Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

Memorizing somali poetry

D.O.C   

SomaliPhilosopher;934152 wrote:
Blessed, I feel ya. I too missed out as I was raised abroad. After going to Dugsi and memorizing Surah after Surah, I am sure memorizing a few poems is within reach.

Don't break the shell mate, you are trying to hatch too late for somali poetry, memorize qur'an instead.

Wadani   

D.O.C;936814 wrote:
Don't break the shell mate, you are trying to hatch too late for somali poetry, memorize qur'an instead.

Strange.

Coofle   

Kunbulkiyo ardaagii miyaa, laygu kaliyeeyay?

Wixii laygu kuunyeeyay miyaa, igu karaamoobay?

Nice choice .... I love this gabay....

Waxa gabaygaban aad iiga soo jiita Tuducayadan aan QOUTE ka yeelay. Eregya Kuunid sida aan u fahansanahay bal aan sheego, hadii wax la igu kordhin karana ha la igu kordhiyo. Si ereyga Kuunid loo dhugto, ereyo kale oo u eg baan ka bilaabay....(Xan, Maje.erasho, Kuunid)

Xan = Waa in qof maqan wax xumaan ah laga sheego Tusaale ; "Hebel Fantax wayn ayuu leeyahay, Foolxumo waynaa ma doofaar baa"

Majee.rasho = Waa in qof maqan wanaag laga sheego Tusaale ; saahid qamaan ayaa yidhi "Oo ay weliba muuniyo dulqaad igu majee.rtaane"

Kuunid = Waa in qof maqan wax wanaagsan oo uu haysto la odoroso , Tusaale; "Ninkaasi Faras xaweereeya ayuu leeyahay, Alla kiisa oo kale!"

Wadani   

Coofle;937018 wrote:
Nice choice .... I love this gabay....

Waxa gabaygaban aad iiga soo jiita Tuducayadan aan QOUTE ka yeelay. Eregya
Kuunid
sida aan u fahansanahay bal aan sheego, hadii wax la igu kordhin karana ha la igu kordhiyo. Si ereyga Kuunid loo dhugto, ereyo kale oo u eg baan ka bilaabay....(Xan, Maje.erasho, Kuunid)

Xan
= Waa in qof maqan wax xumaan ah laga sheego Tusaale ;
"Hebel Fantax wayn ayuu leeyahay, Foolxumo waynaa ma doofaar baa"

Majee.rasho
= Waa in qof maqan wanaag laga sheego Tusaale ; saahid qamaan ayaa yidhi
"Oo ay weliba muuniyo dulqaad igu majee.rtaane"

Kuunid
= Waa in qof maqan wax wanaagsan oo uu haysto la odoroso , Tusaale;
"Ninkaasi Faras xaweereeya ayuu leeyahay, Alla kiisa oo kale!"

Ceesh calaa darsi. Professor baad ku wanaagsanayd.

Coofle   

SomaliPhilosopher;937258 wrote:
Coofle, thanks for the anylasis. Can you explain those two verses holistically and tell us in why and when you chose to quote those lines in particular

The first part is touching because he said .... miyaa laygu kaliyeeyay...Have I been left alone, it shows how much lonely he was...Remember Old Somali folks never showed caring or love their spouses, some even denying them to pray or fast because they thought "dumarku waa bahaayim", but despite the culture Raage ugaas said it wide and clear, "I loved my wife and I miss her so much".....usually when wife dies the next morning a new wife was wedded....Raage has many poems about wives. He had a soft spot for woman...Good man he was.

The second part shows how great his wife was, He knew men were saying behind his back "I wish had a wife like raage" hence the word Kuunid as I explained above.

Coofle   

He also adds

*Kub miyaan ka jabay , biixiyaan kabayo loo haynin...

Most of the poem is a metaphor from the start to end...he is comparing his predicament to a fractured hip!...

*Xalay kolol'aygii ma ladin, Kaamil reeruhuye

I can't stop to wonder, did Raage Ugaas grieve by shedding tears?, What type of sound he made when he says ((Kololo'aygii)), that is too soft for him...Raage ugaas is well known to make sounds when he is grieving in his other poem "Alleyl dumay" he says

~Allayl dumay, albaabadoo xidhan, uunku wada seexday (A dark night, behind closed doors and the whole world asleep)

~Onkod yeedhay, uugaamo roob, uluuf banaadiiq ah (Thundering rain with gale winds, sounding like Thousand guns [shot same time])

~ iih aah-dayda bixi baa , libaax iman la moodaaye (The sounds I am producing similar to that of a lion on a hunt)

iih-aah and kololo' are sounds described by Raage....a man of Taah...

A great poet he was.

Thanks again Coofle for the excellent commentary. Yes, I recall reading how expressing love was taboo during such time. It takes a special man to go against social taboos. What exactly is "Kololo", it any kind of sound?

Also when he says "webi karaar dhaafay" , is it the rivers are overflowed, or the river missed out on its chanced of being full

Ama habar kurkii iyo wadnaha, lagaga kaw siiyay

Why has I.M. Lewis and other "scholars" translate this line ^^ as. I don't read it as so

"Or like an old woman whose only son was killed"

I have been busy and neglected this beautiful gabay. anyways Pop recital quiz

Sida korta Yucub la sudhay, korommo buubaal ah

Ama geel ah oo nirgaha laga ka xaynaayo

Ama beelo keynaan ah oo kor hayamaaya

Ama ceel karkarrada jebshiyo, webi karaar dhaafey

Ama habar kurkii iyo wadnaha laga kaw siyay

_____________________________________ idk

Shinni kaluuf galay ama koronkoro omay..............

and that is all SP knows

Maqane   

SomaliPhilosopher;934210 wrote:
War Abbaas, grazie. I am a big fan of that song "In the beginning". Please provide some historical context and interpretation of the poem above ^^^^^^^^ I am curious

Sorry for the late reply sxb, didn't notice it.

Well, the story has a very deep meaning, laakiin i can't tell exactly. Still searching for an Authentic interpretation sxb. :)