Sign in to follow this  
Holac

The story of the Marmaris hotel Erdogan was staying during the coup

Holac   

Turkish President Erdoğan rejected a proposal by the owner of his hotel to go to a nearby Greek island for his and his family's safety when a group of coup plotters stormed the hotel where Erdoğan was spending a family vacation.

According to a media report, the hotel owner, Serkan Yazıcı, proposed that Erdoğan should flee to a Greek island and remain there until the situation comes under control. But the president became very angry over the proposal saying, “What business do I have being in the Greek Islands?”

“Since I know the surrounding area very well, our president asked me, 'Serkan where can we go via a water way in a short time,' the hotel owner explained the situation.

“You can go to Dalaman, but on the way you have to face Aksaz Military Naval BASE,” he answered Erdoğan

“Impossible” Erdoğan said and asked Serkan whether there were any other places to go.

“I told him that I can transport him to the nearby Greek islands,” the hotel owner said, adding, “After hearing this, the president broke his calmness and burst into anger, “What business do I have being on a Greek island, brother! I asked you for a way to get to Istanbul,'” according to Serkan.

Turkey passed one of the darkest nights in recent history on July 15 when a group of pro-FETÖ soldiers announced a coup and imposed tanks on anti-coup protesters and bombed civilians in Ankara and Istanbul.

After receiving the news, President Erdoğan, who was restricted from travelling under the coup circumstances while staying in the southern Turkish Mediterranean coastal city of Marmaris with family on a short vacation, called on people to come out and take to the streets, airports and main squares against the coup military and their tanks.

“His son-in-law and Energy Minister Berat Albayrak received a phone call one hour after Erdoğan called people out to the streets,” Serkan says.

“Following the telephone conversation, Albayrak turned to Erdoğan and said that people across the country poured onto the streets and squares with Turkish flags in their hands; there was huge resistance against the coup plotters,” he continued to explain.

Meanwhile, the head of Special Guard Muhisn Köse also informed Erdoğan that thousands of people captured tanks from the pro-coup soldiers in the Istanbul Atatürk Airport, according to Serkan.

“After getting these reports, a happy expression appeared on his [Erdoğan's] face for the first time,” since the incident began hours ago, he said.

“Then we received a report that several teams of pro-coup soldiers have been approaching the hotel.

“But no one has an idea about how and from where they would come. I looked outside and saw that police officers embraced each other saying their last goodbyes.

“Köse approached Erdoğan and said, “Sir! We must leave immediately. We cannot stay here more.'”

“Erdoğan, upon taking the first step out of the hotel to go to Istanbul, recited the world 'Bismillah' and asked for everyone's blessings via the Turkish parting phrase,,Hakkınızı Helal Edin”.

The hotel owner also said that Erdoğan stated in a loud voice to someone in a phone conversation that “If they have tanks, we have our faith in Allah. Continue the resistance. We will die, if needed.”

“He told me 'Serkan, you are witnessing a historic moment,'” the hotel owner said.

“The runway was darkened. All of the helicopter's lights were turned off. A decision was made of flying at a low altitude to avoid being caught on military radars. The helicopter carrying President Erdoğan, his wife Emine Erdoğan, daughter Esra Albayrak, son-in-law Berat Albayrak and three grandchildren departed towards Dalaman,” Yazıcı said.

galbeedi   

Some times the decisions you make as a leader will effect the history or the future of the country. If Erdogan was a coward or selfish , he would have escaped to Germany or one of those Greek islands, but decided otherwise. Landing the airport reversed the tide .

Even flying while enemy jets were circulating the air was a tough move.

Mooge   

This is crazy niyoow. to come that close to being paraded on TV as the ultimate price. if they caught Erdogan, it would have been over and the coup would have succeeded.