Sign in to follow this  
Dhagax-Tuur

260 odd km sits the much loathed AS

I was just wondering Baraawe is 260km from Mogadishu, yet with all the military and financial advantages of Mogadishu gov't, not to mention the 20k strong forces of Somali and foreign soldiers, the Youth are relatively not bothered, giving their sermons in broad daylight, probably are busy organizing their next deadly attack without worry.

So, shouldn't these forces be making these so-called ragtag militants hide in the bushes or are our country and Its people being made into a 'big brother ' programme?

I mean, come on! This must be a joke, wallaahi.

Dalmar1   

Having ashaytaan alive and kicking works to our benefit,I say let them live for just a bit longer (2-3 years), till we .......

Cadale   

it's because Amisom are milking the country. It's in their interest to prolong their mission otherwise the cash cow will end. wax fahma LOL. Only somalis can defeat Al shabaab. These useless Amisom needs to be told to GTFO. I rather be ruled by Al shabaab any day of the week than have those useless adooman in my soil.

Cadale   

these are the men who is supposed to fight Al shabaab. Look at them taking cover behind the journalists. LOOOOOOOOOOOL ina ilaahi waa inna ileyhi raajicuun.

25oyw5x.jpg

Uganda Army clarifies on Salary scam within UPDF in Somalia

1 0 Google +0 0

Army spokesperson Lt. Col. Paddy Ankunda

Saturday, July 26, 2014

KAMPALA - The Uganda army has come out and clarified on a media report on a "scam" regarding payment of salaries of UPDF soldiers serving in Somalia on peace-keeping missions.

The details of the story were published in Saturday Vision of July 26, 2004 titled: "Salary scam hits UPDF in Somalia".

In response, UPDF spokesman, Lt Col Paddy Ankunda, said in a press statement nn Saturday that the report is “unfounded and maliciously designed to taint the good image of the UPDF”.

According the report, several Ugandan soldiers serving on peace-keeping missions in Somalia are crying foul for being sent back home before the end of their mission, and their money swindled.

It reveals that up to 40 soldiers have been affected.

But Ankunda came out to respond to the story’s revelations, by among other things, emphasizing that soldiers serving under AMISOM "are paid allowances and not salaries".

Below is his statement in full

People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) wishes to clarify on the July 26, 2014, Saturday Vision story titled “Salary scam hits UPDF in Somalia.”

The report that alleges connivance of paymasters with contingent administrators to declare healthy soldiers sick, send them back home before end of their mission for purpose of sharing their money, is unfounded and maliciously designed to taint the good image of the UPDF.

Soldiers serving under AMISOM are paid allowances and not salaries. All soldiers continue getting their salaries back home.

Whereas it is true that some soldiers do not complete their tenure in Somalia, such categories are sorted through a transparent process based on AMISOM Standing Operating Procedures.

There are several grounds under which individuals are sent back home, like medical, general discipline, failure to meet the requirement of AMISOM standing operation procedures, reduction in force as dictated by AMISOM force levels for a contingent, and general performance, among others. .

Most of the names appearing in the media left under grounds like failure to meet the operation standards by performance and discipline, though others were on medical grounds.

The main complainant, one Zephania Nyakubaho, was repatriated after he was found to be non-effective in operations, based on his medical condition. While it might be true that the soldier is HIV negative, there are several other medical conditions that can lead to an individual’s repatriation. Investigations have since been carried out on his claims and established that he does not deserve any claimed payment.

The UPDF takes full responsibility to give the best of treatment to its sick personnel in all operations. It has never been our practice to deny payments to any sick soldier when they are on official sick leave.

AMISOM pays allowances of only troops who are on ground and performing their tasks. As such individuals who are repatriated back to their countries, like Nyakubaho, do not get any more emoluments after twenty one (21) days of leave from the mission area.

Payment is made directly by African Union to the Government of Uganda and onto individual bank accounts of the soldiers by Bank of Uganda.

The UPDF is committed to ensuring the best of welfare of it troops and their families and affirms that all who serve under AMISOM get their pay for the period worked and no individual’s allowances are swindled by paymasters or administrators as was reported in the press.

It is seven years since Uganda sent 7,000 troops to Somalia under the African Union Peacekeeping mission (AMISOM). And for many soldiers, their lives will never be the same again.

Meals

After two days in Somalia, my worry for our soldiers was not about the possibility that they would lose their lives to the Al Shabaab terrorists. Rather, the possibility that our soldiers would return home too obese.

Our soldiers have good meals – a lot better than their counterparts back here. Breakfast includes milk, juice, bread, sausages, eggs and juice, margarine and honey.

