Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Captain Phillips - The always wise white guy

Khayr   

I watched this movie a little while ago and was absolutely disgusted by its portrayal of Somalis.

How the hell do you agree to be cast in a movie

as a bunch of dark as hell, ugly and dumb adoons.

For a bunch of dollars, they ended up denigrating Somalis as a bunch of idioatic apes.

Here is the message that I got from the movie:

- Somalis are "pirates".

- Somalis are dull and very stupid.

- Somalis are very unkempt and are messy.

- Somalis make for some dumb criminals. "Come on over, the Somali elders are coming soon" said the marine (while sharpening their knives)

- Somalis are thiefs because afte all the big white

mans ships are in neutral waters (lines that they blur and realign - at their will). Meaning that when they are stealing from you, they are in "neutral waters".

- The white man is very reasonable.

- The Marines are always and I mean always (yankee side) justified to kill anyone and all in anywhere on this earth.

- The white man is always smarter.

YoniZ   

Good observation. But, tell me about the insanity of the Nomads in past two decades. Doesn't that qualify them for the points you mentioned.

The second part concerning the Yankees is well, the sagacity behind the Hollywood project.

No surprises in that Movie, it goes with as they say the "conventional wisdom".

Khayr   

No amount of displacement or hardship should anyone do a movie to perpituate the negative sterotypes of your people and of yourself.

What shocks me is how we encouraged others on here to audition for this crapp. I am glad that I didn't go out of my way to watch this nor paid any money for it.

No wonder they were all screaming oscars - they weren't use to seeing baboons with guns and their master "talking" them out of their guns and then "mercifully" euthanising them. You like that last wording, credit given to hollywood. :)

Coofle   

sentiments detached from reality........Well Who were the pirates determined to perform a heinous act? Soomaalida..Who went to the international waters (by international agreements) again not for mutual or individual benefit but in pursue of inflicting harm? Somalis,.. Who terrorized peaceful humans minding their business? Again reer tolkaa, Somalis...

Gaal dil gartiisana sii , I give the director of Captain credit for going the extra mile and hiring proper looking - talking Somalis as opposed to the Black hawk down hogwash whom had no relation to the average Somalis. it was out of courtesy instead it would have been wiser (budget-wise) to get few other Africans to portray us. depicting that the captain was kinder is a film strategy, even the pirates were shown to have instincts of humanity....

Well Everyone who principally do not agree that pirates are criminals is a hypocrite. what they did was also legally and morally wrong.Again, it was not their fault that we don't and cannot protect our shoreline from East asian and chinese fisheries.....

Tallaabo   

<cite>
said:</cite>

I watched this movie a little while ago and was absolutely disgusted by its portrayal of Somalis.

How the hell do you agree to be cast in a movie

as a bunch of dark as hell, ugly and dumb adoons.

For a bunch of dollars, they ended up denigrating Somalis as a bunch of idioatic apes.

Here is the message that I got from the movie:

- Somalis are "pirates".

- Somalis are dull and very stupid.

- Somalis are very unkempt and are messy.

- Somalis make for some dumb criminals. "Come on over, the Somali elders are coming soon" said the marine (while sharpening their knives)

- Somalis are thiefs because afte all the big white

mans ships are in neutral waters (lines that they blur and realign - at their will). Meaning that when they are stealing from you, they are in "neutral waters".

- The white man is very reasonable.

- The Marines are always and I mean always (yankee side) justified to kill anyone and all in anywhere on this earth.

- The white man is always smarter.

The film makers portrayed Somalis just as they are. If the truth in the movie is too bitter for you then it is not the fault of Hollywood.

Khayr   

sentiments detached from reality……..Well Who were the pirates determined to perform a heinous act? Soomaalida..Who went to the international waters (by international agreements) again not for mutual or individual benefit but in pursue of inflicting harm? Somalis,.. Who terrorized peaceful humans minding their business? Again reer tolkaa, Somalis…

Who defines and determines what a pirate is?

When you call a group "pirates", is it a pejorative term or an accolade?

Who gets to define what is International Water?

Do those parameters change? Is the Sea really that equally divided among the worlds' nations?

Gaal dil gartiisana sii , I give the director of Captain credit for going the extra mile and hiring proper looking

Am confused by this statement? Did you really watch this movie or you just "waving a flag"?

Khayr   

The film makers portrayed Somalis just as they are. If the truth in the movie is too bitter for you then it is not the fault of Hollywood.

I see that you have a very healthy self image of yourself and that you are not a Somali. Otherwise, you would not have made such an asinine statement.

Why is Hollywood free and at will - given the go ahead to portray muslims in any and all negative lights? Hollywood is the greatest professor and teacher of the masses. If Hollywood says that you are hip and funny (see jeews and homosexualss) then that positive message becomes part of the social psychi.