Sign in to follow this  
Holac

Munira and Idil speak Somali - inaa vote i siisi waaye.

Safferz   

I don't know why they agreed to a Somali language interview. Pre-recorded ads for Somali TV/radio where they could have read from a script and practiced would have been more wise.

Meeshaan afkii hooyo ayaa kawaanka la saaray oo si aan caadi aheyn loogu tuntay.Wariyahaa ka daray oo wuxuu yiri Idileey adna maxaad u carareysaa the fundamental problem with direct translation. This is a stark reminder that I shall make sure insha'Allah my future kids will speak fluently in their native language.

Good for them. Hope they win.

2 Somalis running for City Council in Toronto, not bad at all. Wasn't there also a Somali guy in Ottawa running for a council seat also?

What's his story, any u folks in Ottawa know anything about it?

P.S, I think Maskiin should go camping for these two girls in Toronto. ;)

Holac   

<cite>
said:</cite>

I don't know why they agreed to a Somali language interview. Pre-recorded ads for Somali TV/radio where they could have read from a script and practiced would have been more wise.

Safferz, that would have been the wise decision. Broken Somali is not very popular among the older generation who tend to vote in larger numbers.

Safferz   

<cite>

Safferz, that would have been the wise decision. Broken Somali is not very popular among the older generation who tend to vote in larger numbers.

I find it varies... some older Somalis are pleased when a diaspora youth can even speak a few words, while others mock youngins who are quite competent in the language (despite never living in or even visited Somalia in most cases) while they themselves have lived 20+ years in Canada without learning proper English.

Muniira Afsoomaaligeeda ma xumo, inay si neefsasho ah u hadasho u fiican. Boobsiis ayee ku hadleysaa, iyadoo awalba garam garam ku hadleysay.

Idil inkastoo magac aan jeclahay ay wadato, Afsoomaaligeeda hormarin weyn u baahanyahay.

Fadlan ku dara muuqaalkaan to this thread:

http://www.somaliaonline.com/community/topic/garamgaram-2-0/

Holac   

<cite>

I find it varies... some older Somalis are pleased when a diaspora youth can even speak a few words, while others mock youngins who are quite competent in the language (despite never living in or even visited Somalia in most cases)
while they themselves have lived 20+ years in Canada without learning proper English.

B0YXX9SIAAAPsxI.jpg

Safferz   

Idil and Munira were both destroyed in the election tonight. What's worse, I was streaming live election coverage on my laptop when I saw islaamo, FRONT AND CENTER, hanging out at Doug Ford headquarters. I took a screenshot:

null

Someone even told me Somalis threw a party for the Fords tonight with Somali food and a singer. SMDH.

galbeedi   

Is he promised to build some low income housing, fight drugs and keep the community save?. What is the major reason Somalis are throwing their lot to ford.

HOLAC,

You should've posted the video with a WARNING. That was hazardous to the ears.

Somalis are smart to go with Ford. Everyone knows you vote for the politician who openly tells you "I AM FULL OF SHIT."

Safferz   

<cite>

Is he promised to build some low income housing, fight drugs and keep the community save?. What is the major reason Somalis are throwing their lot to ford.

It's unexplainable and most don't even know enough about the different platforms to articulate a reason for voting for Doug Ford (and Rob Ford, as many Somalis are in Ward 1 where Rob was running for a city council seat). A friend of my dad's was at the Ward 1 polling station and saw lines of Somalis, and when he asked them to vote for Munira they said no -- we're Ford Nation.

<cite>

It's unexplainable and most don't even know enough about the different platforms to articulate a reason for voting for Doug Ford (and Rob Ford, as many Somalis are in Ward 1 where Rob was running for a city council seat). A friend of my dad's was at the Ward 1 polling station and saw lines of Somalis, and when he asked them to vote for Munira they said no -- we're Ford Nation.

Tell me one reason why Somalis should vote for Munira over Rob Ford? What is her experience? What are her policy positions? I mean, she's only 22 years old and people are acting as if she's automatically entitled to the Somali vote by virtue of her being Somali. And then people are expecting Somalis to forsake Rob Ford--a politician they knew and loved for years--over this unproven fresh-faced college student.

Most Somalis were Ford Nation long before Munira ever came along, so don't expect that to change.