Saalax

Sanaag: Somalia clans secure peace with death sentences and hefty fines after 38 dead & 104 injured

Saalax   

Somalia clans secure peace with death sentences and hefty fines

By Will RossBBC Newsroom, Africa Editor

18 March 2018

Two rival Somali clans have signed up to a groundbreaking peace deal which aims to end the cycle of revenge killings.

Following three weeks of mediation, the rival Sa'ad Yoonis and Ba'iido clans in the disputed Sanaag region reached an agreement on harsh new rules.

Now, anyone found guilty of carrying out a revenge killing or vendetta will face a death sentence.

The family of the perpetrator will also have to pay a $100,000 (£72,000) fine.

There has long been tension between many Somali clans due to rivalry and competition over resources such as grazing land for livestock or access to water.

But vendettas going back generations have added to the violence and the cycle of revenge has been extremely hard to break.

Ahmed Bahir Mahmood, an MP, said they hoped the new strict measures would work.

"The punishments that have been agreed are more severe than before. Now we have decided the person must be killed - life for a life - and his family must hand him in," he told the BBC.

"If someone comes to a communal area like a bore hole or a grazing area with a gun then the army or the police should confiscate the gun. If he refuses to hand over the weapon they should shoot him straight away in the head."

Reports from the Sanaag region, which is claimed by both the self-declared republic of Somaliland and by Somalia's autonomous state of Puntland say that last year 23 people were killed and 65 were injured during one incident involving the two clans.

Earlier this year in response to that attack, 15 people were killed and 39 others were injured.

The previous feuds have now been settled with blood money, and more has been paid for funerals.

But now the rules have changed with the new punishments.

Officials from Somaliland mediated the discussions, and under the agreement any perpetrators are to be handed over to the authorities in the capital, Hargeisa.

Other death sentences have been commuted to lengthy prison sentences.

In Somali society, if someone commits a murder and manages to escape, his clan is held responsible. As a result, many innocent people can easily become the victims of these vendettas simply because they happen to belong to a certain clan.

For that reason, many Somalis are likely to support strict punishments to end the cycle of violence - if the rules could be replicated by other Somali clans in the region.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43450535

Somalia.png

Oodweyne   

First of all, Sanaag region is not in "disputed region". And the clans that have settled their beef are Somalilanders, through and through, no matter how much some "sheegato" tries to insinuate things to be otherwise.

Secondly, I know some folks were hoping for this "open-sore" to continue to bleed so that they every time there is a "flare-up" of this "wound" and there new fresh casualties from it, they can then have "wretched jig"and a dance on top of those "newly-dig-graves", since they are fraud and political impostors, who could only take pleasure from any self-inflicted wound within Somaliland. As opposed to come for Somaliland in the manly sense of coming to meet one's enemies. 

Hence, all told, it's a good news, and it's one hell of a kick-to-the-groin of all those "sheegatto" who wanted this particularly "open-sore" to continue a bit while longer so that they will have their silly slogans about "Jeegaan this" or "Jeegaan that" having a newly flare-up fight in Sanaag region.

I know my blood-cousins (the ever brave, Sacad-Yonis) will "honor" this finality of a deal. And they will abide by it. And if I may say something about them in here, I can actually say, that, in all honesty without them "Sacad-Yonis-'s hardy boys", the then SNM's insurgents forces (battling out in Sanaag front against Gen. Barre's forces) would have never liberated Sanaag region in 1990.

And that was long before Gen. Barre was actually chased away from Mogadishu. For Sanaag was only region in the whole of the Somaliland's regions that was in actuality in  the hand of the SNM's insurgents forces long before Gen. Barre even left his capital in Mogadishu in January of 1991.

Moreover, I am sure these Ceel-Afweyn's fellows will see to it that will be the last we will hear this "nonsensical fratricide" they have been having, on and off, with their "maternal cousin", namely the Biciido. And from now on, both  sub-clans will see to it to "faithfully" observed this final deal. And if they don't now they know the Somaliland's government will come down on the party that have "broken" the pact, like a ton of bricks (as it were).

It really is a good news for Somaliland. For we have a fight in our hand, in-terns of politically, in-terms of diplomatically, and therefore we can't really afford "internal division" now within our country.

The election is over. Everyone should get in line, take a number, defend the nation with all your heart and guts, and "get with the freaking program".

