Sign in to follow this  
Hassan1508736697

K'naan to direct his first film in Somalia

Somali-Canadian rapper K’naan has written a film he plans to direct in Somalia by the end of the year, after he spends some time as a student at Sundance Institute’s annual directors and screenwriters labs in Utah. 13 projects were selected to take part in the Sundance Institute’s lab, and K’naan’s Maanokoobiyo happens to be one of the ones to land a coveted spot.

As Janice previously reported, K’naan was left disappointed that his 2012 album “Country, God, or the Girl” didn’t shed enough light on the struggles of his people in Somalia because he gave into the music industry’s demand for music to be soul-less and catchy rather than indicative of real-life stories.

K’naan’s debut film is going to be about his uncle, General Farah Aideed, who was wanted by American rangers in the early 90s when Americans accused him of not allowing food delivery. He intends to tell the story from his uncle's close associates' narrative of the battle for Mogadishu when American rangers faced the ragtag militia of General Aideed.

Explaining that he is not necessarily jumping the music ship in favour of directing altogether, K’naan stresses that he is simply interested in letting his stories play out on a visual medium and he’s excited about working on the audio components of his film as well.

Are you excited for K’naan’s directorial debut?

his story must convey some social reality. films about reer Somalia's failures rarely tell the Somali version of events. it must be organic and rooted in reality. as a budding screenwriter myself, i could lend K'naan one of the various scripts I've produced so far and he could lend his vocal skills to the soundtrack.