Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

International Conference on Somalia -- 7 May 2013

There are 'rumors' of a cabinet reshuffle in Mogadishu sometime in the near future. Not only changes of portfolio, but an increase in the number of ministries (for purposes of widening the representation of the cabinet / clan-wise).

Mind you, these are only rumors at this stage - not yet confirmed....

Lets hope that rumor turns out not to be true. It is the political agenda of the president that is challenged internally , not his cabinet. It would be naive for him to think a cabinet reshuffle will resolve outstanding political issues without him reaching a compromise

Illyria   

This line bears significance to the Jubaland conference with the term progress being operative.

We welcomed the dialogue on the future structure of Somalia that has begun between the Federal Government and the regions. We welcomed progress on forming regional administrations and looked forward to the completion of that process. We encouraged the regions to work closely with the Federal Government to form a cohesive national polity consistent with the provisional constitution.

^^Illyria,you know, unlike these separatist brothers, that there is no constitutional or security argument against Jubbaland process. The world has spent quite a bit of resources and political capital to drive alshabaab from these regions and is supporting the progress that has been made toward establishing a federal state to maintain peace and security.

Think of Oodweyne and Mintid's hyper analysis on Kismayo as a vent for separatist's political frustration with certain 'folks' in Somalia.

Illyria   

Xiin,

True that, but you know the realisation of Jubaland hastens, if not lending support to the death of the secessionists, so it is only fair that they remain apprehensive of its birth. That is how I look at it. A legitimate concern for them, therefore be patient with them for now.

Illyria   

Come on now, let us be civil and stay with the issues. am only sharing some of the concerns my secessionist friends openly express. no harm in that, and no malice behind it. but as was said, let us wait for a few more days.

Illyria   

N.O.R.F,

I am not familiar with your interest in all of this, but I will assume you want what is in the best interest of the country, and if so, then you would not be surprised to learn that the overriding narrative for months now has been to secure capital investment for Somalia, and to bring an end to the war language, therefore my earlier enthusiasm, but having listened to Burns, I retreated.

N.O.R.F;947329 wrote:
Less hopeful about what exactly? Isn't security the biggest issue in Somalia today and for the past 20 years?.

N.O.R.F   

Illyria;947447 wrote:
N.O.R.F,

I am not familiar with your interest in all of this, but I will assume you want what is in the best interest of the country, and if so, then you would not be surprised to learn that the overriding narrative for months now has been to secure capital investment for Somalia, and to bring an end to the war language, therefore my earlier enthusiasm, but having listened to Burns, I retreated.

My interest is irrelevant. Who is going to invest into a country that is still grappling with insecurity? Logic dictates that the conditions on the ground need to be right before any kind of major investment is sanctioned by the major powers. Walk before running and all that.