Instinct.Poet

The New Movie Called *The Pirates of Somalia*

just saw the movie called " The Pirates Of Somalia".

I realize it may not play in major theatres. Though, it has academy award winning actors like Al-Pacino

or Academy nominated Like Barkhad Abdi.

I have my reservations as to why it is not being played in any of the theatres

and had to travel about 45mins outside the cities.

I have seen my fair share of pirate movies done in Somalia, Some exaggerated Hollywood style

where the American always wins, Some focus on the dialogue more than the action and gun-toting and the suspense.

However, this particular one told the story of a Journalist wannabe who spends 5 months in Garowe and Puntland after listening to the advice

of his friend to go somewhere dangerous and live to tell about it. He later learns that the truth isn't what the media is after, but to be supplied clips

for the stories they already have.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhgJ2RA426MCPhXOpNYww

Ps. If ever it does matter I have done very small work in this movie as well:-) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ha! Sadly no, But i'll tell you about it once its in DVD.

All bullshit aside, I post it only on SOL and not in any social media for a reason:-) 

Its worth a Waxgarads time

i watched this earlier today. its a little patronising at times. there are few factual mistakes but wouldnt it be nice if it was shot in Eyl, instead of Gibraltar. the entire film was informed by the white saviour narrative, almost as though he's not there for career progression but to save the Puntlanders from their plight. great to see they had a full Somali cast, including jareers. there was even time for a potentially evolving romance between Jay and the semi-vacant Mariam,  the wife of the biggest Mijeerteen pirate. Barkhad Abdi, despite being typecasted put in a worthy performance. all in all, the film was more about them than us. 

its now avaliable on showbox, for those interested. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mooge   
14 hours ago, Instinct.Poet said:

Ha! Sadly no, But i'll tell you about it once its in DVD.

All bullshit aside, I post it only on SOL and not in any social media for a reason:-) 

Its worth a Waxgarads time

cmoon niyoow. give out some more info dee. is barkhad going to be rich after this niyoow? the guy didn't get paid well last time because tom hanks ripped him off.