Saalax

Sanaag: Somalia clans secure peace with death sentences and hefty fines after 38 dead & 104 injured

Saalax   

Somalia clans secure peace with death sentences and hefty fines

By Will RossBBC Newsroom, Africa Editor

18 March 2018

Two rival Somali clans have signed up to a groundbreaking peace deal which aims to end the cycle of revenge killings.

Following three weeks of mediation, the rival Sa'ad Yoonis and Ba'iido clans in the disputed Sanaag region reached an agreement on harsh new rules.

Now, anyone found guilty of carrying out a revenge killing or vendetta will face a death sentence.

The family of the perpetrator will also have to pay a $100,000 (£72,000) fine.

There has long been tension between many Somali clans due to rivalry and competition over resources such as grazing land for livestock or access to water.

But vendettas going back generations have added to the violence and the cycle of revenge has been extremely hard to break.

Ahmed Bahir Mahmood, an MP, said they hoped the new strict measures would work.

"The punishments that have been agreed are more severe than before. Now we have decided the person must be killed - life for a life - and his family must hand him in," he told the BBC.

"If someone comes to a communal area like a bore hole or a grazing area with a gun then the army or the police should confiscate the gun. If he refuses to hand over the weapon they should shoot him straight away in the head."

Reports from the Sanaag region, which is claimed by both the self-declared republic of Somaliland and by Somalia's autonomous state of Puntland say that last year 23 people were killed and 65 were injured during one incident involving the two clans.

Earlier this year in response to that attack, 15 people were killed and 39 others were injured.

The previous feuds have now been settled with blood money, and more has been paid for funerals.

But now the rules have changed with the new punishments.

Officials from Somaliland mediated the discussions, and under the agreement any perpetrators are to be handed over to the authorities in the capital, Hargeisa.

Other death sentences have been commuted to lengthy prison sentences.

In Somali society, if someone commits a murder and manages to escape, his clan is held responsible. As a result, many innocent people can easily become the victims of these vendettas simply because they happen to belong to a certain clan.

For that reason, many Somalis are likely to support strict punishments to end the cycle of violence - if the rules could be replicated by other Somali clans in the region.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43450535

Somalia.png

Saalax   

Oodweyne stop the nonsense.  They are Somalia clans as they are part of Somalia.  The bbc is correct.

Saalax   
40 minutes ago, Che -Guevara said:

Good deal if this will stop these !diots from killing each other.

Sharia law is indeed good.

Saalax   
3 minutes ago, Oodweyne said:

If that tendentious idea actually floats your "political boat" then see to it to knock yourself with it, mate. 

It is the reality niyohow.The Ceel Afweyn community are proud Somalis no "Ethiopia wa walalaheen" nonsense. 

wakandan   
9 minutes ago, Saalax said:

It is the reality niyohow.The Ceel Afweyn community are proud Somalis no "Ethiopia wa walalaheen" nonsense. 

The only nonsense is your pathetic grasp on reality :D

My fellow Sanaag countrymen are wrapped in green white and red

Saalax   
10 minutes ago, wakandan said:

The only nonsense is your pathetic grasp on reality :D

My fellow Sanaag countrymen are wrapped in green white and red

Somalia clans secure peace with death sentences.  :)

galbeedi   

OOdweyne,

Cirro is not tough enough to challenge Biixi and company, yet you want him to carry the water for BIixi just like Faysal. One thing we both agree is Cirro must be replaced .

The opposition needs a tough person that puts fire on the feet of Ina Biixi.

Inflation is destroying the lives of the people. They have no solutions for the problems. The electronic money that was forced to the people had reached hundreds of millions and the business people can not upload to buy dollars for their goods.

This government does not have solutions for these problems. OOweyne, if I were you I would have joined WAddani and get to the program.

galbeedi   

I think west Burco want one more kick at the can. Both Mohamed Cali and Jirde are great but might be able to raise the campaign money needed for the campaign.

I think Biixi will collapse with his own weight and poor management style. Neither Cali Koore Nor Faysal Waraabe will save Kulmiye. 

Saalax   

Oodweyne is politically naive if he thinks WADANI party will simply be handed over to reer Awdal (despite being  divided 50-50) when they pay back the favour the west Burco community did for Riyaale who voted for him over 90% then it will be handed over to them. Nothing is free in this world.

Unless there is deep reconciliation, and going back to OLD  tradition, gabdho la is waydaarsan, unfortunately, It could come back.

DUUL isku ciil qaba weli, $100K fine is nothing

Saalax   
18 minutes ago, maakhiri1 said:

Unless there is deep reconciliation, and going back to OLD  tradition, gabdho la is waydaarsan, unfortunately, It could come back.

DUUL isku ciil qaba weli, $100K fine is nothing

We don't want their gabadho sxb.  Nowadays a lot of Ceel Afweyn men are actually marrying southern girls here in UK specially the cadcad types  :) . I myself I am looking for a woman from Baydhabo.  :D