Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Sucaad Xaaji Max'uud

Nairobi mystery deepens

Aid workers hit wall of silence around woman's baffling detention in Kenya

A human-rights organization wishing to help free a Toronto woman in Africa stepped into her Kafkaesque nightmare yesterday.

A case worker for German-founded Ecoterra International, in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi, spent five hours phoning the Canadian High Commission, and nobody called him back.

"We might be able to shed some light and help the lady," a more senior Ecoterra officer, Aina Seering, had written the Star optimistically the day before.

"(We have) established links with the Kenyan authorities as well as the Canadian High Commission over many years."

But so far the assigned worker has merely glimpsed the surreal world of unstated charges, confiscated passports and faceless bureaucracy that has become all too familiar to the woman insisting she is Suaad Hagi Mohamud of Toronto.

"(The worker) was complaining to me, `They don't want to answer,'" the woman said by cellphone from a Nairobi hotel. "Me too – I'm still waiting and nobody calls me."

One week has passed since the Canadian High Commission – at the woman's insistence – took fingerprints to settle her identity after her passport was questioned by Kenyan police. Since then, nothing. No results, no explanation of the delay, no returned calls.

In Toronto, dozens of people vouch for her. She works the overnight shift as a mid-level supervisor at ATS courier in Etobicoke. Colleagues speak of her affectionately, keep in touch by phone and sometimes send money – $1,100 in the case of one colleague who asked not to be named.

Twelve-year-old son Mohamed Asbscir speaks to her every few days, as does neighbour and babysitter Shukri Abdi. There is no mistaking the woman, say her many friends, some who have known her from childhood in Somalia.

"We went to the same school," neighbour Fartun Mohamed said this week. "I was friends with her older sisters, Luul and Markaba. I know all the family."

Mohamud, 31, left Toronto on April 29 to visit her mother. She was ready to return May 17 when she says a Kenyan officer stopped her for not looking like her four-year-old passport photo.

"Kenya's police force is known to be the most corrupt of Kenya's public institutions," a Human Rights Watch report in February.

When dealing with Kenyan police, Transparency International reported in 2008, the chance of being asked for a bribe is 93 per cent.

Mohamud did not offer a bribe. She spent eight days in jail and was released on bail with no travel papers. Kenyan officials sent her passport to Canadian consular officials, who labelled her an "imposter," voided the passport and sent it back to the Kenyans for prosecution. She faces court next week.

Why Canada does not repatriate the woman and charge her with a passport offence remains unknown.

"The first order of business is to get verification of those (finger)prints," federal Liberal critic Dan McTeague said yesterday.

The process should take "a lot quicker" than a week.

In Nairobi, the woman maintains her poise.

"I'm lonely," she said yesterday. "I'm scared," she had said the day before. But she answers her phone, keeps appointments and always ends a call with this wish: "Have a great day."

A week of phone calls to government offices yielded one enigmatic riddle from Patrizia Giolti of the Canada Border Services Agency.

"The information you have received is not consistent with that provided by the person we have interviewed," she wrote by email.

Asked over voice mail yesterday if the agency still holds that position, Giolti did not reply.

Poor sister, she suffered more than loo dulqaadan karo maskiintaan.

u know how xalimoos are! when they see a cute xalimoo, they just get julus!!

I was reading the other day that her case was resolved and Canada accepted to let her in.

Sheekadaan wey kasii dareysaa. Maskiinta dhab ayaaba loogu dhigooyaa inay meeshaas ku raagto. Wey ku ciyaaroyaan maskiinta.

Ottawa urged to rescue Nairobi detainee

Mother, 31, stranded in Kenya since May 17 after being told she didn't look like passport photo

A Toronto lawyer is going to court tomorrow to prove Suaad Hagi Mohamud is Suaad Hagi Mohamud.

Raoul Boulakia filed an application in federal court yesterday seeking immediate government help to get his client home from Nairobi.

"We're asking she be repatriated and the government provide her with travel documents and pay for her travel," said Boulakia. He also filed six signed statements from Mohamud's family members and friends vouching for her identity.

One of the key issues has been fingerprints. When Mohamud was detained, she insisted her fingerprints be taken so they could be matched with those taken when she applied for Canadian citizenship.

But yesterday, a spokesperson for the Canadian Border Services Agency said they don't even have her earlier fingerprints.

The spokesperson, who cited privacy laws in declining to comment on Mohamud's case, said fingerprints are only requested on citizenship applications if there is some question of criminality. "Fingerprints are then destroyed once a citizenship application is closed," Patrizia Giolti said in an email to the Star.

