Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Mouhanad Khorchide ''God Is Not A Dictator''

Ibtisam   

Mouhanad Khorchide ''God Is Not A Dictator''

I read this interesting article this morning, and although primarily an attack on the Salafi's and his experience of them while in KSA, I find some of his answers echo some of the things discussed at a another thread. Of course, you can never agree with all of his answers, but I noticed in Somaliland and in the Asian community, FEAR (without reason) is the central theme that kid are taught in madrass- to the extent that some kids grow up fearing God, like the Qorismaris or the caws iyo biyo cuuno stories our parents use to terrify us with.

I also find it disturbing that parents and often mothers, use fear of God as a method to control their kids behaviour, for example you can tell your 5year old, dont lie, it is bad etc but instead we say "you are going to hell if you lie" (both incorrect and kids inability to understand this). At the same time kids dont get the opposite narrative or reward for their good actions thereby distorting the relationship they would've had with their maker.

Anyway I hope you guys enjoy reading outside the box- if you dont iminkaba ha isku furiin.

About the Liberal Muslims he says:

"Khorchide: They also reduce Islam in a similar way to the fundamentalists.
The fundamentalists hollow it out, by focussing on the façade, on outward features.
The liberals provide a radical response by dispensing with almost all outward features and rituals and limiting it to the shahada, the declaration of belief. That's not enough.
The shahada must find its expression in life."'

http://en.qantara.de/content/intervi...not-a-dictator

Safferz   

Interesting interview, and I hope people read it and understand his provocations come from the Islamic tradition itself, as we have a number of the unthinking fundamentalists he describes here on SOL. Thanks for sharing.

A really great elaboration on the topic is "And God Knows the Soldiers: The Authoritative and Authoritarian in Islamic Discourses" by Khaled Abou El Fadl, he talks about how contemporary Islamic discourse and its self-appointed authorities homogenize Islam, discourage critical thinking and obscure the diversity of Islamic jurisprudential history.

Khayr   

I read his view on the movie that mocked and mocked our beloved prophet (salallahu caliyhe wasim).

He has no love for the rasul (salallahu caliyhe wasilm) and therefore is not of his Ummah.

So to me, what comes out of this man's mouth is nothing but donkey manure.

Saffrez,

We can't have a serious debate with you when you read munafiqs like Khalid Abou Fadl. He lacks credibility in my eyes because he gets his

glory and praises from insulting Islam and muslims.

Safferz   

Khayr;983351 wrote:

We can't have a serious debate with you when you read munafiqs like Khalid Abou Fadl. He lacks credibility in my eyes because he gets his

What are you talking about? Have you read any of his work? I'd love some citations, if you could kindly pinpoint where he's insulted Islam and Muslims and elaborate further on exactly what makes him a hypocrite.

I won't touch your takfir re: Professor Khorchide, since I hope the absurdity of your statements are apparent enough to anyone reading, but I do think it's amazing that you represent precisely the position of anti-intellectualism and unthinking dogma that he, Abou El Fadl and others are talking about. Ironic, really.

Khayr;983351 wrote:
I read his view on the movie that mocked and mocked our beloved prophet (salallahu caliyhe wasim).

He has no love for the rasul (salallahu caliyhe wasilm) and therefore is not of his Ummah.

So to me, what comes out of this man's mouth is nothing but donkey manure.

Saffrez,

We can't have a serious debate with you when you read munafiqs like Khalid Abou Fadl.
He lacks credibility in my eyes because he gets his

Exactly! Well said.

Safferz   

Classified, what do you know about Khalid Abou El Fadl, when you are unfamiliar with his thinking and haven't read one of his books?

Apophis;983362 wrote:
Why are those who disagree with liberal hypocrisy called “anti-intellectual"?. I guess one must be a dirt,y lentil eating liberal to qualify as an “intellectual". Utter BS.

Lol

Safferz   

Apophis;983362 wrote:
Why are those who disagree with liberal hypocrisy called “anti-intellectual"?. I guess one must be a dirt,y lentil eating liberal to qualify as an “intellectual". Utter BS.

You enjoy strawman arguments, don't you? Anti-intellectualism can mean a number of things, but here I mean it as the unwillingness to engage with perspectives, positions and ideas different from one's own and participate in productive exchange (whether that's a debate, or reading a text) and specifically the hostility certain SOLers towards 'thinking outside the box' as Ibti put it.

Marching in here as Classified and Khayr have, hostile to even reading the works of the two scholars mentioned in this thread, is the very definition and practice of anti-intellectualism. No one said anything about agreeing with them, you read THEN you share your thoughtful disagreement.

Safferz;983369 wrote:
You enjoy strawman arguments, don't you? Anti-intellectualism can mean a number of things, but here I mean it as the unwillingness to engage with perspectives, positions and ideas different from one's own and participate in productive exchange (whether that's a debate, or reading a text) and specifically the hostility certain SOLers towards 'thinking outside the box' as Ibti put it.

Marching in here as Classified and Khayr have, hostile to even reading the works of the
two scholars
mentioned in this thread, is the very definition and practice of anti-intellectualism. No one said anything about agreeing with them, you read THEN you share your thoughtful disagreement.

Lol @ two scholars.

Safferz   

Classified;983370 wrote:
Lol @ two scholars.

Again, care to share what works of Professor Abou El Fadl and Professor Khorchide you've personally read? What's your basis for dismissing their scholarship?

Khadafi   

Safferz;983369 wrote:

Marching in here as Classified and Khayr have, hostile to even reading the works of the two scholars mentioned in this thread, is the very definition and practice of anti-intellectualism. No one said anything about agreeing with them, you read THEN you share your thoughtful disagreement.

Safferz, I fully get you here, read and then comment. That sounds very logical and I have to admit I myself had that mentality until a wise person once said to me,. Our eyes and ears are the doors to the heart and soul, so take good care of them. For an example, Ayaan Hirsi published a couple of years ago a book. I saw that it was for sale in a book-shop. I wanted to buy the book and read the book but I then asked myself, Why would I want to give my hard earned money for a book written by woman that I really dislike for her opinion. I simply bought another book.

PS: By the way I do not know who Khaled Abou Fadel is, My anology with Ayaan Hirsi might not be correct but I think you get the message Safferz.

Regarding the article ibti, It was an interesting read. Horrible though that author did not mention the love-aspect of Islam. The knowledgeable Sayyida Rabiica Cadawiya, She was first in Islam who came up with the idea that we should worship God out of love and not fear. This was1000 years ago.