Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

The Whatcha Reading Thread

Safferz   

I just finished this book this morning, good stuff:

Sexual desire has long played a key role in Western judgments about the value of Arab civilization. In the past, Westerners viewed the Arab world as licentious, and Western intolerance of sex led them to brand Arabs as decadent; but as Western society became more sexually open, the supposedly prudish Arabs soon became viewed as backward. Rather than focusing exclusively on how these views developed in the West, in
Desiring Arabs
Joseph A. Massad reveals the history of how Arabs represented their own sexual desires. To this aim, he assembles a massive and diverse compendium of Arabic writing from the nineteenth century to the present in order to chart the changes in Arab sexual attitudes and their links to Arab notions of cultural heritage and civilization.

A work of impressive scope and erudition, Massad’s chronicle of both the history and modern permutations of the debate over representations of sexual desires and practices in the Arab world is a crucial addition to our understanding of a frequently oversimplified and vilified culture.

Desiring-Arabs-9780226509594.jpg

Wadani   

Good thread. The book seems very interesting. I hate the fact that there is so much to read and so little time. How do u choose what to read, and when to read? Both questions present their own challenges and dilemmas. Any advice Safferz?

As for me, I'm currently reading Fukyamas 'The Origins of Political Order'.

Safferz   

Wadani;942582 wrote:
Good thread. The book seems very interesting. I hate the fact that there is so much to read and so little time. How do u choose what to read, and when to read? Both questions present their own challenges and dilemmas. Any advice Safferz?

As for me, I'm currently reading Fukyamas 'The Origins of Political Order'.

I have no time to read for pleasure anymore :( Everything is either assigned for a class, on a reading list for the four fields I'm being examined on next year, or directly related to a paper I'm working on. Averaging about 4-5 books a week right now, last semester it was a book a day.

Haatu   

servant of the empire

%7BC7F25690-C440-46F4-94CE-004020B44823%

Servant of the Empire is a fantasy novel by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts. Published in 1990, it is the second book in the Empire Trilogy, preceded by 1987's Daughter of the Empire and followed by Mistress of the Empire in 1992.

In the world of Kelewan, Mara of the Acoma has now become an expert player in the Game of the Council through bloody political maneuvering. After buying a group of Midkemian prisoners-of-war, she finds one of them—Kevin of Zūn—to be a great asset in her ongoing struggle for survival and power.

Fantasy all the way.

Wadani   

Alpha Blondy;942597 wrote:
under the guise of pseudo-intellectualism, this waxaar is posting all sorts. :mad:

Safferz broke the very first law of the sacred 48 laws of power 'never outshine the master', and she's now paying the price. :D Alpha, I know u feel threatened by her, since before she graced this forum u were the resident social commentator on SOL par excellence. But, I believe there is enough intellectual space for both of u to thrive on here.

Reeyo   

Safferz;942588 wrote:
I have no time to read for pleasure anymore
:(
Everything is either assigned for a class, on a reading list for the four fields I'm being examined on next year, or directly related to a paper I'm working on. Averaging about 4-5 books a week right now, last semester it was a book a day.

Aaah to be a student again and read and be given TIME to raid the library...

I am reading something some put into my kindle 'The Blade itself'- Joe Abercrombie

I have little time for it though so keep losing the plot every time I go back to it. :(

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;942597 wrote:
under the guise of pseudo-intellectualism, this waxaar is posting all sorts. :mad:

HOw do you people motivate yourself to read fiction? I used to be an avid reader (almost exclusively fiction) but nowadays have little time for it. :(

Haatu   

^Find a genre you like then you'll find yourself looking forward to bedtime to read a few chapters.