Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Family planning for Kenya's goats

When you're a herdsman in Kenya experiencing a particularly nasty drought desperate times call for, well, a fairly practical and simple measure: birth control, or as some are naming it, the goat condom.

The "condom" is actually a square piece of rawhide or plastic called an "olor" that is tied around the male goats belly and "blocks" them from mating with the female goats.

Herdsmen in the Maasai community -- where livestock is often the only means of income -- live in a region outside Nairobi that usually has erratic and unreliable rainfall that increasingly threatens their livelihood. The fear is that if the goats breed before the rainy season comes, the females will not be healthy enough to nurture their kids and there will be more goats than there are resources necessary to sustain the herd.

The olor may not be a modern measure, but it's certainly effective. Separating the males from the females is not an easy alternative and is, in fact, far more expensive since another herdsman is needed. Once the rains come and the land is rich and green, the olors will be removed and the goats will be free to live free and procreate.

All in all, it sounds quite sensible. Thank goodness the global gag rule doesn't apply to livestock.

By Rebecca Frankel

Ibtisam   

Why is this news? I remember when I was aadi raac we use to tie cloth around the "one" (that is the male sheep yeah) when it was not mating season.

I thought they invented pills, so the sheep/goat could have fun with no babies icon_razz.gif I was going to send a load to my family!

roobleh   

Tie him? Ibti, I never thought you were such a sexist. Anyway, that's a horrible and cruel act to say the least.

I suggest inay dacar kamariyaan ridda xaggadanbe!

Abdiyo, were u been hiding?

Paragon   

Don't you know it's impertinent to anthromorphosize these innocent beats of diary? :D

Let's leave the planning to the people and the useful stuff to the animals smile.gif .

Ibtisam   

Cabdiyo WHy?? I'm serious!

Rooble, How I'm sexist, oneka waa laa xiida or waa laa tuumah (They clamp his testicles with qalbat) Oooouuuuuuuuuuuch

Buuxo   

What the hell is qalbat? Naa Ibti goormaad noqotey expert on orgi qalbadeeyn.

Ps; These skills are highly sought and could be transferable ;) so do share.

Ibtisam   

^^I grew up in the miyi before making my way to London. I am not baardo ciiyaal born in London you know. I've trekked half of former Somalia with my nomad families as a geel jiraad :D

P.s. It is strange you never forget certain things, regardless of how long ago.

P.s.s. What is on your mind??

Paragon, I remembered their cries redface.gif:(

Buuxo   

^I need proof.Show us a pic of your miyi days / a pic to show scars :D

PS: you didn't answer my question.

Paragon   

^I felt an empathetic fraternal pain for them. Cruel thing to do another animal.

Horta who does the actual qalbat thing on the poor things? Women, I must guess. A man would never do that knowing....

Ibtisam   

Cabdiyo, sorry a Qalbat is a heavy metal clip like thing. They place the testicles in-between the metal claws and then crush it with force using the handles. I will try and find a picture later.

Proof say you, It is above me to advertise myself with pictures.

Cirdey, men do it, because the damn one/ orgi moves too fast for men and when in pain need two men to restrain it.

Buuxo   

Ouch!Ibti, aight .I believe you,i think. Pretty cool women. That's living. I will,one day become wiser about miyi ways,inshallah.

Haye cirdey, wixii xunba xaawa waxeeyso aa leedahey. :mad: