Sign in to follow this  
Maqane

Somali woman researches health risks of skin-lightening practices

Haatu   

Safferz;984339 wrote:
Maariin is a bit darker than that, I think, unless the meaning has changed. I.M Lewis writes about how the nomads in the North preferred a "reddish" tinged brown.

What are the other traits? I know dark gums is one
:P

That's it. Maariin is a reddish tinged brown.

Other traits that I can remember are a hawk nose, long neck, small waist and long limbs.

Haatu   

Classified;984342 wrote:
That too, is plausible. What can't be denied is that there was a strong socio-political connection between Upper/Lower Egypt (Ancient Egypt) and the Horn of Africa (Land of Punt). Somalis and Fircoon's people might be of different tribe, but within the same group (people, ethnicity).

There's no doubt they were somehow related (like we are with the Oromo today) as there were a lot of cultural and linguistic similarities, but we were two distinct people.

Safferz;984339 wrote:
Maariin is a bit darker than that.

maarin is the same as maroon (dark brownish color), which takes its name from the French word marron. i believe it's called buuni in Af-Soomaali, which probably takes its name from the Ethiopian term for Coffee (Buna).

so what's the somali term for brown?

Haatu;984349 wrote:
There's no doubt they were somehow related (like we are with the Oromo today) as there were a lot of cultural and linguistic similarities, but we were two distinct people.

Did you know the people of Fircoon played Dhaanto iyo Buraanbur as well?

Look at the right. Two girls doing the "Jecliyayeey jamaal dhulka hooyo".

dance6.jpg

Here are their women wearing the Sadex Qeed with hair braided just like our grandparents' era.

cone-of-incense.jpg

The thing is woman think that Men like Lighter skinned woman, but most men just want a woman who cooks cleans takes care of the children and is a bit educated. And ofcourse she has to be blessed from behind, and than i believe she is good to go.

Alpha Blondy;984351 wrote:
maarin is the same as maroon (dark brownish color), which takes its name from the French word marron. i believe it's called buuni in Af-Soomaali, which probably takes its name from the Ethiopian term for Coffee (Buna).

so what's the somali term for brown?

Horta 'bun' waa Afsoomaali for qaxwada iyo for seed it is produced from; it is not Xabashi word, but rather an Afan Oromo word, a language that shares many words with Afsoomaaliga or should I say Afan Soomaali.

Afsoomaali brown cad waxaa lagu dhahaa mariin, kuwa kalena kafee ayee ugu wacaan.

By the way, 'coffee' derives from qaxwo. Saan ayuu ereyga qaxwo isku bad badalay.

Qaxwo = Carabi

Kahva = Turkish

Café = Talyaani/Faransiis

Coffee = Ingiriis

nuune   
Alpha, the French or those guys you mentioned borrowed the word maariin from Somalia, Soomaaliya waxba lagam soo xadi karo miyaa, soo tiri bal, imisa eray ayaa Afk Soomaaliga laga soo xadey, the best tuugo are Persianka and Hindida, when they used to trade with us, they used to take all our ancient stuff including written words, symbols and evcerything, what about Tuugii weynaa ee Talyaaniga, people only see istaraasho, istakjiin and suugo faankuulo ah as borrowed Italian words, what about them, imisa eray ee naga xadeen, maxaa loo sheegi la'yahey, why do we always confess ourselvies as being the biggest tuugo of Afafka kale, indhaha ha la furo akhyaareey oo aan joojino dhulkaan isku jiideeno sidani si ma ahan.

Hawdian   

@Nuune Hadaan nahey somali anaga waxan jacleyne inan faanino ummada kale ee aduunka adigu uu eeg meelkasto waaba cajiib . waa xanoon illahey cafimad naga seeyo amiiiin.y

Ibtisam   

In all the songs they sing about women with horse hair and hairy arms! When ever someone asks me what Somali men find attractive I have an image of a girl with a long neck, small waist, horse hair and hairy arms (xaad).

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;984382 wrote:
Horta 'bun' waa Afsoomaali for qaxwada iyo for seed it is produced from; it is not Xabashi word, but rather an Afan Oromo word, a language that shares many words with Afsoomaaliga or should I say Afan Soomaali.

Afsoomaali brown cad waxaa lagu dhahaa mariin, kuwa kalena kafee ayee ugu wacaan.

By the way, 'coffee' derives from qaxwo. Saan ayuu ereyga qaxwo isku bad badalay.

Qaxwo = Carabi

Kahva = Turkish

Café = Talyaani/Faransiis

Coffee = Ingiriis

thanks for explaining MMA. :)

Haatu;984330 wrote:
It's called maariin. It's a browness that isn't dark, nor is it light. It was one of the 33(?) traits in a women Somalis termed beautiful.

in what platform were these traits established? gabay, ethnography, chain mail??

Haatu   

SomaliPhilosopher;984425 wrote:
in what platform were these traits established? gabay, ethnography, chain mail??

Never heard it in gabay form but I heard it from people and books. It's folklore.