Sign in to follow this  
Xalimopatra

Lets say....

STOIC   

AS my life is as a result of evolutionary change through which microscopic bits of matters have been organized and reorganized I always loved to be a news broadcaster.I used to make my family listen to me reading the news instead of them listening to Chris Pickerton of Focus of Africa.This dream of mine was always hidden in my subconscious mind.Only did I noticed it last week when I was sitting infront of a graduate school interviewer when he asked "If I give you a million dollars what career would you have picked other than the one you are interviewing for?" Without thinking I spurted a broadcaster! even though it was Far from what I was there for this clealry indicated some dreams are forever.

When you examine people and you ask them what they want in life majority will not be able to tell you.Some want security while others want happiness.My childhood dream will not bring me much of a financial security since only few people make it through.Now Have a Career counselling day, Woun't you? :D

Malika   

Xalimopatra, I would say go for it while you can,once you get family responsibilities your main focus wont be about job fulfillment but mostly making sure your family has food on the table,shelter and so forth...

I wanted to be a diplomat,growing up near embassies,going to school with the diplomats kids kind of made it look so glamourous...Oh well,it never happened.After trying couple of things I realised I like kids and enjoy being around them,so teaching was what I opted for....

Khayr   

Originally posted by Northerner:

Alxamdullilah I'm fine where I am and tend to enjoy work (at least my current project). Also trying to get something going on the side (same discipline). A part-time football coaching role is on the agenda aswell (if I can finally make that phone call). Charity work is also something I would enjoy doing full time.

Intel, the great outdoors indeed (typical Aussie
:D
)

Saxib,

Exactly what line of work are you in, that allows you to report to duty on SOL several times a day and go on vacation - every month!

Saxib, raaxa kujiirta!

Bob, do the next best thing and be a coach.

N.O.R.F   

^^Did I write all that? :confused:

When Eid, Xmas, New Years day and a few weekends fall around the same time saxib then you can offord to take 4 days from your holiday but be away from work for two weeks! :D

Thierry ,walaal I never said I was going to quit the Law route.I'm doing both and Insha'Allah will fulfill all my expectations :D

Awlugeeye God I wanted to be a journalist/newsreader when I was young'un.That idea was shortlived tho smile.gif

Dahia Thanks sis, I really want to be a millionaire by the time I'm 25 Insha'Allah.If I make a million from my ventures then I'll be a very happy 'young' woman and wll be able to cook plenty of meals for the fam Lol

Juxa   

Xalima, abaayo go for it!

A career in law is not that boring, and it is constantly changing, so you are bound to find something that catches your eye.

Be prepared for long hours though. guriga aadaa is frowned upon.

About your designs Could i model the diracs for you

Ismahaan   

Originally posted by Xalimopatra:

Ismahaan what are you doing now if you dont mind me asking?

No problem darling , I am studying smile.gif

Probably I am among those who think that science has great beauty. :D

J.Lee   

Forget what I wanted to be as a child. I am having that problem now.

I wanted to be a doctor when I was younger so when I went to college I decided to major in Genetics. Loved my classes but for the life of me I couldn't imagine being a doctor.

Then I decided to pursue a psych degree but I had taken too many science classes. Also, I didn't think it was challenging enough so by chance...I came across Genetic Counseling. It's a perfect mix of Psych and Genetics. On the plus side, I will have two degrees when I’m done.

I also want to be a writer, a professor, a rhetorician, a free-spirit. You get the picture I have so many minors right now; every time I take a new course I fall in love with it.

Originally posted by Xalimopatra:

Val, hey sis.Career change eh?What sector are you working in at the moment?Yes I was at both of his events at SOAS.How do you know what I look like?and if you do know what I look like why didnt you kick me say hello?

I was at the Somali language event and this really, really tall girl in yellow head-gear barged past me and for some reason I thought that was you. I was going to say hello at the end of the talk and see if I was right, but the Q&A session happened and I left early. Is it me or are the Q&A sessions really annoying? The conduct of the audience was kinda appalling.

PS-I'm working in the public sector, in regeneration. But I'm thinking of retraining in a more high-skilled field.

Val I was wearing a yellow hat.Barged past you?I dont remember barging past anyone but I sat on the second row from the top and the only time I had to squeeze past anyone was when a troupe of Somali ladies decided to park themselves on the nearest seats to the end of the row ,blocking the middle seats.Were you seated there?

The question and answer part was v.predictable,full of old men and their BS.I'm friends with Ahmed....the guy who was sitting with the panel, Masha'Allah he was alot more patient then I could've ever been trying to keep the peace and all that.

Good luck with your career plans, Insha'Allah Khayr.

Baluug   

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a pilot or a firefighter. I'm already in a job that's much different from those two, I'm a lowly factory worker.

Aaliyyah   

^^^^ lol no wonder you are so into knowing other fellow somalis. now i know what u guys have in common smile.gif

My dream job was to sing, and I would have became a singer if there were no restrictions/religion in life.

bt too bad now, am not allowed to sing. so now i have to put up with a degree on psych :(

Mowgli   

I've always loved science and knew that it was what I wanted to be since I was 3. Alhamdullilah even now, science never fails to amaze me and I am constantly going ooh and wow

If I could have been anything else...I would've become a pilot, tried to pursue it, but sadly, if you're an asthmatic you get the straight up no.