Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

What happened to the Dream---the American Dream?

maaweel.jpg

32-year-old documentary filmmaker, Mahdy Maaweel, says he was inspired by injustice. His documentary What happened to the dream based on the November 2001 federal raid at the Maka Mini Mart and Barakat Wire Transfer in Seattle's Rainier Valley has earned him awards and appearances all over the Unites States. In this documentary Mahdy introduces us to the Somali-American experiences post the September 11 th. by using his award-winning"Somalisan Television" to speak for many others.

mahdi.jpg

Mahdy is not only a filmmaker but also produces theonly live weekly bilingual Somali American Television in America, called Somalisan Television out in Seattle, Washington .And it is the award wining best of the Northwest 2002 and 2003 for making a difference category .

Mahdy has established himself as one of the Somali-Americans most important and influential filmmakers in the past few years. He has now completed his second film What happened to the dream released last weekend in Columbus, Ohio State University in 2004. The response from the audience was so incredible and very crowded, that the OSU professor had to invite Mahdy to come back in January 2005 to the OSU in order to share his documentary the rest of the students.

This is a remarkable story and it must to be seen both the Somali Americans as well as Americans at large. The reason simply is that it is inspirational, informative, entertainment, activism and educational. Mahdy is forcing you to think and do something about not only the Somali American issues, but rather any giving issues that concerns an injustices. What is interesting about this film entirely it is done in English.

Mahdy’s agenda is to make entertainment that he hopes will prompt Americans to do their civic duty.

Mahdy packs as much as he can into this documentary—jumping from one point to another, from sarcastic parody to poignant tragedy. But What happened to the dream is more direct, it provides a definitive solution to the story that it presents.

Many have speculated What happened to the dream may turn out to be historically significant, as it may be the first film ever to affect the Somali American community the way they see their new land called America.

Mahdy has repeatedly said that this is the goal of his film—and he goes about it in a none-too-subtle fashion.

On his intentions: “When I make a movie, it's a movie I'd like to see on a Friday night. I wanted to say something about post-9/11 in America for past 3 years: What's happened to us as a people in general. This time is for the Muslims and you don’t know that tomorrow it could be you. And I hope it will influence people leaving the theatre, encourage them to be good citizens.

In addition to his achievements in feature films, Mahdy has produced and directed numerous music videos for such diverse artists.

Mahdy’s What happened to the dream tour will be coming to your cities this coming holidays. This weekend it will be shown Minneapolis, Minnesota. Portland, Oregon, Nashville, TN, Santiago, CA, and Atlanta,

If you’re like me, and you follow the news closely, most of What happened to the dream won’t provide many Earth-shattering revelations. There were a few moments, however, that were enlightening.

By: Micheal Wiseman,

Freelance Journalist

Columbus, Ohio

------------

Have any Nomads seen the documentary? Sounds very interesting. And does anyone know what happened after the raids on the charity centers?

Mahdy’s What happened to the dream tour will be coming to your cities this coming holidays. This weekend it will be shown Minneapolis, Minnesota. Portland, Oregon, Nashville, TN, Santiago, CA, and Atlanta,

i would love to watch his movie.. but where are they going to play that movie?

^^Im sorry. I wouldnt know. I live in Canada...maybe those people living in the mentioned areas could tell us (Esp. those in Seatle)?

And will it be shown in Canada?

Sheekadii gaalada maa hadana soomaali loo badalay! Cajiib. Qofka Muslimka ah maaha inuu soo jeedka ku riyoodo, waa inuu wax qabsado, dadaalo, horumar sameeyo, laakiin maaha in la isku madadaaliyo sheeko raqiis ah oo la leeyahay, "I have a dream, I have Riyo".

Brother Malcolm once said about the dream of Martin Luther King, that a dreaming man doesn't know anything about the reality we dealing with in our struggle. He was right indeed.

Weyne24   

>>>>American Dream<<<<

The American dream is a constantly fluctuating set of ideals, reflecting the ideas of an era. With America being seen as the land of the promise, the American dream is commonly associated with the freedom and opportunity of gaining wealth, fame, power, glory, and happiness. On the surface, this dream seems almost ENCHANTED,offering people the unprecedented prospect of achieving success regardless of one’s race, religion, or family history. The American Dream is exactly what it appears to be the opportunity of perfect LYING just around the corner. But the very nature of this fantasy prevents the enjoyment of the success one has earned, as the temptation is always urging one to work a little harder and gain a little more. The American Dream destroys any opportunity of COMPLACENCY and does not show its own UNFEASIBILITY. The American dream is interwoven and deeply embedded in every fabric of American life.

>>>The American Dream: Is it worth it?<<<

The American Dream: Is it worth it? “You can do anything you want to do, if you set your mind to it.†This phrase gives children a false comfort and reassurance that they can be whatever they want to be. Little boys grow up dreaming of professional Basketball and little girls may dream of being supermodels, but these dreams will most likely never come true due to their given situations. America is a free country, where “all men are created equalâ€, people do not have equality. Some are stereotyped according to race, sexual preference, religion, sex, or even weight. Even in the words of the Declaration of Independence, it is men who are created equally, not women. Little girls, who dream of being president, have to face the fact that their country has never had a female leader. In reality, this country has not fully realized its potential for equality. The government does not fully represent the people of which it governs. Why does this happen in the land of the free, this place we call home, this America? The “American dream†is a large part of the problem. It governs the way the society operates and how Americans view each other.

>>>The American Dream is seriously flawed<<<

The American Dream is seriously flawed. The presentation of the ideal of the American Dream is a mixture of contrast and confusion. There are two sides to the Dream; one is the idealised version, which indicates that the Dream is about belief in immeasurable possibility, that there are no limits to what can be achieved. This allows people to be free from whatever limits life imposes on them. Another side is the materialistic element, which states that the American Dream is solely based on getting rich, the ‘rags to riches’ ideal.

-This material is NOT Weyne's Work!

-Did some Googling on American Dream!

I'm glad femm'fatale has posted this,Mahdy is amazing cool and yet very artistic with his work.

I had the chance to meet him back in 2003 spring,

in his inside studio in seatle where me and 3friends were doing the 1 nation tour going to schools talking with young somalis about the importance of our culture and religions and many other topics i can't recollect at this moment.

Mahdy is very inspirational,i once again met him here in minneapolis @ Safari Restuarant.Where we exchanged ideas and so on.Anywho i better stop the tatlin, If many of you haven't had the chance to catch it here in minneapolis his showing it here in mpls again it will be at the riverview theatre if you don't know how about getting there there is always mapquest to the rescue or simply just pm me.Make sure you all see it...

Tuujiye   

FF...Alle U baahne hala yaabin, Baadiye asoo joogo aa halmar magaalo la keenay.....sxb kee wili waxaa hesato magaalo joog xumo iyo waayp arag daranimo..Waraa U baahne pointiga meesha yaalo dhan aa kuu gooye sxb..tittleka bas aa aqrisay aan u maleynaa..cudur waxaa qabtaa la dhaho, AMERICA..lol...

wareer badanaa!!!

Wiilo   

I heard this documentary was playing last week for $10 dollars somewhere in MN, but is going to play in Humphary Center at U for FREE this coming Saturday I hear...........

Go figure:......

what about Uk?

lool @ tuujiye, ishaad ka riday

Alle ubaahane....quf yahow bustii Soomaaliya aa weli kaa muuqata....welcome to Europe, Sangub oo kale hana qonin...badaada dhinac ka dabaalo laakiin xadka ha goynin