At the end of the day, all a ban will do is force Muslim women who choose to cover to retreat even further - it is not going to result in a mass "liberation" of Muslim women from the veil. All women, covered or not, deserve the opportunity to dress as they see fit, to be educated, to work where they deem appropriate and run their lives in accordance with their principles, as long as these choices do not impinge on others' freedoms. And last time I looked, being able to see a woman's hair, legs or face were not rights granted alongside "liberté, egalité et fraternité".

As a Muslim woman living in the UK, I am so grateful for the fact that my society does not force me to choose between being a practising Muslim and an active member of society. I have been able to study, to work, to establish a writing career and run a magazine business, all while wearing a niqaab. I think that that is a credit to British society, no matter what the anti-multiculturalis ts may say, and I think the French could learn some very valuable lessons from the British approach.

So, three cheers for those women who make the choice to cover, in whatever way and still go out there every day. Go out to brave the scorn and ridicule of those who think they understand the burka better than those who actually wear it. Go out to face the humiliating headlines. Go out to face the taunts of schoolchildren. Go out to fight another day. Go out to do their bit for society and the common good. Because you never know, if Mr Sarkozy and his supporters have their way, there could come a day when these women think twice about going out there into a society that cannot bear the way they look. And, who knows, I could be one of them.

And, while some would disagree, I think that would be a sad day.

Na'ima B. Robert is the founding editor of SISTERS , a magazine for Muslim women and author of 'From My Sisters' Lips ', a look at the lives of British Muslim women who cover.

From Times Online June 26, 2009

Raamsade   

The hypocrisy of this lady and her like is truly something. Here you have a British muslim woman poking her nose in the internal of affairs of another country.

Of course this country happens to be Western country. Had it been say, a Mid-Eastern or African country, we probably wouldn't have heard a peep out of her.

Why is it the West is always held to a higher moral standards than any other group of countries?

You know, in Iran, millions of women want to take off their chador but can't under the totalitarian regime of the Ayotallahs. Why doesn't she and others all across the world, not only Europe, who are in a tantrum over the proposed banning of burkas/niqabs in France speak for the rights of Iranian women? Or Somali women who are forced to wear the Niqab by force? What's the difference?

If you believe the right of people to practice their religion (or lack there of) in the West (so long as they don't harm others), then you must also believe in the same right for all people in all countries. You must be equally outraged when any people are denied their inherent rights to practice their faith.

Aaliyyah   

Ibtisaam thanks for sharing this beautiful article.

Every sister who chooses to wear the veil should have the right to do so. It's hypocrisy walahi to ban the niqaab in France.

salaam

BOB   

Ibtisam,

Does Naima have a single sister...bal soo wareyso. :D

THANKS for lifting the sisters' spirit with your timely topic of sister Naima.

These days it has become a trend amongst our people to mock Islam...Allah yaa jooga yiraahdo...it's embarrassing to read their ignorance of Islam and its principles...

There is an Ayah in Surah Al-Ahzab where the prophet is ordered to tell his wives to cover themselves...so who are you tell a Muslimah not to cover?

Today the french president banned niqab but if we Muslims don't even flinch I don't think you need me to foretell you what he's going to ban next...it's not about the Niqab ban that we should protest against...it's about the basic human-rights of the muslim woman that the french president is violating...if his wife is allergic to basic clothing, his excellency should know that not everybody shares her allergic.

If a girl likes wearing her Parada jean and flash her knickers every time she drops something and not want to cover her zillion times coloured hair...that is her CHOICE and I think its only fair that she should respect the choice of those who have more respect for themselves and for their body...in other words those who like to cover themselves.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Ibtisam   

Raamsade Yaad yad ya, you speak rubbish. What Somali women have you seen who are forced to wear a niqab. No ONE can force somali women to do anything, indaah aya kaal soo biixi. Shame you don't know that. The rest of what you said is hot air. They say two wrongs don't make a right. In any case the west is always up in the business of Muslim countries, even invading to enforce their way or ideas, you clearly are confused.

The rest of you, you are welcome. I posted this because on my response to Lazy girl in the other thread, I said won't Muslim women get involved, and niqabs speak up for what they practice. Same day I said, this was published, so it is only fair I extend their voice and share. :cool:

Castro   

Originally posted by Raamsade:

You know, in Iran, millions of women want to take off their chador but can't under the totalitarian regime of the Ayotallahs. Why doesn't she and others all across the world, not only Europe, who are in a tantrum over the proposed banning of burkas/niqabs in France speak for the rights of Iranian women? Or Somali women who are forced to wear the Niqab by force? What's the difference?

