Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Too much uunsi

0328perfume.jpg

Woman's scent not 'Very Irrésistible' to Calgary bus drivers

A Calgary transit rider says she was kicked off a city bus twice because the drivers complained about her perfume.

But Natalie Kuhn says she doesn't believe her Very Irrésistible by Givenchy was the real issue, arguing she was publicly humiliated because Calgary's transit staff are in the midst of a work-to-rule campaign.

"It's just a little too coincidental that I've been riding the bus without incident for five years and the first day of work-to-rule is when all this fuss happens."

Deb Angus, who works as an assistant at the University of Calgary (a campus that has a Scent-Free Awareness Program), said she sides with the bus driver because perfume causes pain across her head and whole left side.

"It's very difficult to work once I am under the influence of perfume," she said.

"These chemicals are affecting everything from our blood pressure, our nervous system, our lungs and our eyes and our major organs."

Angus said she wouldn't be surprised if a bus driver suffered in silence for a while before approaching Kuhn about the problem.

"That's the common thing with a lot of sufferers because this is a hard subject to bring up to people."

Kicked off Friday and Monday

The union representing Calgary's transit workers began a work-to-rule campaign Friday morning, refusing to work voluntary overtime.

Kuhn said a bus driver warned her Thursday morning that he couldn't focus because of her perfume and asked her to not wear it again. She said she checked with the city and was told there were no rules against wearing perfume.

On Friday morning, she got on the bus again and the driver walked off the vehicle, telling passengers it wasn't going anywhere because of Kuhn's perfume, she said.

Very irresistible, indhiidh.

Haneefah   

I heard this on the news recently, and I found it quite odd for her to have been kicked off the bus, very un-Canadian eh? Are Calgarians this crude? I understand that some people might be allergic to perfumes or simply hate all fragrances, but this was a bit extreme and embarrassing.

I have to admit though, I'm not too fond of Givenchy fragrances myself; esp Very Irresistible, it's quite strong and tasteless...reminds me of Chanel and Elizabeth Taylor type of scents.

Baluug   

I read this in the paper the other day. LOL it makes me wonder how much perfume she's wearing, if the driver had to actually get off the bus!! But if there are people like this driving the buses and obviously don't deal very well with the public, it's time to get a new job.

Som@li   

Many times I almost fainted at Mosque due extreme oriental perfumes some men wear , and they call it is Sunnah :mad: , too much of everything is not good!

-Lily-   

^^ I know what you mean, last Ramadan during tarawih prayers I nearly passed out and fell over the balcony into the mens section because of this womans strong catar. There is no need to advertise, perfumes should be as private as underwear.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Dabshid:

Many times I almost fainted at Mosque due extreme oriental perfumes some men wear , and they call it is Sunnah :mad: , too much of everything is not good!

:D

RedSea   

I thought MMA was actually talking about the real deal, uunsi.

deodarant and little of perfume is all you need saaxib.

Dabshid, you know why? because you and Northerner live in freaking Arab country, that is where the thing is used the most..uff.

Som@li   

You have something against Arab countries? Cadar or Uunsi are used in most Islamic countries.

Guys, is it normal for a man to use Uunsi? I have seen this practise here and was shocked?

STOIC   

This reminds me of a story that I think I did share it here .A while back I used to work for this credit Card machine making company.There were few Halimo's working with us on the floor.One of the Somali sister had the habit of wearing a very strong Perfume (or was it the uunssi?).Many people in the company complained in a diplomatic way without seeming to be intruding someone space.One of the whiners approached me about my "freind" behaviour of wearing the Asthma eliciting smell.I had to take myself out of the equation for there is no way a Somali brother will approach a Somali sister about her perfume.This was no-no-no situation for I have learned when I was young and inocent that I should always turn my back when I see someone spreading their legs under the "UUNSII" pot :D .

Hunguri   

Dabshid sxb, you forgot the "Pakistan Battans and the Indian Malbaris". Oh my God!!! I would rather faint due to the strong cuud/uunsi/perfume than the bad smell that emerge some1 at the mosqoue. Cuudkaa iyo cadarkasaa la qaatay. The mosques at Farajal Marar and Suuq Dahab need to be reported to the Ministery of Awqaaf and relegion affairs.

Originally posted by Dabshid:

Soomaalida nimankooda dad catar marsado ma ahaan jirin, but dad ayaa increasingly hadda wax la dhahay jannaa ku galeysiin u marsado. I never was mid marsado catar, not once, and mana u maleeyi I will. I have sanboor, oo taas igu filan; teeda kalena waligey ma jecleen catar, qaab baas u uraa [carfaa?]

Kuwa qaar waxaa jiro masaajidka ku jiro markee isku bilbilaan ka bacdi kuu soo taagaayo, and if you politely decline, ganfuurka kuu taagaayo. Xoog miyaana? Wah.