Sign in to follow this  
AminaTammy

Somali Culture

Assalamu Alaikum my brothers and sisters,

I think it is important for my children (who are half Somali and half Canadian) to learn about their Somali Heritage. So far they eat mostly Somali food, but really nothing else. My oldest can understand Somali but can't speak it. English is the main language in the home. My question to you is:

What other ways can I teach them about their culture?

Amina

Tammy's Somali Home

Well, this responsibility of teaching their tradition and culture (hido iyo dhaqan) would have primarily fallen to their father.

Having said that, take them to Soomaali gatherings, especially the Soomaali festivities and picnics, particularly the Kowda Luulyo (July 1st) celebrations. Let them wear traditional Soomaali clothes, which I assume you already are familiar. I don't know if there are any in Edmonton, though. I mean the picnics and festivities.

Also teach them about the rich, deep history of Soomaalis and Soomaaliya. If you don't know that, information is at your fingertips on the net and try educating yourself, and then teach them what you've learned. Also try reading to them, the youngest ones especially, about traditional Soomaali stories, including Cigaal Shidaad. There are several books of Cigaal Shidaad in English. If you can't find any in English, let their father read to them in Soomaali language and explain to them what each story means and its background.

Blessed   

Other Somalis are a great resource, get your Somali friends to talk to your children about Somalia, Somali culture.. etc.

A trip back home would be great, if you can do it. Nothing beats 'dhaqan celis', cultural immersion. smile.gif