Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

AP Stylebook revises 'Islamist' use

N.O.R.F   

The Associated Press made waves earlier this week when it announced that it was dropping the term "illegal immigrant" from its Stylebook. But another significant change made yesterday seems to have flown under the radar.

On Thursday, after much prodding from the Council on American-Islamic Relations, the AP moved to disassociate the term "Islamist" from its negative connotations with "Islamic fighters, militants, extremists or radicals, who may or may not be Islamists."

CAIR had complained late last year that the AP's old definition of "Islamist" -- a "supporter of government in accord with the laws of Islam [and] who view the Quran as a political model" -- had become a pejorative shorthand for extremist Muslims or "Muslims we don't like."

(Also on POLITICO: "On Media": AP drops 'illegal immigrant' term)

The Stylebook's entry for Islamist now reads as follows (bold mine): "An advocate or supporter of a political movement that favors reordering government and society in accordance with laws prescribed by Islam. Do not use as a synonym for Islamic fighters, militants, extremists or radicals, who may or may not be Islamists. Where possible, be specific and use the name of militant affiliations: al-Qaida-linked, Hezbollah, Taliban, etc. Those who view the Quran as a political model encompass a wide range of Muslims, from mainstream politicians to militants known as jihadi."

CAIR commended the AP's decision in a statement released on Friday: "We believe this revision is a step in the right direction and will result in fewer negative generalizations in coverage of issues related to Islam and Muslims," Ibrahim Hooper, the National Communications Director for the civil liberties group said. "The key issue with the term 'Islamist' is not its continued use; the issue is its use almost exclusively as an ill-defined pejorative."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/04/ap-stylebook-revises-islamist-use-160943.html

islamists, extremists, fundamentalists they can be called whatever you want but the fruit shall remain the same. violence ad infinitum is the modus operandi

Haatu   

warsamaale;963726 wrote:
islamists, extremists, fundamentalists they can be called whatever you want but the fruit shall remain the same. violence
ad infinitum is the modus operandi

Tell me Mr Ebonics, does speaking the dead white man's tongue add to ones intelligence?

^ that's too ethnic, inaar. how about something a little bit more pronounceable. the last thing we want is everyone trying to do a 'frank gardner'........ in over-pronouncing ethnic sounding terms. do you know what i mean? :)

Rahima   

Haatu;963742 wrote:
Tell me Mr Ebonics, does speaking the dead white man's tongue add to ones intelligence?

Thanks for that Haatu- i actually laughed out loud at this one :D

Somalia   

Haatu;963742 wrote:

:D:D :cool: