Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Somali Ringtones

Abtigiis   

Now, imagine you are sitting relaxed in barber shop owned by Somali’s and enjoying the recuperation of your head as old hair is cut down. Suddenly, one loud voice startles you and wakes you up of the nice false sleep. It was coming from a Samsung cellphone a man next to you was holding, which given the volume and the vibration mode it was on, sounded more like a fire alert than a call. Worse, the guy looks at it, shakes his head and lets it ring. What followed was what ended my day in big acrimony. Suddenly the Kaman that preceded the song ended, and a voice came out: Ileen Xero dhurwaa galay, xoolo kuma nagaadaan. I laughed out loud to the displeasure of the owner of the phone.

I have seen and heard of many bizarre choices of some people when it comes to ringtones, but this one was too funny for me. What is the relevance of a hyena ransacking goats to the man? Perhaps it is an enduring legacy of his upbringing and his deep attachment to his cultural roots. For me, he looked more reasonable than the guy whose phone repeatedly blurted out Come on, let’s do it, let do it again somewhere in the middle of the third Raka’ of the Maqrib salat in a mosque.

Which brings me to one observation I have made concerning this issue. Ringtones sometimes tell us more about the personal preferences, attitudes, and even philosophies of cell phone owners. It is not by happenstance Eedo Cudbi’s ringtone is Goodadle, goodadloow, hoow godadle from last year. I hear my uncle has married a younger wife, using the remittances I sent to him. Not only did she change her ringtone since then, but she is not speaking to me either.

Ibtisam   

Come on, let’s do it, let do it again somewhere in the middle of the third Raka’ of the Maqrib salat in a mosque.

LOL waalii.

MZanzi   

Eedo Cudbi’s ringtone is Goodadle, goodadloow, how godadle from last year. I hear my uncle has married a younger wife, using the remittances I sent to him. Not only did she change her ringtone since then, but she is not speaking to me either.

:D:D:D nice come back

^ A&T wax la'aan ma soo noqdo waxun waxay noqotaba wu la soo noqoni and we all love these clasical short stories of A&T.

....Ringtones sometimes tell us more about the personal preferences, attitudes, and even philosophies of cell phone owners.

100% agree with you sxb! balse the owner of that ..Ileen Xero dhurwaa galay, xoolo kuma nagaadaan ringtone ninkaas waa nis caynke ah ayaad is leedahay bal? smile.gif

N.O.R.F   

A&T is back!

It is not by happenstance Eedo Cudbi’s ringtone is Goodadle, goodadloow, hoow godadle from last year. I hear my uncle has married a younger wife, using the remittances I sent to him. Not only did she change her ringtone since then, but she is not speaking to me either.

You're not the only one caught up in such a situation saxib :D

Abtigiis   

Allamagan,

Fitishaari buu xidhnaa waxaana la igu yidhi he is a big businessman. Dukaan weyn ayuu ku leeyahay meel 'Location' ah in South Africa.

Salaada jimcaha ayuu gadhka u xiiranayey.

Norf,

I know your predicaments on the subject. Waadigii ii sheegay. :D:D

Cawaale   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tolka:

Now, imagine you are sitting relaxed in barber shop owned by Somali’s and enjoying the recuperation of your head as old hair is cut down.

Illeen you were one of the few with Hair :D

Come on, let’s do it, let do it again somewhere in the middle of the third Raka’ of the Maqrib salat in a mosque.

The most bizarre Ringtone i heard in middle of prayer was coming from this Xawaalad guy who regularly prays with us at the masjid, one of those brothers you would ask them to lead the prayer if the imam is late or not around. any ways the brother had a woman's voice as ringtone and and whilst setting for the "Tashahud" (Ataxaatka). she goes "Hello, Hello. Aboowe Mcaanoow taleefanka ma iga qabatidooo" in a very naughty tune and of course there was man answering to the lady. :confused:

kuwo ka daranan waan arkay, laakin kaas waa iga yaabiyay sxb.

Ibtisam   

^^^LOOOOOL @ Hello, Hello. Aboowe Mcaanoow taleefanka ma iga qabatidooo" Naughty voice!!! lool- maybe your shock just made you think it was naughty.

Old somali ladies who their kids give them phones crack me up. The kids put hip-hop or R&B on at top volume. redface.gif Then it takes them so long to answer the phone! redface.gif

Cawaale   

^they are enjoying their *((*& song or what ever they call it. i always wondered how they Distinguish if this song belongs to this rapper or that one.

Ibti, just the other day a good friend of mine who gives halaqs received a call in the middle of the halaqah and he had a Bollywood song as a ring-tone. little did he know everybody was staring at him. the poor guy at least if he had Aaliyah like sister in his halaqah she wouldn't mind him thou. being Bollywood fan she would understand ;)

he was like "Khud Celmii, wola taakhud Camalii" :cool:

Ibtisam   

^^^Nice of him not defend his actions, and say this is hala Bollywood. I did not know Aaliya likes Bollywood! :D lol

They don't even speak english I doubt they know the rapper. Often I offer to change it for them to a normal Phone ring.

NGONGE   

:D:D

The best one I heard was on a very crowded train. People were stuck together in the carriage like sardines. Suddenly, we started hearing very loud moaning sounds (like those you would hear in dirty movies) then this young black kid took out his phone and started talking as if nothing has happened.

My ringtone changes by the week. It's mostly the kids recording the latest song (in their own voices) that they think will irritate me the most.

Salma   

funny.... I am very classical when it comes to phone ringtones,,,, I don't like to put funky things (tell me what you choose for ur phone ringtone, I tell you who you are)... But gotta admit, I enjoy hearing funny things like a baby laugh, or a catty voice, or "You've got a message a message a message" that will make you feel curious "What is the content of this message" LOL

And the funny things when ppl personalize their ringtones according to the caller: I remember an office colleague who used to put different ringtones for different callers, and one day I heard "a Police car alarm", I really laughed coz I thought that the caller would be someone with a high position in the CID or something when I inquired about the caller, guess what? that was his wife :D

nuune   

I don't use ring tones, never, just vibrations only.

The last ringtone I heard from maryooleey was this "taleefanka qabo aabahaa cunee",

this is madness, how can someone have a ringtone like dat, and to the worse, this was coming from a lady.

Abtigiis   

Nokia tune is the default for me. It will make you feel at ease wherever, even amid meetings.

I met a man who has "halkaad nagala socotaan waa idaacada BBC London" and the tune that follows as a ringtone. :D