Sign in to follow this  
Bambina

Behaviors in public meetings

Bambina   

Salam Alaykum

I havent posted a topic for almost a year and its good to be back.Well, my post is not to discredit my fellow Somalis , but I noticed a problem in our community.

For the past 2 years ,I attended 2 Somali Youth conferences held in Ottawa ,which mostly targeted adolescents regarding topics such as Islam,youth crimes,situations in Somalia etc...Interesting speakers come and talk about relevant topics and there comes the issue.

Sometimes, you dont get to hear what those wonderful guests have to say because parents , usually mothers come with their toddlers ,generally between 1 and 4 years-old.What would you expect from toddlers?They chase each other across the room and scream while guests try to speak and on top of that, adolescents 11 to 17 of age stand up talking instead of quietly listening to the speeches given. redface.gif

And guess what? The organizers of the event play the baby-sitters to toddlers and adolescents ,while mothers except few,dont even stop their kids.

I find this really disappointing because it shows a lack of respect regarding the organizers of the event ,the guest-speakers and the public attenting the event.I have seen the same problem occuring in all the Somali events that I attended.

Well, some people might refer Somalis as loud,which I see no problem with.But,I believe there's a right time to talk loud and a right time to keep it low.I mean , it should be obvious that silence is indeed required during conferences.Maybe organizers should hang a giant colorful sign with words such as: " Silence will be much appreciated , otherwise security will be called in "

Love them or hate them ,I cant stop caring about my fellow Somalis :D .I cannot and probably never will comprehend why Somalis are noisy in public events :( .I still dont wanna give up on them though ,any solutions? :D

Salaams Bambi. welc back. How rude of this people not to even bother replying to a sister?

What is up with that?

Anyway, am replying to you because I don’t wanna let you hanging. :D

Just kidding,good observations there darl;

To answer your Q, the suggestion will be to simply offer a small but decent play ground for the kids, or provide toys and or have a couple of volunteers to baby sit the little rascals.

Of course if it were up to me, I would have given them a major whoop A$$. I really don’t like MISBEHAVING CHILDREN. Someone should JAIL them.

And a simple strict rule of ‘NO KIDS’ should do.

Little advice, don’t sweat about Somalis, or else you will have a MIGRAINE.

STOIC   

Of course if it were up to me, I would have given them a major whoop A$$. I really don’t like MISBEHAVING CHILDREN. Someone should JAIL them.

And a simple strict rule of ‘NO KIDS’ should do.

^^^^ do not spoil the day for the dads who celebrated fathers day yesterday :D .Where is Baashi,Ngonge(doubt if they celebrate that in England), and Checkmate?

usually mothers come with their toddlers ,generally between 1 and 4 years-old.What would you expect from toddlers?They chase each other across the room and scream while guests try to speak and on top of that, adolescents 11 to 17 of age stand up talking instead of quietly listening to the speeches given. [Embarrassed]

I notice this same thing happening during Eid prayers every year. Somali parents need parenting courses. They need to start whooping some *** and descipline their little rascals. If I ever have kids and they turn out that way, I will probably be jailed for child abuse cos I can't tolerate that kind of sh't.

lol   

Maybe a seminar should be held for the mothers to show them how to handle their children and still come to the events, without being offensive. I am sure if u speak to them they will understand.. or as my brotha MMA said, provide play ground and ababy sitters!

The playground and baby sitters works wonders. Mashallah the important thing is 2 have more baby sitters than toddlers. As the toddlers could still run amok. Apart from that ,the meetings should be held in the afternoon/after lunch time, in time for the toddlers to take their daily nap. You will have less commution but there will be in need of another space allocation with the sign -Nap area shushhh

I agree with Hibo that the mothers still need to be taught toddler handling classes. As for the teenagers I believe the responsibility lies with the parents or whoever acts as the guardian on that day. They shouldnt leave their seats. Whats the use of them goin in the first place if they will be chit chatting??

Iffah   

Bambina, Somalis are getting with the program now. The last few conferences I've attended, they had a designated area for the children and volunteers to babysit them and keep them entertained (God bless them, coz some of those kids were a handful).