Sign in to follow this  
cynical lady

Can I get a white puppy for Eid?

Malika   

Ibti,is on something here.

For one the 6yr old has already adapted to her Islamic enviroment,[she knows she celebrates Eid rather then Christmas],the new 'information' about why a dog isnt the right pet for an Islamic home will only extend her existing knowledge..

CL,just go along the lines of 'We pray,and is required to keep ourselves and our houses clean,..and dog's saliva contains germs[linking to her already knowledge of germs] and is therefore dirty...She will understand,children are very adaptable.

Castro   

I've been saying no to a dog for years now. I have just the trick for anyone facing this issue. Tell your kids its all about the responsibility of feeding, cleaning and looking after the pet. So to practice, start with a goldfish which has a life span of about 1 month (ours died in 3 weeks :D ) then put the child on a guilt trip whenever they mention getting dog for a pet.

"Aabo, remember that goldfish you killed and how it floated belly up? Do you want the same thing to happen to a dog? I didn't think so. Here's a lollipop and go play with your sister." :D

Works like a charm.

Ibtisam   

Looool @ Castro, that is an easy rout out. Until she finds out you are lying from school or TV. Thereby thinks lying is allowed. Then you will wonder why your child tells you lies all the time Or when she finds out she will hate you icon_razz.gif:D

Malika I so agree with you- but you have a pretty way of saying things :D

Malika   

^ :D:D ..We had hamsters[used to buy them on reduced price-life span was very short]..after going through 4,the child gave up on pets. :D

Aaliyyah   

"Aabo, remember that goldfish you killed and how it floated belly up? Do you want the same thing to happen to a dog? I didn't think so. Here's a lollipop and go play with your sister."

You should not lie to kids. Just be straight forward.

Castro   

^^^^^ I only lie to adults, atheer. Kids I straight up manipulate. :D

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

Looool @ Castro, that is an easy rout out. Until she finds out you are lying from school or TV. Thereby thinks lying is allowed. Then you will wonder why your child tells you lies all the time Or when she finds out she will hate you
icon_razz.gif:D

I didn't lie about anything. I just used the guilt mechanism of raising children which was used on me. I'm passing it on, atheer. :D

Malika I so agree with you- but you have a pretty way of saying things
:D

Of course she does. Do you Salsa? ;)

Castro   

^^^^^ I'm a great dad however terrible atheer I may be. :( Would you like a white puppy for a pet?

Ibti, who's aliyah? And I'm taking my first Salsa class soon. If all goes well, I should be in the hospital that same afternoon.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Malika:

Ibti,is on something here.

For one the 6yr old has already adapted to her Islamic enviroment,[she knows she celebrates Eid rather then Christmas],the new 'information' about why a dog isnt the right pet for an Islamic home will only extend her existing knowledge..

CL,just go along the lines of 'We pray,and is required to keep ourselves and our houses clean,..and dog's saliva contains germs[linking to her already knowledge of germs] and is therefore dirty...She will understand,children are very adaptable.

That's not what Ibti said. That's what EVERYONE else has been saying.

As for Children learning nonsense from elsewhere, isn't that what I am there for. I remember my six year old telling me that if she let her brother touch her hair she will go to hell fire. :D

(Some cow from the malcamad told her that).

I had to tell her that she's free from hell fire for the next five years and that she is free to do what she likes for now. Anything naughty and she'll be in MY hell fire. :D

Originally posted by Castro:

I'm a great dad however terrible atheer I may be.
:(
Would you like a white puppy for a pet?

An iphone will make up for a lot of negligence. ;)

Aaliyyah   

Serenity lol throw one my way tooo..wouldn't mind at all.

Castro theres a thin line btw telling a lie and manipulating someone. But, hey do what you think is right....!!