"Then why is the high commission (in Nairobi) pretending they are waiting for fingerprints?" said Boulakia last night. "Why are they wasting our time?"

Mohamud left Toronto on April 29 to visit her mother. She says she was trying to return here May 17 when a Kenyan officer stopped her at the Nairobi airport and said she didn't look like her four-year-old passport photo.

Her other pieces of Canadian photo ID were also rejected.

She spent eight days in jail and was released on bail with no travel papers. Kenyan officials sent her passport to Canadian consular officials, who said she was an "imposter," voided the passport and sent it back to the Kenyans for prosecution.

The Somali-born Mohamud will be in a Nairobi court on Friday where she could face a jail sentence or even deportation to her lawless native land.

"I have only a few days left – they (her family and lawyer) have to come up with something or I'm doomed," the 31-year-old mother said by phone from Nairobi.

At that time, she didn't know the Canadian Border Services Agency had revealed that her earlier fingerprints were no longer available.

If there were no earlier prints to compare with, then why did authorities bother to take new ones? The Canadian Border Services Agency did not answer that question yesterday.

But one possible reason might be to try to match them with another set in the database, as a check for a criminal record.

Boulakia is hoping to get some answers in federal court tomorrow.

"This can't go forever," said the Toronto lawyer. "Imagine being overseas and having no way to prove your Canadian citizenship. It's a nightmare."

He wants to know why government agencies haven't checked Mohamud's identity claims with her 12-year-old son, other family members and friends.

Meanwhile, Liberal MP Dan McTeague came down heavily on the Conservative government saying Mohamud's case "devalues" Canadian citizenship.

"She's done her due diligence. I'd like to know what the holdup is," said the MP.

"I know the machinery of government can move a lot quicker if it has to," said McTeague (Pickering-Scarborou gh East).

"It requires intervention at the top end. Where is the foreign minister?"

Instead, federal officials are leaving Mohamud in diplomatic limbo, unwilling to get to the bottom of the potential confusion around her identity, he charged yesterday.

Yesterday, there was confusion in the government ranks over what department was handling the issue.

Staff for Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon referred questions to Public Safety Minister Peter Van Loan.

A spokeswoman for Cannon said she had "nothing to add" even though the department had said little previously.

By the end of the day, Van Loan's staff was referring queries back to Cannon's office.

The paper ran another editorial too today.

Ottawa's rabbit hole

The clock is ticking for Toronto traveller Suaad Hagi Mohamud, and not in a good way. Stranded in Kenya because Canadian authorities have declared her an imposter and voided her passport, she must face charges in a Kenyan court on Friday.

Like Alice in Wonderland, Mohamud has disappeared down a rabbit hole of shifting reality since being arrested by Kenyan police at the Nairobi airport two months ago because an official claimed she didn't resemble her passport photo. The Somali-born woman was returning to Toronto from a visit with her ailing mother. Canadian consular officials were quick to insist, on undisclosed evidence, that she was a fake.

After weeks of stalling, Canadian officials in Nairobi agreed to take Mohamud's fingerprints for definitive identification, but only after her case surfaced in the media. That was almost two weeks ago. Since then the government has not revealed the results or the reason for the delay, although there are hints that the earlier prints Mohamud had taken as a refugee may now have been deleted from Ottawa's files.

Mohamud, a Toronto resident with a 12-year-old son, now faces charges of identity fraud, in a country Amnesty International says is in need of "fundamental judicial, police and security sector reform." A fingerprint match could be the crucial evidence needed to acquit her.

Without Ottawa's help, Mohamud will likely be convicted and sentenced to time in one of Kenya's brutal jails for a crime of which she may be entirely innocent. Or she may be deported to Somalia, a failed state that is in the midst of a bloody civil war.

Meanwhile, a Toronto lawyer has filed a motion in court to demand that Ottawa hand over any evidence it has on Mohamud's identity.

To date, both Public Safety Minister Peter Van Loan and Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon have remained silent on this matter, which has only served to increase speculation that they are trying to cover up for an embarrassing mistake. To clear the air, they should end their silence forthwith.

Woman's lips trapped her in Kenya

ef02d40243648dadc64a03db15ed.jpeg

Her nightmare began when airport officer thought mouth didn't match passport photo

Suaad Hagi Mohamud was done in by her lips.

A Kenyan official detained the Toronto woman in Nairobi because her lips didn't match the ones in her passport photograph, according to documents released by her lawyer yesterday.

"I find it really troubling that was the basis of stopping her," said Raoul Boulakia, Mohamud's Toronto lawyer.

Documents submitted in a Nairobi court curtly explain why she was detained: "After a comparison was done, it emerged that although the passenger and the passport holder had the same facial features, that passenger's lips were different from that of the passport holder."