Liberté, égalité, fraternité? That's the difference!

It called HYPOCRISY when you don't practice what you preach? Capice?

Iran's totalitarian regime doesn't bother pretending there are freedoms or equality so they can do whatever they want but Sarkozy, who has no problem with men humping men, finds the niqab (which is an easy target) utterly offensive. Que passa?

Atheer, I'm no fan of niqaab but I, Sarkozy and everyone else should mind their damn business.

Castro   

^^^^ Yeah, you added 10,000 posts since I saw you last. Talk about being busy.

Don't be too excited to see me. I've attacked you in the other thread so get your game face on. icon_razz.gif

Ibtisam   

^^^I don't mind your attacks :D normally harmless old man icon_razz.gif

I have been busy indeed, time wasting maa aragety!!

goes off to see the damage in the other thread

Raamsade   

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

Raamsade
Yaad yad ya, you speak rubbish. What Somali women have you seen who are forced to wear a niqab. No ONE can force somali women to do anything, indaah aya kaal soo biixi. Shame you don't know that.

Do you live on the moon? Somali women are forced to wear the niqab wherever it is enforced. For instance, in Alshabaab controlled regions of S. Somalia. Forget about other parts of the Muslim world. Now that you know the plight of Somali women, are prepared to post anti-Alshabaab articles? Just asking.

I was making a broader point which is the discrimination of Muslim women in other parts of the world. When it is in Europe a big a brouhaha is made over the slightest perceived discrimination but when it is in other parts of the world not a word of protest is raised. Why set up the West to a higher standards than the rest of the world. This smacks of racism and infantilizes the rest of the world. It suggests that only the West can be held accountable for their actions while everyone else is too infantile to be accountable for their actions. It's like the Abu Ghraib affair. When Saddam ran the place as his prime torture chamber no one was outraged (except some in the West but they were dismissed as "hawks"). When the Americans were discovered to be running S&M dungeon in Saddam's former torture chambers, the world went berserk.

This is cant and hypocrisy. Either support the rights of Muslim women across the board (in every country) or don't support in any at all.

Ibtisam   

Raamsade you are confused atheer. You mean a hijaab in Somalia? Last I knew Somali women were walking around in diracs and koogaard. When the Islamic courts tried to impose the two piece hijab everyone laughed at them, I doubt al shabbah has had better luck despite all the chopping they have been doing.

America went to kick the bad man out remember and instill they wonderful western fairness and bliss, please you cannot speak of hypocrisy and use that to support your claim.! You are shooting yourself in the foot. The west claims to be better, so better is expected of them- otherwise Iraq could’ve kept it the way it was. African and Arab leaders don't even bother to pretend, so there is no real surprise.

I think Castro already pointed this out to you above.

Raamsade   

Originally posted by Castro:

Liberté, égalité, fraternité? That's the difference!

Are you saying those are uniquely French ideals? Don't people all over the world want and strife for freedom, equality and brotherhood? Even obscurantist fascists like Alshabaab believe (or give lip service?) in brotherhood, equality and liberty.

It called HYPOCRISY when you don't practice what you preach? Capice?

But isn't that what the world wanted? When the French had an Empire and went around the world with "Mission civilisatrice," were they not condemned as evil imperialists? So when the French don't practice what they preach abroad it's good but when don't practice what they preach domestically it's no good? Who is really hypocritical here?

Iran's totalitarian regime doesn't bother pretending there are freedoms or equality so they can do whatever they want but

But this is about you and who you condemn. Who cares what Iranian regimes pretends. You have the freedom to criticize everyone but you (by that I don't mean specifically you but all of Sarkozy's detractors) choose to criticize France. If you believe that all people are created equal and all people can and should be held accountable for their actions, then you must condemn all who trample on personal freedoms. We must condemn the Iranian regime's curtailing of personal freedoms of Muslim women with the same alacrity as we condemn France's. I would argue more because the violations of personal freedoms are more egregious in Iran than in France.

Lets hold all violators of personal freedoms equally responsible.

Atheer, I'm no fan of niqaab but I, Sarkozy and everyone else should mind their damn business.

Me too.