And speaking of "getting on with Program", did I mentioned before as to how much I really despise and detest that Mr Cirro fellow of Wadani party. For every time he opens his mouth, he is given an aide and comfort to "our enemies" just because he "lost" a presidential election and he can't really get over that.

Apparently, some men are not really "not-meant-to-be-first-rank-politicians" but a "third-rate-apparatchik", who never get-over the hurts and sharp-elbows they got it along the way. For they would rather "nurse" their "bruised feelings" about those who "bested" them in politics than to "lick-their-wounds" in private and come back, in another day, roaring into the ring, ready for a political tussle against all comers (as it were). 

Hence, to me the sooner, Mr Cirro is forced out from the leadership of Wadani party and is replaced by his deputy, Ambassador Mahmoud Ali (of Awdal region) or by Mr C/Qaadir Jirdeh, or even Mr Hirsi Gaab, the better the Wadani party will be.

But this Cirro guy, really has to go. For he has no idea what he is doing. And the worse of it all is that he is "constant help" to "our enemies". Not on a deliberate basis on his part but he doesn't know any better.

That is why he has to go from the leadership of this national Wadani party. For we can't have a leader of one of our three only party actively (even if it's inadvertently) helping "our enemies" with every public and political pronouncements he makes about any issue of the day.

Saalax   
40 minutes ago, Che -Guevara said:

Good deal if this will stop these !diots from killing each other.

Sharia law is indeed good.

Oodweyne   
16 minutes ago, Saalax said:

Oodweyne stop the nonsense.  They are Somalia clans as they are part of Somalia.  The bbc is correct.

If that tendentious idea actually floats your "political boat" then see to it to knock yourself with it, mate. 

Saalax   
3 minutes ago, Oodweyne said:

If that tendentious idea actually floats your "political boat" then see to it to knock yourself with it, mate. 

It is the reality niyohow.The Ceel Afweyn community are proud Somalis no "Ethiopia wa walalaheen" nonsense. 

Oodweyne   
7 minutes ago, Saalax said:

It is the reality niyohow.The Ceel Afweyn community are proud Somalis no "Ethiopia wa walalaheen" nonsense. 

There you are still the "wretched sheegatto", I see. Whatever man!

wakandan   
9 minutes ago, Saalax said:

The only nonsense is your pathetic grasp on reality :D

My fellow Sanaag countrymen are wrapped in green white and red

Saalax   
10 minutes ago, wakandan said:

The only nonsense is your pathetic grasp on reality :D

My fellow Sanaag countrymen are wrapped in green white and red

Somalia clans secure peace with death sentences.  :)

galbeedi   

OOdweyne,

Cirro is not tough enough to challenge Biixi and company, yet you want him to carry the water for BIixi just like Faysal. One thing we both agree is Cirro must be replaced .

The opposition needs a tough person that puts fire on the feet of Ina Biixi.

Inflation is destroying the lives of the people. They have no solutions for the problems. The electronic money that was forced to the people had reached hundreds of millions and the business people can not upload to buy dollars for their goods.

This government does not have solutions for these problems. OOweyne, if I were you I would have joined WAddani and get to the program.

Oodweyne   
36 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

OOdweyne,

Cirro is not tough enough to challenge Biixi and company, yet you want him to carry the water for BIixi just like Faysal. One thing we both agree is Cirro must be replaced .

The opposition needs a tough person that puts fire on the feet of Ina Biixi.

Inflation is destroying the lives of the people. They have no solutions for the problems. The electronic money that was forced to the people had reached hundreds of millions and the business people can not upload to buy dollars for their goods.

This government does not have solutions for these problems. OOweyne, if I were you I would have joined WAddani and get to the program.

I am not good at "retail politics", but policy formulation. But still for what is worth, I prefer not to join any political party in fear of losing track of reality of what is important.

And to me, what is important is Somaliland. Not a party politics with their-here-today-and-gone-tomorrow's political agenda.

For when you join a party, you became a party man and you do the "bidding" of that party even if you could see through your conscious that party is wrong in some areas you are forced to defend it or even are expected to go along with it.

Hence, I would rather stick with my "pristine affiliation" towards Somaliland without that "attachment" being "filtered" through a party political agenda of the day.