Mohamud has been marooned in Nairobi since May 17. The 31-year-old mother was on her way back to Toronto when she says a Kenyan officer stopped her at the Nairobi airport for not looking like her four-year-old passport photo.

She spent eight days in jail and was released on bail with no travel papers. Kenyan officials sent her passport to Canadian consular officials, who said she was an "imposter," voided the passport and sent it back to the Kenyans for prosecution.

She asked to be fingerprinted but the Canada Border Services Agency later admitted it didn't have earlier prints to make a match.

But the Somali-born woman scored a small victory yesterday when the Canadian government agreed to DNA testing.

The government will also ask Kenya to postpone criminal proceedings against her till DNA testing is completed.

Mohamud is due in a Nairobi court tomorrow. She could be sent back to jail or even deported to her lawless native land.

"The government is asking them to delay (proceedings) for 10 to 12 weeks," said Boulakia. "But I don't know if the Kenyans will do that."

DNA testing will be done on Mohamud, her son and husband, both of whom are in Toronto. Boulakia said her DNA sample will be taken within three days and shipped to Canada immediately.

The entire process will cost $810 – to be paid by the government – and will be completed within 10 days.

"We will know Suaad is really Suaad in less than two weeks," Boulakia said.

He agrees it is a step forward but he is cautious. "I think that we are making some progress and once we have scientific proof of identity, I can't imagine what would be left for the government to say."

Yesterday, a spokesperson for Canada Border Services Agency declined comment. "... as this case is currently before the courts, it would be inappropriate for me to comment," Patrizia Giolti wrote in an email to the Star.

In Nairobi, Mohamud said she was "very happy and relieved" with the news of DNA testing. "It's a very good thing. I feel closer to home and I can't wait to hug my son."

I am following this story because I was there, in this same Nayroobi airport some months ago. It could've happened to me or anyone, for that matter.

I also remember that night I was flying on the line up of boarding the plane, we were three Soomaalis, another Soomaali-Canadian, a Soomaali-American sister with a child and I. The official lady checking that line-up automatically took our passports, our citizenship cards and other IDs -- one by one, of course -- handed them to her boss, who scanned it electronically and asked some questions. The sister with American passport ku dhageen, I guess they mistaken her shy demureness and soft talk inay qof bug ku socdo tahay oo Ingiriis garaneynin camal.

We were obviously singled out because of being Soomaalis, who lined up in the "Western" citizens line. Anaa u dambeeye oo si joke ahaan u weydiiye the lady, "Will I get ready my citizenship card and other assorted IDs out as well," while smiling. I also added you guys are doing this only because we are Soomaalis with Western passports.

I do, though, understand where they are coming from maadaama Soomaali badan bug iyo been ku socoto. And perhaps some of them might be a somewhat covetous since Soomaali badan ku socdo so many passports from Western countries, whom they worship and would wish to live in those Western countries. Perhaps.

Baluug   

Do people honestly think this kind of thing wouldn't happen if Canada had a Liberal or NDP gov't? It wouldn't be any different.

Tuujiye   

Cadaan your right bro!! Liberal or NDP would even be worse I think. I really don't blame the government for such thing also. Somalideen qurunka aan qufaneyno iyo kuwa aan qufanay ilaahee hanaga cafiyo..

MMA waraa hadaba is ilaali waa u jeedaa sida la iskaga daba laadlaadee.. mugoo dentis iyo waxaas iyo dhiig qaadis ha isku aadin, 20 years aa jirtaa waraa ha iloowin loool

Wareer Badanaa!!!

peasant   

I would not be surprised this sort of thing happening, be it under Conservative or NDP government. It is known fact that Canadian embassies through out the world are short staffed and many occasions interns do the job that embassy officials are supposed to do. My brother who works for the ministry of foreign affairs it self once lost his passport in some east european country and to get a temporary passport he went through bunch of bullshit. I remember him say that it took him days to just meet an official to asses his situation and every time he went to the embassy to get hold of them, he was dealt with by non canadian front desk staffers which pissed him off a lot.

I dont think this case would have escalated to this point if in the first place the embassy official who have dealt with this woman did not lack proper judgement or perhaps did not have an evil intention to screw things up. I mean it does not take a lot to figure out if someone is a true canadian or an impostor and simple verbal test would have done the job right on the spot. If in case further investigation was deemed necessary the government have had plenty of databases to look into and to let things reach to this point was ****** idea.

Cabdow   

This and Bashir Makhtal's case (and many more) is a living proof why the Canadian Government don't give a f*ck about their minority citizens.... Sheeeeeeemo!

