Sign in to follow this  
Kulmiye

Women and their status in Somaliland.

Kulmiye   

The old Somali adage, "A mother's purpose is to be a cook, laundrywoman, nurturer and wife to her husband," describes to some degree the traditional role of the women in Somaliland.

Today Illiteracy is widespread in among women in Somaliland and While women's responsibilities in Somaliland society have drastically increased recently, the change has not been translated to an improvement in their status in society due to lack of education.

Polygamy has also contributed to the increasing number of female breadwinners in Somaliland. Somalis follow Islamic tradition, which allows men to marry up to four wives provided they are able to support them.

However, Somaliland's men are so poor that they can barely afford to support one wife. When a man marries several women, his wives are forced to take up an economic activity to sustain their families. Most men in Somaliland have forsaken their families and gotten hooked on khat.

Somaliland is seriously ugly place to be, and is really not fair to allow the men to have four wifes when they can hardly support one... These men could have made a big difference to the country's living standards with all the money they spend on khat. I can only suggest that women's should educate themselves, and hopefully they will have a power to control the immorals against men.

Ibtisam   

strange thing for a somali person to say "

Polygamy has also contributed to the increasing number of female breadwinners in Somaliland.
Somalis follow Islamic tradition, which allows men to marry up to four wives provided they are able to support them.

Khat is a problem, yes. I don't know how much of a problem, But the problem has existed for a long time.

I can only suggest that women's should educate themselves, and hopefully they will have a power to control the immorals against men

Who and when did you make this suggestion. i don't know many somalilander women reading this who share a khat eating husband with 3others.

What about facilities, how will they educate themselves if they have no one to teach time. i would have thought it is too late for those women already, the task is for them to educate their kids, male and female to take a different route in life.

Lastly; what is your purpose, to mock them about their situation to make yourself feel better, or highlight a problem. If you purpose is the latter, then what other possible solutions do you suggests.

Edit:

Somaliland is seriously ugly place to be, and is really not fair to allow the men to have four wifes when they can hardly support one...

You base your judgement of a country based on men being allowed to marry more than once :rolleyes: how does that support your allegation that Somaliland is seriously ugly place (does not make much sense) did you not like the newly built buildings, or the hotels?? :confused:

Ibtisam   

Originally posted by Khalaf:

quote:

Somaliland is seriously ugly place to be,

:D

why does that statement make you happy?

Est il la première fois que vous avez jamais entendu quelqu'un dire quelque chose de négatif au sujet du Somaliland. :D

hodman   

Originally posted by Kulmiye:

The old Somali adage, "A mother's purpose is to be a cook, laundrywoman, nurturer and wife to her husband," describes to some degree the traditional role of the women in Somaliland.

Today Illiteracy is widespread in among women in Somaliland and While women's responsibilities in Somaliland society have drastically increased recently, the change has not been translated to an improvement in their status in society due to lack of education.

Polygamy has also contributed to the increasing number of female breadwinners in Somaliland. Somalis follow Islamic tradition, which allows men to marry up to four wives provided they are able to support them.

However, Somaliland's men are so poor that they can barely afford to support one wife. When a man marries several women, his wives are forced to take up an economic activity to sustain their families. Most men in Somaliland have forsaken their families and gotten hooked on khat.

Somaliland is seriously ugly place to be, and is really not fair to allow the men to have four wifes when they can hardly support one... These men could have made a big difference to the country's living standards with all the money they spend on khat. I can only suggest that women's should educate themselves, and hopefully they will have a power to control the immorals against men.

:rolleyes: Oh so this is a problem exclusive to Somaliland o' eloquent scholar?

lol at Castro :D A master piece indeed :D

Khalaf   

why does that statement make you happy?

Est il la première fois que vous avez jamais entendu quelqu'un dire quelque chose de négatif au sujet du Somaliland.

Pardon moi mon soeur… je travaille… quels sont vous faisant all day online…get to work. My French is not good….took it in HS..didn’t pay attention…little I knew forgetting it. No it aint the first time…see all the heat Red gets when he posts pics of Somaliland… thought it was funny @ ugly place to live…. :D y’know me I don’t care about Somali politics…Islam is my flag....but on the reel somalia has one flag unity is better enjoy this IB :D

somalia.flag.gif :

And our president: Big Man Yusuf

Somalia_President.jpg

peace out

Ibtisam   

khalaf you are confused honey. You do care about Somali Politics. Every time someone mentions Somaliland you get your knickers in a twist :D

The Sad fact is that there is no unity in Somalia, there probably never will be. Even i know that. Stop living in Lala land.

Maintenant je n'aime pas combattre avec toi, ainsi nous accepterons d'être en désaccord. :D

Originally posted by ibtisam:

Khat.. But the problem has existed for a long time.

That is not accurate depiction of reality or history for that matter. Being older than you are and having lived through the metamorphosis of Somalia's acceptable social mores, allow me to unburden you of your ignorance Awoowe.

Khaat was consumed with responsibility and was seen as benign social pastime indulgence. A carpe diem if you will. Very much aking to the status of liquor in the West. Several generations back, a Western father could send out his son to get him a bottle of liquor from the local liquor store. Today not only does he have to go and buy himself but he has to present plethora of identities to prove he is not a kid in adult body. I'm no social scientist, lack the intellectual wherewithal, therefore can't speculate reasons for the unfathomable shift of perception/attitude. Can only note them.

I rue the current status of Khaat chewers among Somalis, they let us ALL down. Recalling my days as young khaat chewer man, we commanded almost reverential, hero adoration. I remember the Geeraash sessions I partook with scantly dressed, beautifully bejewelled enthralling gabdho lasting till the wee hours of the morning where afterwards I would either gingerly trudge on hoof or ride my faras home. Young boys wanted to be like us, young girls wanted us to show 'em our Grillz.

How fast perceptions change with the passing time. The ways of the Lord are indeed inscrutable.

-Lily-   

This is nothing unique to Sland and Somali ppl in Somalia have the same problem all over the place.

They use khat to forget their situtation.

I don't like this whole Slanders vs The Others/ Non-Slanders/Original Somalis etc. It's a sophisticated form of qabilism since it sets several tribes from one region of Somalia against another set from another region.

Kulmiye I don't know what your purpose is to select men soley from SLand for criticism. They are no different than those in other Somali regions.

facklexm   

Why don’t just say Somali women? I just don’t see any different whether they are from Djibouti, ******, Somaliland or Somalia.