Sign in to follow this  
Lui

Tourism in Somalia

Lui   

I read very interesting books wrote Somali women.I thought that people living in Somalia, will tell about one's country. What does "injera" mean? What means "halaleiso" or "dirrah" or "Id"....?

Therefore I want to inquire more but I see, that is not easy answered onto questions about life in Somalia :(

N.O.R.F   

Lui

There are part of Somalia that are safe. Somaliland in the north west is safe and a welcoming hub for tourists. There are many UN workers from Europe/Asia there. Many have internet blogs but check this one out >> Inside Somaliland which has alot of information your looking for and it comes from a non-Somali which will help in making up your mind.

uchi   

What book would that be Lui...Do tell.

Regarding the Somali words -

Dirrah = Female dress.

Id = Either an Islamic fesitival or Somali word for Sand -

Not sure what halaleiso means, but its something to do with cursing I believe :D

LANDER   

Originally posted by Northerner:

Lui

There are part of Somalia that are safe. Somaliland in the north west

^^Blasphemous, we should send you back to reform school to further indoctrinate you, seems you have wandered astray. :D

On a serious note what has happened to you saxiib?

Do you know there are foreigners, academics, professional and avg people, whom regularly go out of there way in casual conversation to highlight the distinction between Somaliland as an independent entity (or a de-facto sovereign entity) and yet here you are a son of Mandeeq propagating popular belief. You'd be suprised the interest some people have when you state "I am from Somaliland", and how they subsequently tell other people and those people tell others etc...It might sound like political activism to you and some people nowadays seem to think they're above all this "pety" politiking but I think thats a real perceptive problem. Point is a sentence or two informing people about Somaliland will not eat up significant amount of time in your day, and I think as Somalilanders it is vital we do so. Alot of us young folk who grew up in the west, seem to be very careless about our country.

I'll tell you a short lil story. Few weeks ago I was introduced to a polish girl who majors in political science and she asked me what my background was to which I replied I was Somali. She than went on to inquire whether I was from Somaliland or Somalia which kinda caught me off guard, I was a lil puzzled as to how this east european immigrant even knew the distinction between the two, but I went to explain to her that I was a Somalilander and asked how she knew about it. She said she learned of it in a course and preceded to ask me more specific questions about Somaliland and this whole time I'm siting there still half-amazed this girl knows all of this. two days later she introduces me to another friend of hers, and he too asks what my background was, and I answered once again I'm somali to which he replied "Oh your from Somalia" before I could even respond the girl intervene and told the guy "No he's from Somaliland", obviously the guy had a dumb founded look on his face at hearing Somaliland but nonetheless that girl was willing to explain to him the difference and that is what suprised me. When I think about how many young somalilanders are ignorant about the political aspirations of their nation-state and I contrast that with this girl, it is odd to say the least.

I guess we {as Somalilanders} lack what some business people call "The ability to think BIG" Imagine for one, that young people from 16 to 21 would have mandatory classes teaching them about their homeland be it culture, anthropology, politics etc...they would develop a keen interest and attachment to their motherland and the interests of their homeland. Basicly indoctrination similar to that of China and the communist party but much more liberal and very less authoritarian after all we don't want to turn into another Barre facist state. Heck Northerner I think you and I could both use some of them classes, perhaps they might teach us how to write proper somali :D . Another idea would be mandatory military service for males 18-25 they must serve at least 2 yrs before their 25th birthday something along the lines of what France had and Israel,Eritrea and South Korea have today. Anyway I've gone way off topic but I guess you get my point. I think Somaliland is at a juncture in its history where some of it's people (In particular those living abroad) with very small gestures, can make a significant difference in the future of the state.

N.O.R.F   

^^waar iwaran inadheer

I avoided getting 'political' as a) it would deviate from a simple enquiry into Somali tourist trails b) the link i provided has more information on Somaliland and c) i didnt want to turn this thread into a political blah blah.

But what you said has some weight, many people are starting to take notice of Somaliland. Nowadays i am asked many times where i am from (a non arab speaking but arab looking gentleman :D )and i never miss the opportunity of talking about the plight of Somalis over the last 18 years and the independence of Somaliland.

Just last week i was asked the question. I said i'm Somali, the small indian fella asked Somaliland? i said yes how did you come know of Somaliland? then he tells me that his freind and his wife (both Indian) are teaching English at a UN school in Hargaisa and are apparently enjoying their time there. Its a small world and Indians are everywhere but hey that was news to me ears.

Somaliland and Somalilanders are at a cross roads indeed, but thats for another forum ;)

ps goor ma Hargaisa kugu dambeesey? Si baad ugu riyaaqeysaa-e :D

Lui   

Northerner, excellent side! Thank you very much for blog. So, they are informations which interest me. I am grateful for you. Somalia this very exotic country for me. I have images beautiful about Somalia from books and internet. I have hope that once I will compare my image with reality…

I read books:

“Desert Flowers†and “Nomadów Daughter†- Waris Dirie, “Tear on sand’ –Nura Abdi

You read it?

In Polish books about Somalia I read that: “… in Somalia it does not have government, it does not have president is anarchy ….†Is this truth?

Simply_I   

Originally posted by Lui:

“… in Somalia it does not have government, it does not have president is anarchy ….†Is this truth?

Well of coooourse it doesn't!!

:confused: :confused: Cant you think of any other destination for your so called holiday?? There are plenty of places worldwide with gorvernments, less poverty, and presidents.

Oh my goodness!! Lui amigos you are beginning to get a bit annoying now.

You seem to be informed ALREADY. Why ask questions that you already have the answers for you tweak??

Now shoooh :eek: intaana laad kuu gu darin.

Gabbal   

After all the trouble gone through by our Somaliland brothers, this was the response they got:

Originally posted by Lui:

Northerner, excellent side! Thank you very much for blog. So, they are informations which interest me. I am grateful for you.
Somalia
this very exotic country for me. I have images beautiful about
Somalia
from books and internet. I have hope that once I will compare my image with reality…

I read books:

“Desert Flowers†and “Nomadów Daughter†- Waris Dirie, “Tear on sand’ –Nura Abdi

You read it?

In Polish books about
Somalia
I read that: “… in
Somalia
it does not have government, it does not have president is anarchy ….†Is this truth?

Now this is a more believable response then hogwash stories! :D

Rahima   

Don't mind me, I'm just being a quuqle as always.

As always, but I like peace in a place I have to moderate smile.gif . We should be all amicable and respectful HA. We start with a salaam, have a lot of “I agree and that is so true†everywhere. If you disagree, preferable indicate in the following manner “Whilst I respect your opinion, I believe the case to be…â€. All nice and daisy like a Sunday morning :D (which its for moi at the moment).

This party pooping my old friend is making me nervous; I don’t want a full-blown war on my doorstep if you know what I mean :( . That is for the politics section and for MMA to clean the blood. I don’t want to soil my new summer outfit :cool: .

Good seeing you around also ;) .

Laba-X   

BeWare, she works for the CIA! pretending to be polish.

They are trying to get as much information from Somalia as they could. They are patrolling the coasts and have their marines there as we speak. They, also are working out strategies by which they could turn Somalia into another Iraq. The usual approach - It's a haven for Terrorists!

btw, Anyone watched that documentary on CH4 (UK) about Mogadishu the other night?

Castro   

^ Atheer with all the sophisticated surveillence and spy techniques out there, why would the CIA send a Polish student to spy on expat Somalis on a web forum such this?

Are you related to Alle-ubaahne by any chance? These things are usually hereditary. :D