As for Wadani, here is the list of leadership I want this party to have at their leader before next year parliamentary election (2019). And by then have that leader at the helm of the party in 2022 presidential election. and they are in this order.

1- Ambassador Mahamoud Ali (from Awdal region), I want him to be the leader of Wadani party by the time the presidential election comes around in 2022. And he will be excellence chance to beat anybody Kulmiye party bring forward to be their leader. 

2- Mr Cabdiqaadir Jirdeh, who is another excellent leader, very articulate, very point-by-point debater and will kill any leader from Kulmiye's party with facts. He is exceptionally good parliamentarians and will wipe the floor with anyone.

These two men are, in my opinion, the two men who will give Wadani party its best chance of winning power (both in parliament in 2019 and the presidency in 2022).

Furthermore, by 2022, Kulmiye party have been in power in twelve (12) consecutive years. Hence, it's important for our own long-term durability as a democratic state, that, the other party must be in given the chance to try its hand on power.

And this means the Wadani party must really bring its best and most capable leader at the helm to "contest" against anyone Kulmiye will nominate.

And I gather Kulmiye's party will be bringing a Khatumo's fellow, if the rumors are to be believed. And the Hargeisa's rumor mill is putting its money on certain chap by the of Mr Koore (the current Water minister) from Sool region to be the sixth (6) president of Somaliland after President Biixi's term finishes in 2022.

And the Kulmiye's party internal discussion seems to be buzzing with the notion of "nominating" him, since he can bring in all of Sool's electoral votes into Kulmiye's party by 2022 presidential election. Just as President Rayale had brought all of Awdal's electoral votes into then UDUB party he was in-charge of during the 2003 presidential election.

And that is why it's important that Wadani must also get rid off this Cirro guy before that date, and then bring some fresh face for the challenge ahead, preferably Ambassador Ali or Mr Jirdeh. 

galbeedi   

I think west Burco want one more kick at the can. Both Mohamed Cali and Jirde are great but might be able to raise the campaign money needed for the campaign.

I think Biixi will collapse with his own weight and poor management style. Neither Cali Koore Nor Faysal Waraabe will save Kulmiye. 

Oodweyne   
24 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

I think west Burco want one more kick at the can. Both Mohamed Cali and Jirde are great but might be able to raise the campaign money needed for the campaign.

I think Biixi will collapse with his own weight and poor management style. Neither Cali Koore Nor Faysal Waraabe will save Kulmiye. 

I know the clannish argument. But Wadani party will be a national party or nothing. And when sober mind gets to think things through they will realized that with Mahoud Ali or C/Jirdeh, they both are a better candidates for Wadani party than the ones the West burco's clan has it now (as a national politicians). Provided Dr Gaboose declines to throw his hat onto the ring and be the leader of Wadani party, since he is from West Burco's clan.

Hence, it will be the scenario of UDUB party all over again. Which means, this West Burco clan will be the backbone of the party (meaning Wadani party) but Mr Ali or Mr jirdeh will be for this party what President Rayale was to UDUB between the years of 2003 to 2010.

That is the only scenario I can see for Wadani winning power in 2022. Not With Mr Cirro at the helm. 

It always good to be "brutally honest" with your clan. In particularly in the sense of saying to them that if you want to compete for the top post of the nation then bring your best man (if you happen to have one around). But not this Cirro fellow, who is half-sleep half of the time. And for good measure helping our enemies the other half of the time, perhaps inadvertently, but still all the same, he is helping the Somaliland's enemies. 

As for Kulmiye, if I were you I would watch this Mr Koore fellow of Sool region. He really will be going places, politically speaking. And he will be there at the top of the party's nomination election time for the presidency, when the party start having its nominating process.

And it will be between Mr Waran-Cadde (who really is a washed-out politician with nothing to show for it in-terms of his multiple membership of parties throughout the years) on one hand.

And Mr Koore of Sool region, on the other hand, who in turn will promise to Kulmiye party to bring on all of Sool's voters into the party, were he to be nominated as the party leader going into the 2022 presidential election. It will be a tough battle within Kulmiye, but I think, Mr Koore, has it in the bag. But we shall see.   

Saalax   

Oodweyne is politically naive if he thinks WADANI party will simply be handed over to reer Awdal (despite being  divided 50-50) when they pay back the favour the west Burco community did for Riyaale who voted for him over 90% then it will be handed over to them. Nothing is free in this world.