There is also a variety of flavors for your breakfast – tea leaves, coffee, or chocolate.

That is what soldiers enjoy for breakfast. Photo by Carol Natukunda

Lunch and supper mainly includes posho (good quality) rice, chicken and beef and sometimes fish, beans and greens and mayonnaise.

There is also dessert – apples, yoghurt, and oranges. In fact during one meeting with their Commander Brig. Dick Olum one morning, one soldier said he had a complaint.

“How come I ate only five apples this week?” he asked. At another time, one of the chefs asked visiting Ugandan journalists to carry as much yoghurt as they could. “The soldiers are tired of it” he said.

Army spokesperson Lt. Col. Paddy Ankunda says soldiers are still required to work out to watch their weight.

“The people who are stationed at the exact battle points might not put on weight because of the nature of the work. Those who are stationed at our units and checking points we encourage them to work out as much as possible,” Ankunda noted.

The mess (dining room) has a TV screen where they watch the international news channels as they enjoy their meal.

There is also a refrigerator stuffed with fruits, juice and water.

Courtesy photo: Major Renee Mwesigwa

Young ‘corporate’ women

On my first day in Mogadishu, I was shocked to see a feisty young woman, all groomed and dressed up in military uniform.

I was thinking she is just a secretary for the UPDF in Mogadishu.

She looked like any of those corporate women you see around town. But that was until I saw her juniors saluting her.

I later learnt that her name is Maj. Renee Mwesigwa. She was among the women that President Yoweri Museveni gave medals for their outstanding work during this year’s Women’s day celebrations.

She is a wife and a mother. Like Mwesigwa, the UPDF, now boasts of having so many women soldiers at the frontline. They look young, stylish and cool in their military gears.

All professions

The army has nearly every expert in them. There are lawyers, accountants, nurses, teachers, and IT professionals among others.

They have caterers to cook, they have doctors among themselves name it. Captain Betty Akello Otekat, the head of nurses under the AMISOM says she was an enrolled nurse under the ministry of health.

She decided to join the army and she has never looked back. She says serving in a risk zone has been rewarding. “After training, I have ably juggled family, school and my career.

I completed a degree in nursing and I am now doing my masters. Some people think being in the army is the end of your life. But for me, it has just the beginning,” Akello says, adding that the remuneration is also good especially if one has to serve in the risky area.

“A nurse working here earns over 800 dollars on average,” she reveals. Another UPDF soldier confided he was a lawyer. “Since I joined the army, my life has not been the same.

I can defend security at the same time; I am able to give legal advice to my people or colleagues within the army.”

The soldiers have two types of uniforms. Photo by Carol Natukunda

Sleek phones and flat screens

If there is UPDF soldier in Somalia who doesn’t own a sleek phone, it is just that they simply don’t want to buy one. Or at least one who has not bought a flat TV screen for their families back home.

It might just be that they are rigid. The UPDF soldiers are earning in dollars. They receive part of their salary as allowance, while the rest is deposited on their bank accounts.

But still the allowances they get are enough for them to afford modern TV sets in Somalia, which they send back home when they can.

Uniforms

There was a time a UPDF soldier had to dress up in tattered uniform. Not anymore. According to Ankunda, each soldier now receives two pairs of uniforms every year.

One set of the uniform has smaller prints/sheds compared to the usual uniform we have known for years.

The gumboots are no longer the ordinary plastic ones which burn the feet under hot sun. They are leather boots.

They also have t-shirts backpacks, water bottles among other necessities.

Discipline

Forget their mean faces. It is only part of their job. A UPDF soldier in Somalia does not shake hands with civilians or even get too close unless you are in danger and they are coming to your rescue.

You just might be the enemy they are looking for. This has earned them respect and admiration from the local Somalis so much that the Somalis now understand some Luganda.

Commander: Brig. Dick Olum

Residence

Although sleeping is a luxury in a soldier’s life, once you are off duty, you are assured of a goodnight’s sleep.

The bathrooms have a shower and flush toilets. Around some of the designated military bases, you can access internet, although it is slow.

The rooms are improvised metallic containers. But they are painted and spotlessly clean.

Each room has four mattresses with bed sheets and a wardrobe.

There is also AC so you don’t even feel the heat even in this desert.

Electricity is mainly solar. Although the water from the sea is salty, the UPDF is trying to have it treated.

Source: http://www.newvision.co.ug/

Holac   

<cite>
said:</cite>

25oyw5x.jpg

hahaha. That is a damning picture saxiib. Who took it? Anyone wishing for AMISOM saving Somalia will be in for a hard shock.