Sign in to follow this  
Maf Kees

The N-word

:D I know what you mean bro, You say the term nayaa and the whole world goes in slow motion' fo a minute, then it is boom! **censored**

But one thing I always asked myself' maybe the analytical people in here can help me out.

**NOTE** (All feminists) Warning Don’t quick attack me with your ideas and throw me a response with out thinking about it. *** This requires some thinking***

Ok back to what I was saying.

The term Naag means Women. Unless you have

a different dictionary.

If you look at the meaning it is woman, but the word has a negative interpretation with it by all. have you ever heard

"you walk or talk like a girl'

Said to a man is insulting and some girls would agree.

"you walk or talk like a man' or you are the man!'

Said to woman would be you are calling her tough or she did a good job.

Therefore, you see that society accepts being a man as something good, and being a girl something soft and weak. (Don’t hit me with a broom for it! it is a fact)

Sometimes I play around for a quick response and say to a girl “why you talking like a girl man"

and some of them they twitch to hold back their response; it is almost like they wanna say, no I am not!" :D It is like calling somebody who is African descendant...You just an African man! He will come back with a response like you said he is poor person. Or if you say " you black people' even tho the fact is you are black people, but it gives you the urge to scream 'RACISM!, even if it was said by a black person.

Ok, back to what my Question. What is the negativity behind the word Nayaa? What historical incidents have happened to cause this word to be negative? (like nigger is to-slavery) Why is it OK for other women to use it? What is the true meaning of the word and is there a dictionary that clearly gives it that definition.

*disclaimer*

What ever words you see above was written while in the state of unconsciousness! ( i hate to find my self in the ICU - these ladies nowadays know torture :eek: )

Therefore, you see that society accepts being a man as something good, and being a girl something soft and weak.

That's the answer to your question. Bal figure it out.

Maf Kees   

Digaale I feel you. Dig your avatar breh.

Women are so weird man. Just within this week I was talking to these two girls in my school on MSN and I concluded that there is something wrong with the female gender. The first girl was totally different on MSN than when we talk face to face. All wild and shit and normally she's the shyest girl in the whole wide world. Walee waan ka naxay. The other girl (I was talking to her for at least 2 solid hours right) and than she said something dumb wich made me laugh and boom: she ran away like a mother! Telling me she has to do some things in her house. Bullshit! She was mad as hell because this Farah was laughing his butt off on her comment.

Women. You gotta love 'em! :D

Dude daanyeerka caadi maha' I wouldnt want to see him face to face tho. then it be qoorsagaaro and sabaaxad at the same time

Listen tho bro, I dont undertstand why they portraying men as immature dumb sacks, yet women care so much what we say! talk about double standard. Recently there is this whole women movement to make the guys like sexual objects' like men are willing to do everything for women. Yes we take care of u, but u better have some respect. Sadly some men believe it and they getting sold at the dollar store.

Time to start the real talk!

Why hide behind the word Naya' u know he said it'

but does that mean he is an oppresser.

Women are powerstruck- anytime they wanna dominate they use the drama that women are being oppressed. yes some are, but the question is are you? who gave you the power to talk for or like that women? deal wit it..i know it is hot.

If you beleive women need to check themselves, doesnt make you male shovenist or an oppresser.

SPEAK OUT HOMIE

I SAY' NAYAA AND I MEAN WOMEN

which is the gender that you are. (be proud of it)

Zafir   

Let’s imagine Digaale’s house hold for a second.

Digaale’s wife: Waryaaa, gacmaha so mayro

Digaale: Nayaa, waan so mayrtay. :D

Guhaad   

follow up;

hadii kale, digaal iyo ooradiisa;

digaal; naa maxaa soo gaday

oor; qowdhanow waxna, lacagtaa ii gaari weysey

on the real, i think it is a cultural thing. to me, it seems an inappropiate way to address young female adults, but it is cool at your backyard. remember, the word is no magic, it is used for some reason, or some places. :rolleyes:

J.Lee   

SB: Thank you for the kind words: I'm overwhelmed maandhow.

To the above posters:

If you use nayaa to describe women and you believe that there is nothing wrong with its usage then you should have no problems addressing your mother(a woman)by that term.

Laakiinse hadaa eraygaas hooyadaa aada u quurin, then you shouldn't call another girl by that phrase: after all, these girls,insha'allah, are going to be somebody's mother: for all you know one of them might even be midaa calafkaada ku xidhan lahayd oo guri geysan lahayd.

Have a nice day smile.gif

Cara.   

Digaale,

**NOTE** (All feminists) Warning Don’t quick attack me with your ideas and throw me a response with out thinking about it. *** This requires some thinking***

Actually, feminists have thought about these questions, so hardly any offense taken. The answer is that most societies do consider women to be inferior to men and Somalis are no exception. "Nin baad tahay" is a compliment, "naag baad tahay" is an insult. The English versions have similar connotations. You can see the perception is slowly changing, so that "I AM WOMAN" was a battle cry for feminists during the first wave of feminism. But I can't quite see a time when "nayaa" from a guy would be acceptable. Fortunately reer mudug have taken to referring to both men and women as "waryaa" smile.gif . Odd at first, but it grows on you.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Jimca Lee:

My brothers seem to think inaa kas ama kibir daraadeed aan u sameenaayo but honestly, I don't even notice I'm doing it or why I do it.

Come again? :D

Haneefah   

Miss Leeyeey, I knew you were one clever young lady, Masha'Allah, so proud of you ;) I'm thinking If only my brothers weren't all taken, you'd sure get a flying arji coming your way :D