Sign in to follow this  
king_450

I will be Harsh To Some Somali Women!

king_450   

Recently i have been in Australia and what i have encountered out there amazed me much.Culturally,

The pride and honour of Somali families is considered to rest mainly on women. If a girl is well brought up and maintains her dignity, she reflects well on her family, and conversely, if she behaves poorly she brings them shame. A girl's behaviour is therefore considered very important and Somali families may be seen as strict by any other societies standard.

Having said that Somali women have never used their husband's surname after marriage because of their culture. Instead, they carry their father's surname forever. The children from a Somali marriage will always carry their father's surname. This has been the Somali tradition for generations. But i came to Australia and i have met several somali women who married to non-somali men, and oh boy they are using their husband's last name, why is the change ladies?

Miriam1   

Let me put it this way, if these certain women are willing to marry a kafir white man then taking his name isnt such a shocking thing !

Ps. The same should apply to men.

I have really a mixed oppinions about this. As an Amerikaan loving Nomad i think women have everyright to marry who ever they want, but in other hand as a true patriotic-somaliyaan i believe its not our dhaqan to marry non-soomaliyaans.

But i would go with the latter one, and would advice xaliimos to stick with their Somaliyaan husbands, or risk being called *(&%&*%&^%.

king_450   

Dear Nomad/Nomadette, my intention hee is not to raise whether someone can marry or can't different race or gender, but why when some of our Culturally inclined sisters, get married to a different u know being, change their name, for instance imagine your sister's name is

Xalimo Ali Ali and you came back to see her all of sudden her name is Xalima Richard Kupchick imagine that, , so yes any men or women can marry whoever they fell into it, but why change ur name? why? don't comprehend it

Xalimo7   

Huh , hey king450 i see you picked my name over all the other names, why?

imagine i changed my name to xalimo king450 ? Hmmm

Anyway for a serious note walaal macaan.

Changing your name is a very personal decision. Some women are very comfortable doing so while others, like myself, are not so comfortable. There are several alternatives available. I do beleive however that many who have done this say they feel like they have a split personality -- maybe that is why we are seeing a lot of mental problem in our society now days, lost in this open environment, i don't know, but i think it is a serious issue to be concerned about, before changing any name. Walaal i hope we don't see Somali Men taking non traditional names, if you know what i mean, like john, richard, frazier,cupcake,honeybee,etc.