Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Having many kids

Wadani;980094 wrote:
Not hadii ninka iyo naagtu ayna isku qornayn oo u ninku soo shaqeeyo. It's a dishonest way to live, but a lot of these families are doing ok money wise. Enough to build homes back home and drives new minivans lol.

^ this!

somaha, dee? + 1000

abti,

naagta wa lo shaqeeya waana laga shaqeeya, ma garatay? :D

Coofle   

Confusing topics (my life as a man of science and my studies recommend few babies, my spiritual and lust for kids dictate me to have as many progeny as an army) ..... I was relieved when I decided,,,,"Intii Ilaahay ii qoray uun baan dhali, saw awlaaduba risiqa kama mid aha" ... Family planning is different topic , Religiously and scientifically deemed to be good.

Wadani   

Haatu;980178 wrote:
I have a relative AUN oo dhalay 50 cunug no lie
:D
He did his bit for tolka
;)

Masha'Allah. Markabulls are making great strides in shedding their laangaabnimo. :D

Haatu   

Wadani;980180 wrote:
Masha'Allah. Markabulls are making great strides in shedding their laangaabnimo.
:D

Step by step. We have a 50 yr plan and every man has to meet/exceed his 10 per wife quota :D

Safferz   

Coofle;980175 wrote:
Confusing topics (my life as a man of science and my studies recommend few babies, my spiritual and lust for kids dictate me to have as many progeny as an army) ..... I was relieved when I decided,,
,,"Intii Ilaahay ii qoray uun baan dhali, saw awlaaduba risiqa kama mid aha"
... Family planning is different topic , Religiously and scientifically deemed to be good.

Somalis use that very saying to avoid family planning! In fact, many are under the impression that family planning/birth control is haram. I remember discussing this with a friend who works for MSF in kililka 5aad, they've received so many death threats and hostile words from husbands that they no longer discuss BC options with women, and instead advise breastfeeding as a method.

Wadani   

Family planning is nothing more than misanthropic marxist B.S. Whites are now reeling from their current state of self inflicted racial suicide (birth rates below replacement levels) as a result of wholeheartedly swallowing the nefarious designs on the traditional family by these evil leftists under the guise of 'progressiveness'. Ragow dumarka guursada, sii fiicanna u dhaqda, ciyaal badan oo diintooda, dadkooda iyo dalkoodana anfaca dhala.

Safferz   

Wadani;980205 wrote:
Family planning is nothing more than misanthropic marxist B.S. Whites are now reeling from their current state of self inflicted racial suicide (birth rates below replacement levels) as a result of wholeheartedly swallowing the nefarious designs on the traditional family by these evil leftists under the guise of 'progressiveness'. Ragow dumarka guursada, sii fiicanna u dhaqda, ciyaal badan oo diintooda, dadkooda iyo dalkoodana anfaca dhala.

Please tell me this is satire.

N.O.R.F   

Why is this topic usually brought up by people who are adament fewer kids is the way to go but have no offspring themselves? Having many kids is part and parcel of our culture. If it wasn't most of us wouldn't be around today typing into keyboards.

Safferz   

N.O.R.F;980217 wrote:
Why is this topic usually brought up by people who are adament fewer kids is the way to go but have no offspring themselves? Having many kids is part and parcel of our culture. If it wasn't most of us wouldn't be around today typing into keyboards.

lol, so you need to be a parent to have an opinion? These are positions that can be easily substantiated with facts, whether they come from health/medicine, education, economics, or other development indicators. The pro-natalism of Somali culture has had negative consequences for the quality of life of women and children in particular, and for the development of Somali society as a whole.

And not all of us are from large families... I'm one of three children, born to parents who were in their 30s with careers and multiple degrees. It's why I grew up middle class in the suburbs, while the vast majority of Somali Canadians live below the poverty line and in high crime, low income neighbourhoods. Education, socioeconomic status, birth rate, etc are all interrelated - and those conditions in turn shape the context within which your children will be raised and the opportunities they'll have in life - to pretend that having many children isn't associated with a host of issues (or worse, that it's some sort of secular/marxist/feminist conspiracy to depopulate Somali society a la Wadani) is disingenuous and ignorant. The data is there.

N.O.R.F   

Before one can tell others how to live as a family one needs to have lived in his/her own family. Data or not, I find privileged qurbo joogs telling mothers back home how to live their lives distasteful. Who are they to tell mums not to have another kid or to have 4 instead of 6? Why have kids at all? When she could have that nice big house to herself.