The so called Canadian officials in Kenya are bunch of losers all they could have done was to ask her which street was Xamdi located and voila :D

She could be sent back to jail or even deported to
her lawless native land

Doesn't it make you feel worthless, when you hear something like that :( Alla dhulka idinlagoo kuwa sidan noogalayow!

Tuujka, waraa London u socotaa la yiri ee iska jir garoonka diyaaraha Heathrow mid sahlan ma'aha. Your return ticket, the address you are staying at sii diyaarso, hana iswaalin. Hindi kibir badan oo British ismooday kuu fadhiyo at the customs in that airport. They might even call the phone number(s) you provided, though that never happened to me of the three times ka dagay that airport.

Originally posted by Cadaan:

Do people honestly think this kind of thing wouldn't happen if Canada had a Liberal or NDP gov't? It wouldn't be any different.

It could've happen under any government. What is surprising is how the right-wing clique in Ottawa is dragging their feet under this case. This smells their classic style of not helping minorities stranded abroad, in which case, however, wouldn't have happened were an NDP government in power. Just remember the recent case of Abuusufyaan Cabdirisaaq.

Don't forget also Soomaalis are in Ontario because the generous immigrant policies of provincial NDP government of early '90s.

Peasant, that happens numerous times, ku dhacdo too to the so-called 'caddaanka' Canadianka ah, walaalkaa kaligiisa ma'aha. Somehow dadka safaaradahaas fadhiyo 'holiday' u joogaan filaa, markee 'hyphenated' Canadian arkaana that needs help weyba kasii daraan.

Nairobi court grants woman time for DNA test

8a7ab3d34ebb9cbff197c7c11632.jpeg

NAIROBI – A Kenyan court decided Friday to postpone the case of Suaad Hagi Mohamud, the Somali-born woman who was accused of faking her Canadian citizenship because she did not look like her passport photo, so she and her son in Toronto can undergo DNA testing.

Mohamud, who said she speaks to her 12-year-old son almost every day, will submit to DNA testing on Monday in Nairobi in hopes of ending what she says has become a nightmare. She should get the results in 10 days.

Friday's court hearing lasted only a few minutes.

Mohamud, wearing an orange floral patterned head scarf, stood as the judge quickly agreed to put off the next hearing until Oct. 16 so that the Canadian government can study the DNA tests, which it has agreed to pay for.

"I feel in pain, to be honest, I feel really sick," Mohamud told the Star of her ordeal after her hearing was adjourned on Friday. "My country let me down – that's what really makes me mad."

Mohamud, 31, was detained at Nairobi's Jomo Kenyatta International Airport on May 21 after spending nearly a month visiting her mother in Kenya.

Mohamud was told that while most of her features matched those of her passport photograph, her lips and the glasses she wore were not the same.

The Canadian High Commission in Kenya later decided that she was an impostor and cancelled her passport.

High Commission officials have not explained their reasons, saying only in a letter to Kenyan immigration officials that the determination was made after "conclusive investigations including an interview."

Two Canadian consular officials who attended Friday's hearing refused to speak to the Star, give their names or even shake hands.

Mohamud is charged with using another person's passport and being in Kenya illegally. If found guilty, she could be imprisoned or deported back to Somalia, a country that has been embroiled in chaos for more than 15 years.

After her court hearing on Friday, Mohamud's Nairobi-based lawyer, Lucas Naikuni, said he was optimistic that Mohamud would get to go back to Canada.

He said he felt frustrated because while the Canadian government said she was travelling under someone else's passport, it hadn't tried to track down the real Suaad Hagi Mohamud or to identify who his client really was.

"They are saying she's hiding her name," Naikuni told the Star. "So my question is, if she's hiding her name, what's her actual name? I've been with her now for the last two months. It would be very easy for me to detect if she were lying, I interact with her a lot."

According to Naikuni, the Canadian government ought to have kept the fingerprints that Mohamud gave when she applied for Canadian citizenship.

"I would imagine that being a government of a developed country such as this, you just touch the computer and get the information," Naikuni said. "So we are only left to conclude that this case is one of malicious prosecution, it's only intent is to inflict pain and punishment to our client. We do not understand why they would want to do that."

Mohamud, a supervisor with Andlauer Transportation Services, says she has been aching to see her 12-year-old son and hopes that the DNA testing will bring her back to him.

"There are rights and freedoms in my country and they took that away from me," Mohamud said. "I've been here two months from the day that I was supposed to go back to him. I'd do anything to be with my son."

"I have done nothing illegal," she said.

Poker   

She's getting more stylish for one thing. I guess being celebirty would that for you. GO Sucaad. :D