Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Kurdish MPs say yes to independence referendum

Hope they succeed, and leave the crazy arabs. Kurdish have legitimate reasons and want genuine referendum

SL should take a note, this is how you do it,, not bogus 97% bogus Referendum

^It does not matter, as long as you do it the proper way, and not try to sell the bogus 97% referendum.

Internationally monitored Referendum, just like Kurds, just like South Sudan, that is provided Mogadishu allows it. :) and you have legitimate reason.

I doubt SL has a legitimate reason.

If there is any region that has legal basis for its existence, it is Somaliland. The only region that has gained full independence and without force, without occupation and but with its own decision voluntarily formed a union with another country.

The Country that was formed in 1960 collapsed totally in 1991. The idea of "Somaliwayn" which was underpinning the "Union" of 1960 is dead.

And after 1991, Somaliland walked away from reconstituting the country that was formed in 1960 by the two Somali regions.

The gov't in Villa Somalia was formed by warlords in MBagathi who agreed to form a Federal structure for Somalia. Somaliland never participated in that conference, it is not signatory to its outcome and whatever came out of it does not bind to it.

Somaliland is not redrawing international borders, and completely meets African Union's charter which calls for retaining colonial borders at the time of independence. hence, Somaliland's borders are known and have been agreed on by international arbitration. The African Union report completed in 2006 re-affirmed the "unique" case that is Somaliland.

Iran, Iraq, Turkey & Syria gang up on tiny Kurdistan region.

Being a land locked country is a real disadvantage.

Please use the sharing tools found via the email icon at the top of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at

“At the request of the Iraqi central government, the Iranian airspaces have been closed on all flights that originate from Kurdistan Region,” Kayvan Kosraw, spokesman for the Iranian Supreme Security Council, was quoted as saying, according to the state-run IRNA news agency.

Tallaabo   

said:

Iran, Iraq, Turkey & Syria gang up on tiny Kurdistan region.

Being a land locked country is a real disadvantage.

The Iraqi Kurds cannot have a successful independent nation without the support of at least one of its main neighbours, especially Iraq, Turkey, Iran, and Syria. The obvious reason being as you mention, their lack of access to the sea and hence their inability to trade with the world without the support of these crucial four countries. I think the Kurds will be better off maintaining the status quo- being loosely associated with Iraq but with full control of their affairs.

galbeedi   

Maakhiri1 We do not like the despots that rule the Arab world but we do not want to prolong the suffering of the people. Creating a Kurdish state means importing and creating a new war that will destabilize turkey Iran and Syria. Sometimes I do not understand what some of these Somalis stand for. Do you want the demise of our dear friend turkey who saved the Somalis from the bring of famine and anarchy. The Middle East does not need the redrawing of the border by Isis or others. Eneogh Don't you guys have any decent of even considering your own interest and world peace. Do not cry for Kurds instead have some empathy for your fellow Somalis. Unless you guys are some of those who left the circle

galbeedi   

A Kurdish state will a hostile and dangerous entity in the Middle East. They have enough autonomy in Iraq and before the alp of turkey took power in 2002 the nationalist Kemalists never even allowed the Kurdish language. They prospered under erdogan and during the referendum which erdogan got only 51% the Kurdish southwest voted overwhelmingly to erdogan. Only recklessly nomad who hate Muslims and want to destabilize the Middle East will applaud for war. I do not want to even unswerving to the Somali land boys who can not see beyond their little project

llat   

said:

A Kurdish state will a hostile and dangerous entity in the Middle East. They have enough autonomy in Iraq and before the alp of turkey took power in 2002 the nationalist Kemalists never even allowed the Kurdish language. They prospered under erdogan and during the referendum which erdogan got only 51% the Kurdish southwest voted overwhelmingly to erdogan. Only recklessly nomad who hate Muslims and want to destabilize the Middle East will applaud for war. I do not want to even unswerving to the Somali land boys who can not see beyond their little project

Are you a Damul Jadidd sxb ?

galbeedi   

Garas saaxiib. You could be a new kid in the block. Did you know how many threads we created last year and early this year to depose damujadiid. I was one of those who exposed their money from Qatar and so on.

galbeedi   

I do not like foreign influence but I would like to stick with those who help us in difficult times. Doing otherwise would be to bite the hand that feeds you