Sign in to follow this  
Holac

What is your definition of extremism? How would you defeat it?

Holac   

Russian academic defines extremism in the practical world.

CHasto-ekstremistskuyu-ideologiyu-sravnivayut-s-revolyutsionnym-dvizheniem.jpg

The head of the Caucasus, Central Asia, Urals and Volga Region Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences' Institute of Oriental Studies, Alikber Alikberov, talks about extremism in the Caucasus. According to the expert, the expansion of the extremist movement is caused by a collapse of traditional values among youngsters.

The definition of extremism is very vague. There are many possible definitions and no widely-recognized one. There is of course a legal definition, but it's different in all countries of the world. The most important thing is what people actually mean when they use this word. The direct meaning of the word is "something extreme" or to be more specific extreme political, social and religious views. Moreover it's also an extreme way of pursuing one's goals. Extremism is often compared to a revolutionary movement, however this is not entirely justified. Still, in some Islamic countries, such as Iran, extremism is labeled as a revolutionary ideology.

From this point of view radical Islamism is indeed a revolutionary movement. Radical Islamists call for the destruction of the present world, they are not ready to compromise. There is no easy way to defeat extremism. Otherwise it would already be defeated. There are however certain mechanisms to prevent its expansion. They all should be used. The first way is to support the educational system. Extremism is always a form of protest. This protest may be a social, political or religious one. It's a protest against the current social order. However this protest becomes intense only in case of serious social transformation, which is always a very complicated process when old values are becoming dated and are replaced by new ones. That is why a successful system of Islamic education is a key to an adequate struggle against radical Islamism. It's also necessary to form a civil society, a single multi-ethnic nation. That is the only way to prevent separatism. We have to overcome existing social, inter-ethnic and inter-faith antagonisms in order to maintain social peace. In such a way we will be able, if not to defeat extremism completely (which is hardly ever possible), then to become a more harmonious society.

Holac   

I chatted on the phone with an academic relative of mine in the Wash/VA area today after Saado's news arrived. He was as far pessimistic as to say "Somalia is at a point of no return" because of extremism. I disagreed with him, but I don't know if I have a credible reason as to why.

How do we find a way out of the current situation?

Khayr   

Radical Islamists call for the destruction of the present world, they are not ready to compromise.

For some reason, when I read that statement I remembered the fleet of yannkkeee navy ships in the middle east and on almost every port in the world along with their fighter jets and drones.

So remind me who is threatening whom again?