3 children or not, somewhere down the line there was a big family that didn't have much. They grazed the lands and tendered to the camel. The more the merrier to do this. If they were to 'plan', for reasons unknown, its likely you wouldn't be here today. But, because of our culture (more so before the wars), large families were the norm. There are large families doing well in the west.

Safferz   

N.O.R.F;980219 wrote:
Before one can tell others how to live as a family one needs to have lived in his/her own family. Data or not, I find privileged qurbo joogs telling mothers back home how to live their lives distasteful. Who are they to tell mums not to have another kid or to have 4 instead of 6? Why have kids at all? When she could have that nice big house to herself.

3 children or not, somewhere down the line there was a big family that didn't have much. They grazed the lands and tendered to the camel. The more the merrier to do this. If they were to 'plan', for reasons unknown, its likely you wouldn't be here today. But, because of our culture (more so before the wars), large families were the norm. There are large families doing well in the west.

I'm talking about statistics and development indicators, and you're giving romanticized images of nomadic and rural poverty. Do you know how many Somali women back home are illiterate because our culture deems it more important for them to be wives and mothers than to be educated? Or that many of these large 'merry' nomadic families deal with chronic malnutrition? Did you know Somalia has one of the highest maternal and infant mortality rates in the world? That our women deal with birth complications related to female circumcision, and that obstetric fistula - a condition where women are literally ripped open by childbirth and can no longer hold their urine and bowel movements - is a massive problem in Somalia, because our women start having children too young for their bodies to deal with pregnancy and childbirth?

And I hope I don't have to explain to you what all of this means for Somali society as a whole, and what economists, political scientists and development analysts have shown about the links between women's health and wellbeing for families and society as a whole. Countries like ours continue to fail so long as that's the reality for women and children. You don't need to be a parent to understand what's at stake here.

If you look at the fertility rates of economically prosperous countries, you'll notice that not even a theocratic nations like Saudi Arabia can stop the negative correlation between development and the number of children a woman has. There's something unsettling to me about those who would advocate natalism or birth control to illiterate Somali women.

Safferz   

Blackflash;980221 wrote:
If you look at the fertility rates of economically prosperous countries, you'll notice that not even a theocratic nations like Saudi Arabia can stop the negative correlation between development and the number of children a woman has. There's something unsettling to me about
those who would advocate natalism or birth control to illiterate Somali women

What do you mean by that? Natalism and birth control/family planning are oppositional concepts. That said, you're making family planning sound like some sort of sterilization project, it's simply having the necessary knowledge and agency to make informed decisions about one's reproductive health, like when and how to conceive and when and how to use contraception or other birth control options like breastfeeding to avoid/delay or space out pregnancies.

N.O.R.F   

Safferz;980220 wrote:
I'm talking about statistics and development indicators, and you're giving romanticized images of nomadic and rural poverty. Do you know how many Somali women back home are illiterate because our culture deems it more important for them to be wives and mothers than to be educated? Or that many of these large 'merry' nomadic families deal with chronic malnutrition? Did you know Somalia has one of the highest maternal and infant mortality rates in the world? That our women deal with birth complications related to female circumcision, and that obstetric fistula - a condition where women are literally ripped open by childbirth and can no longer hold their urine and bowel movements - is a massive problem in Somalia, because our women start having children too young for their bodies to deal with pregnancy and childbirth?

And I hope I don't have to explain to you what all of this means for Somali society as a whole, and what economists, political scientists and development analysts have shown about the links between women's health and wellbeing for families and society as a whole. Countries like ours continue to fail so long as that's the reality for women and children. You don't need to be a parent to understand what's at stake here.

Please note that stats on Somalia are not accurate (they can’t be). As long as we are a nomadic people, there will be large families. The more there are the more hands to help with the land and cattle. Maybe one or two can find work in the cities to support the family. As long as we have whole villages prepared to help raise these kids, there will be large families. Its survival and maintenance economics rather than what you would read in any UN journal.

Maybe the first step is to understand and appreciate how the above circumstances (a survival necessity) contribute to birth rates. Having kids is an economic advantage in our neck of the woods. Pen pushing outside do-gooders won’t change that unless the broader economic circumstances change and/or our culture changes.

Of course issues of birth complication and health risks should be dealt with (that wasn’t what the thread was about previously).