Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

Jaalle Maxamed Siyaad Barre

Wadani   

Siyaad Barre wuxuu ahaa geesi, dhiigyocab, wadani, macangag, faxal, aftahan codkar ah iyo manaxe . Wuxuu saaxiib u ahaa kalsooni buuxda, waayo aragnimo iyo hammi siyaasadeed durugsan kana qoto dheer kuwa dhiggiisa ee waagaas ka talinaayay qaaradda madow. Ayaan darro se wuxuu ka soo kaban waayay cudurka qabyaaladda la yidhaa ee dullaysatay guud ahaan umadda u ka soo jeeday, taasi oo haleeshay muddo yar ka dib intii uu hoggaanka wadanka hayay.

Calaa ayyati xaal wuxu ahaa nin noocyo badan oo aan si sahlan loo soo koobi karin. Gabayga la yidhaa 'Macaan iyo Qadhaadh' ee uu tiriyay Abwaan Qaasim ayaa si fiican uga turjumaysa sida ay qof kaliya shakhsiyad wajiyo badan lihi isugu biiri karto.

Safferz   

Thanks for sharing -- I'm not familiar with the book or the writer but I do know the website, and it's a great archive. I've always wondered why no one has written a thorough biography of Siad Barre or a detailed history of his regime (in English at least, I know Barre commissioned a few and there are Somali language publications out there), so I'm glad to see something out. I don't know if I expect much from this book but I'll check it out.

Wadani- I learned some new vocab from your post :D

Safferz- yes, ive been yearning for a good bio on barre for a while, even considered taking the task upon myself. i am interested in checking this one out, but its a bit expensive...

Right now im reading a short book, pamphlet may be a better suited word, on hygiene and cleanliness, published by one of the ministries of the barre administration.

Here is a quote from the chapter called Nadaafadda guriga : "“neecawda iyo iftiinku waa inay soo geli karaan guriga..."

The man ran an interesting regime

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;937366 wrote:
Wadani- I learned some new vocab from your post
:D

Safferz- yes, ive been yearning for a good bio on barre for a while, even considered taking the task upon myself. i am interested in checking this one out, but its a bit expensive...

Cheaper on Amazon UK -- 15 pounds, or about $23.

Apophis;937368 wrote:
I have the book and I have perused through it and, in my opinion, it's nothing but poorly constructed propaganda in favour of the Kacan and it's leadership. And I'm someone who supports Barre 100%.

thanks for your input. is it more skewed towards his policies and Somalia, or his personal life? Or is it well balanced? Does it read well as in is it a good read? Academic value?

SomaliPhilosopher;937369 wrote:
Right now im reading a short book, pamphlet may be a better suited word, on hygiene and cleanliness, published by one of the ministries of the barre administration.

Here is a quote from the chapter called
Nadaafadda guriga
: "“neecawda iyo iftiinku waa inay soo geli karaan guriga..."

The man ran an interesting regime

More from the chapter

"“hufnaanta guriga bay ka mid tahay in musqushu ku taal meel xoogaa ka dhaqaaqsan qolalka la seexdo…”"

Fascinating read.

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;937373 wrote:
Safferz- That is still expensive!!!
:(
. Perhaps we can share a copy lol.

C'mon now, $23 is great for a newly published, hardcover biography, not to mention the fact he's selling it on his own and it appears to be self-published. The book may be terrible, but at least you're supporting a Somali brother :P

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;937376 wrote:
^^ I'll buy if you buy!

I'm afraid I can't do that, I've banned myself from buying books after my most recent bookstore binge. And my bedside table looks like this, so I need to clear the queue first:

2d9bin5.jpg

Safferz-Half of those are library books!!

Have you guys ever noticed the emphasis placed on returning back to Somalia by the 'elders' (mothers, fathers, edos, abtis...) for the sake of "iftiin" "qorrax" iyo "neecaw"