Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Wasps that catch Spiders

Chimera   

Spider Wasp

Wasp_talakaveri.jpg

Spider wasps are long-legged, solitary wasps that use a single spider as a host for feeding their larvae. They paralyze the spider with a venomous stinger. Once paralyzed, the spider is dragged to where a nest will be built – some wasps having already made a nest.

A single egg is laid on the abdomen of the spider, and the nest – or burrow – is closed.

The size of the host can influence whether the wasp will lay an egg that will develop as a male, or an egg that will develop into a female – larger prey yielding the (larger) females.[3] A complex set of adult behavior can then occur, such as spreading dirt or inspecting the area, leaving the nest site inconspicuous. When the wasp larva hatches it begins to feed on the still-living spider. After consuming the edible parts of the spider, the larva spins a silk cocoon and pupates – usually emerging as an adult the next summer. Some ceropalines lay the egg on a still-active spider, where it feeds externally on hemolymph. In time, that spider will die, and the mature wasp larva will then pupate.

http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Spider_wasp

new-picture-20.png

2252256136_0ff6981468.jpg

Cara.   

Oooh, someone to share

with. The wasp injects its eggs into the caterpillar. When the larva hatch out of the (still-living) caterpillar, they somehow still control it so that it protects their cocoon!

Chimera   

I'm a guy that's not fond of spiders especially those big dark ones that creep up on you while you are reading a book, so i found this funny..a wasp turning the BIG SHOTS(tarantulas etc) of the Spiderworld into babymammas lol

The Spiderwasp paralyzes the spider/caterpillar which is why they can't do a thing when the baby wasp comes out. Imagine getting stung by one, oh the horror and pain.

Cara.   

LOL, I don't mind spiders. I find one in the bathtub nearly every morning. Taking it outside is a routine now (I suspect it's the same one that finds its way back in).

Wasps, on the other hand, are pure unadulterated evil. Watch videos of them attacking bumblebees, it's tragic on an epic scale:(

STOIC   

This bring back memories back in my undergrad years I used to work in an entomology laboratory where we used to identify all kind of spiders for reserach purpose especially the brown recluse spider, (Doctors were Incorrectly diagnosing MRSA (methicillin-resista nt Staphylococcus aureus for you NERDS) as a spider bite)-the six eyed one with three pairs.The research was published in journal of medical entomology after I left (missed an opportunity of my name being on a journal).

Chimera   

Cara i'm not referring to those babyspiders, i'm talking about those vicious disambigous large ones, where you don't know what the hell they are. Not so long ago i saw a spider in Belgium with different colors and it was hairy, if i wasn't a man i would have screamed like a little girl ..aaaaaaahhhh! but alas society forbids that and i was forced to take a dacas and look for the demon from hell for the next 2 hrs.

I'm telling you guys this cowardous incident because i know none of you in real life hence my macho persona is not threatened.

Chimera   

Originally posted by The_Siren:

Facinating.

Ps I truly wasn't being sarcastic for those of you who are a little paranoid. Adam that means you.

I'm not paranoid, why should i be paranoid? is there a reason for me to be paranoid? did people tell i was a paranoid person? who are they?