Sign in to follow this  
Dahireeto

Anyone in the construction business?

Holac   

Omar Degan, I have never seen Somalis working in the construction industry. Are you fuundi or something?

Holac   

Saxib, fuundi is a low-level construction worker who mainly does helping and preparing construction material such as cement, etc. Sorry I wasn't trying to berate. 

galbeedi   

Dahir,

I am not in actual construction business, but I am a contractor that supplies construction sites and i do visit these sites daily.

In this country of Canada the construction industry is 70 billion dollars business  a year. It employs more than a million people. In fact the strength of the economy and the healthy economic activities depend the housing construction both on residential and commercial.

In order  for the construction business to take hold in a meaningful  way and to be successful back home, this industry must be regulated and standardized by the local government and the business community. if there is any industry that distributes wealth and jobs to hundreds of different profession, it is the construction industry. 

First , the cities and regions must regulate the land in their jurisdiction and start with urban planning. They must divide their land in to residential, retail, commercial and industrial lands. 

Second, after people purchase a land for their house or for commercial reasons they must get a permit to build . They can only build on specific area and the city decides what type of building and shape takes place in that part of the town. You can not have a shanty house, bungalow and sky scraper in the same neighborhood.

third, those who are involved in the building and the construction business must be licensed and regulated. Only Engineers, certified electricians and plumbers could only work in these places. Of course you may have unskilled laborers, but The more skilled people involve in the construction, they wage of the workers will increase. 

Beside all these regulations, the most important thing is city codes and regulations that generates most of the jobs and the skills to preform them. Unless there is codes and rules that needs enforcement , everyone will build his own shanty house and building as he wishes which in turn depresses the wages and eliminates the skills needed to do the job. Regulation means what kind of material should be used  for the house and so on.

Finally, in order for the regular people to afford and buy well built homes, a financing mechanism must be established. Citizens would put 25% or more down payment  of the house and builders will collect the rest of the money on monthly payments with no occurring intrastate payments. If you combine the city and urban planning with the business community and the skilled construction association you could have a well regulated healthy industry . 

If most of these and other regulations and business models are implemented, the housing construction industry could create thousands of jobs throughout Somaliland and other places.