Sign in to follow this  
wyre

ASAD An Oscar nominated short film FULL

Wadani   

This film sucked. I can't believe it would be nominated for an oscar. The nomination is more an insult than anything else as it proves that the bar is set so low for us black africans that even a mediocre piece of work is considered great by the West.

Maarodi   

Wadani;930334 wrote:
This film sucked. I can't believe it would be nominated for an oscar. The nomination is more an insult than anything else as it proves that the bar is set so low for us black africans that even a mediocre piece of work is considered great by the West.

Lmao! Well it's a message to you to make a better one. I honestly agree though, it wasn't all that. I appreciate them using the native people but sometimes their Somali was off. How could they get it so wrong with all of those Somali "consultants".

Hopefully this poor piece can inspire Somali writers to make their own scripts and act well. I wonder though, would this film make it all the way to the Oscars if the producer wasn't white?

Safferz   

Every Western cliche and caricature of Somalia in 17 minutes. I'm surprised they didn't manage to work in female circumcision somewhere. Trash.

Wadani   

Safferz;930407 wrote:
Every Western cliche and caricature of Somalia in 17 minutes. I'm surprised they didn't manage to work in female circumcision somewhere. Trash.

Loool right? Trash wallahi.

And to Maroodi, imagine we hadn't destroyed our country. I have no doubt in my mind that we'd have a robust and internationally acclaimed movie industry by now.

N.O.R.F   

^How would the plot go if you were in charge over the next 20 mins of the movie (keep your wild imagination out of it :D).

Let's finish it off.

NGONGE   

^^ Keep your imagination out of it and how the plot would go don't go together saaxib. :D

At any rate, I thought the story was done in the kid learning a lesson about what happens to pirates (though he may be tempted to catch himself more lions). :D

N.O.R.F   

NGONGE;930528 wrote:
^^ Keep your imagination out of it and how the plot would go don't go together saaxib.
:D

At any rate, I thought the story was done in the kid learning a lesson about what happens to pirates (though he may be tempted to catch himself more lions).
:D

You missed the word 'wild'. Knowing you, you might introduce banana eating Alians into the story :D

It has the begginings of a good movie. A Somali Goodfellas? :D

Safferz   

Wadani;930408 wrote:
Loool right? Trash wallahi.

I'll help them out by presenting Asad II:

Part 1

After walking through the market of his sleepy fishing town with his "catch," Asad visits old man Gacme (he lost his hand in a landmine explosion during the civil war), who reminsces about what Somalia was like before women wore tent-like religious garb and could sunbathe half-naked on the sandy beaches. Since no one in his town has ever seen a cat before (but see lions on a daily basis, and so can relate the strange creature's resemblance to its larger cousin), Asad continues to explain to the impoverished, illiterate villagers about his find as he walks home. The camera cuts to scenes of women peering out beneath their veils, several AK-47s and a rocket launcher, a toddler with a protruding belly, crying while his mother swats flies away from his face, before zooming in on bullet holes in the wall behind them and cutting to the next scene.

Hearing yelling and slaps outside of the hut he shares with 10 people, Asad listens at the door and realizes that his father has returned home with a second wife. His mother's battered face shows both physical and emotional distress, but she resigns herself to the fact she has no control as a woman in a deeply patriarchal society. And your useless daughters, his father says, what man will want them if they have not been cut? What will protect their modesty, and prevent them from engaging in shameful behaviours like the infidels? Asad continues to listen as his mother promises she will take the girls to the old woman in the village responsible for circumcisions tomorrow, Faro Dheer. It is only then, she says, that they will be ready for us to arrange their marriages.

A friend calls out to Asad to let him know that Al-Shabaab religious extremists are closing in on the town, and that he's received word that they have banned sambuusa, Asad's favourite snack. The small lion wimpers in his arms, as if confirming with the movie watcher's fears that no good can come from Islam. The distant crackling of gunfire can be heard in perfect harmony with the call to prayer.

TO BE CONTINUED

Safferz;930643 wrote:
I'll help them out by presenting Asad II:

Part 1

After walking through the market of his sleepy fishing town with his "catch," Asad visits old man Gacme (he lost his hand in a landmine explosion during the civil war), who reminsces about what Somalia was like before women wore tent-like religious garb and could sunbathe half-naked on the sandy beaches. Since no one in his town has ever seen a cat before (but see lions on a daily basis, and so can relate the strange creature's resemblance to its larger cousin), Asad continues to explain to the impoverished, illiterate villagers about his find as he walks home. The camera cuts to scenes of women peering out beneath their veils, several AK-47s and a rocket launcher, a toddler with a protruding belly, crying while his mother swats flies away from his face, before zooming in on bullet holes in the wall behind them and cutting to the next scene.

Hearing yelling and slaps outside of the hut he shares with 10 people, Asad listens at the door and realizes that his father has returned home with a second wife. His mother's battered face shows both physical and emotional distress, but she resigns herself to the fact she has no control as a woman in a deeply patriarchal society. And your useless daughters, his father says, what man will want them if they have not been cut? What will protect their modesty, and prevent them from engaging in shameful behaviours like the infidels? Asad continues to listen as his mother promises she will take the girls to the old woman in the village responsible for circumcisions tomorrow, Faro Dheer. It is only then, she says, that they will be ready for us to arrange their marriages.

A friend calls out to Asad to let him know that Al-Shabaab religious extremists are closing in on the town, and that he's received word that they have banned sambuusa, Asad's favourite snack. The small lion wimpers in his arms, as if confirming with the movie watcher's fears that no good can come from Islam. The distant crackling of gunfire can be heard in perfect harmony with the call to prayer.

TO BE CONTINUED

i've NEVER witnessed such negativity and stereotypical BS my whole life. its a great SHAME you think this of your culture and people.

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;930655 wrote:
i've NEVER witnessed such negativity and stereotypical BS my whole life. its a great SHAME you think this of your culture and people.

Do you know what satire is?