Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

Somalia's most ambitious politician

Blessed, my skepticism is more so inclined towards the universal health care by 2016 plan. And also, the 1 million children plan is not a 3 year plan rather it is said to be accomplished by this upcoming September. Yes proper funding goes a long way, but do we even know the status of establishing a national curriculum?

NGONGE   

^^ Basic education is possible. Curriculums can be borrowed. Of course, I have not read the links (can't at work for some reason) and don't know the details exactly. However, I believe that health and education are much easier to organise (providing there are funds) than elections, police or a proper civil service by 2016.

Blessed   

You're right, it's 1 year and my comment still stands. I don't know why I wrote 3 years, I've read the report a few times lol. There's been a curriculum in place since the early 2000s, not great in my opinion - it's written by UNICEF / UNESCO but it's a good starting point and covers the basics - also teacher training programme is in place in stable regions too-- this will be extended in Central-South region - which is the main focus of this current drive.. You guys need to understand that the absence of an effective central government for 22 years doesn't necessarily mean zero development in 22 years, she is not starting from scratch. Have some faith!

I don't know what's with all the criticism of this lady. She may be wrong, but her heart's in the right place. She should use her passions in working for an NGO or some other charity group. Obviously we should donate our Zakat dollars to provide for the very poorest of Somalis.

What the Somali President should focus on, is to use government funds to develop a strong military (purchasing submarines, tanks, airplanes, logistical systems, and training for Somali forces) as well as competent court-systems and law-enforcement.

Somalia also needs to invite foreign investment into our country be opening up factories and businesses to employ millions of Somalis and start the long process of turning Somalia into an industrial powerhouse.

Those are the TWO MAIN objectives our Government should focus on. If we open up factories in Somalia, millions of Somalis can be employed and they can use their income to buy their own healthcare and schooling.

Somalia is much too poor to afford government-run healthcare. We need to be realistic. Building a nation takes time. And Somalis recently have developed a mentality where we expect the government to provide for us. That isn't the government's job. We need to be more independent of that.

What is with this Oodweyne character claiming that only secular education is necessary for Somalis? He makes it look like Islamists aren't capable of providing excellent education! How dishonest!

I have many friends who've attended Islamic school (in the United States) and have had great educations. I myself went to Islamic school for a few years. Oodweyne is making it appear as if Islam stands in the way of learning science and math. That couldn't be further from the truth.