Sign in to follow this  
GaraadMon

Toronto teacher Abshir Hassan dead, 2 injured in overnight shooting

A 31-year-old Toronto teacher who died in a triple shooting in Lawrence Heights earlier today, was slain in the same neighbourhood where he grew up and eventually taught.

The shooting occurred just after midnight Tuesday on Flemington Road, near Lawrence Avenue West and Allen Road, according to police. Paramedics treated the fatally wounded teacher, as well as a 22-year-old man and an 18-year-old woman for multiple gunshot wounds as they were lying at the front steps of a four-storey apartment building and distraught residents looked on.

The three were taken to a trauma centre, where Abshir Hassan later died. The other two people are listed in serious but non-life-threatening condition.

Hassan had spent time as an occasional teacher and supply teacher at various Toronto public schools, including at Lawrence Heights Middle School. That school's principal, David deBelle, fought back tears after he described Hassan's impact on his students to reporters.

"He was beloved by all the students and the parents," deBelle said.

Source: CBC News

Safferz   

AUN. I did not know him personally, but we had many mutual friends and acquaintances and from all the tributes and comments I've read, I can tell he was a wonderful human being and loved by many. I'd like to share one from a professor in the city:

"I am so heartbroken. A few months ago I received an email from a young man whom I didn't know, but who had read my work. He was working on a research project of his own, and he wanted to know if I would be willing to meet with him to talk it over. We had friends in common. We had a warm email exchange and we met in person in May. He was one of the young, brilliant, critical thinkers -- 2nd-generation Somali youth -- who are now doing smart research that is both enlightening and beginning to make enormous change. We had a short but powerful conversation and I was so excited to meet him and looking forward to a lifetime of conversations about getting to social justice & activist research.

Abshir Hassan died last night, gunned down at close range in Lawrence Heights.

He was a good, caring person, a teacher & a student, working hard to fix everything that needs to be fixed.

If there is any part of you that thinks that all Somali youth who get shot are gang- or drug-involved, send that part packing. Now.

Please understand that the conditions that create the world in which someone like Abshir Hassan is murdered are conditions that we have all served to create, and we all need to play a part in fixing - especially if you are an employer, a journalist, a teacher, a policeman, a politician... especially if you are white and have power or influence of any kind.

Please try to understand what racist power structures do to young black men, and how even the ones who have done everything they were supposed to do -- who have followed all the rules, who have been successful -- are still not safe.

Please honour Abshir's memory by digging deeper, thinking more, & making up your mind to push against the grain wherever you can. Hire a Somali teen. Challenge the police to stop carding. Refuse to buy into racist sensationalist journalism. Don't buy the Rob&DougFord tripe.

Understand that resilient young Somali men and women will change their world and ours for the better: They could use your support and they don't deserve your ignorance.

Abshir Hassan - rest in peace, rest in power. Inalilah waina ilayhi raji3uun."

If i had to guess, i'd say there is more to this than what they are telling us.

First of all, AUN to Abshir Hassan, cidiisana Samar iyo Iiman.

But why would a teacher be out after 12 oclock hanging out with 18yr olds and a 20yr old kid? You are 31, those are the same age group of kids you probably teach....so why hang out with 'em? If i had to guess, i would say this guy (AUN) was either at the wrong place at the wrong time, or he was involved in some weird stuff.

Back when i lived in Virginia, there was a Middle School Principal who was found dead in his home in Montgomery county, MD. This happened in 2009 or 2010 i think and he worked at some public school in DC. Anyways, 2yrs later after he was found murdered in his home, the cops found out he was soliciting (posting ads) and meeting young boys on Craigslist for sex.

Anyways, i hope they find justice for Abshir and arrest the person who was responsible for this. Too bad they dont have the death penalty, or life without parole in Canada.

AUN to Abshir Hassan though.

galbeedi   

Nin Yaaban, horta saaxiib ma "detective" baad tahay, or are you involved in some kind of law enforcement profession. The reason I am asking is usually, the police people are always skeptical of every crime. Also they assume most people are up to no good.

I do not know the facts of these case, but during the Ramadaan, people stay up late. Taraawiix starts around 11 pm, and even my kids, when they go to mosque for Taraawiix they come home around 1am. Maybe he tried to help dangerous kids, who knows.

<cite>
said:</cite>

Nin Yaaban, horta saaxiib ma "detective" baad tahay, or are you involved in some kind of law enforcement profession. The reason I am asking is usually, the police people are always skeptical of every crime. Also they assume most people are up to no good.

I do not know the facts of these case, but during the Ramadaan, people stay up late. Taraawiix starts around 11 pm, and even my kids, when they go to mosque for Taraawiix they come home around 1am. Maybe he tried to help dangerous kids, who knows.

Galbeedi, sxb, most people that goto Taraaxwiiix, dont end up getting murdered. So whats your point? Ok, maybe he was at the wrong place at the wrong time, and maybe, just maybe, some Qashin with no regard for life or for anyone else took his life. All i am saying is, there is more to this than they are letting us know. AUN to the victim and those that were injured, ilaahay caafimaad deg deg ha siiyo.

This is the problem with Canadien police, they release almost no info regarding to anything. This leaves people to make speculations and make their stuff up. Galbeedi sxb, maybe u, blackflash and Safferz could call up the local Toronto PD's Info line and try to get us more info. :)

galbeedi   

Yes, he could be in wrong place. War jiraaba cakaara iman. Since you are interested about criminals , I thought you were involved to law enforcement profession.

NY, why can't you just offer a condolence and leave it there, rather speculating something that's not relevant for us to know. And why do you look it at a negative angle (with that pedophile comparison)? Those 18 yr-old kids could be his relatives,mentees,neighbor's kids, but that's besides the point. He was a good man who got killed. Alla ha unaxariisto.

This man was a mentor to some of the Somali kids in the neighborhood. He's from North York, which is a suburb of Northern Toronto. He lived in the neighborhood, grew up there, and he was a teacher at the local Toronto public schools.

So it's not unusual that he was out late at night. I know several guys that are just like him.

Allahunaxaristu

The police have said that they are certain that he was not the intended target and that he only went out to move his car to a different parking spot overnight.