Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Lifting Somalia’s Arms Embargo and a Renewed Political Conflict

STOIC   

For all the dissolution of the false solidarity you will think this country will finally gets its act together!Same question I was asking Ngonge in the other thread.Much is happening in Somalia these days, all under the radar of the new government Parliament.While in the papers they exist, in reality they are not any different from the pedestrian politics we read here everyday.Why can't the representative from different regions (thought we were told they are representative of every region) have the luxury of picking and choosing the direction of the country if the president is deemed clinically deranged when it comes to running the country effectively?

Baashi   

Oodweyne,

But what about the MPs? I don't know what to make of them!! I mean if you read the constitution all the relevant issues of the age are their turf and only they can decide the way forward. They have awesome power but they seem to be a spectators of this looming crisis.

STOIC;922050 wrote:
For all the dissolution of the false solidarity you will think this country will finally gets its act together!Same question I was asking Ngonge in the other thread.Much is happening in Somalia these days, all under the radar of the new government Parliament.While in the papers they exist, in reality they are not any different from the pedestrian politics we read here everyday.Why can't the representative from different regions (thought we were told they are representative of every region) have the luxury of picking and choosing the direction of the country if the president is deemed clinically deranged when it comes to running the country effectively?

After enough time on this Forum, I thought you would have known the answers to those questions!

You see there is no Somalia, currently. There is Somalia, the land mass, but, alas, no nation...

You see in the former Italian Somalia, interest groups never discuss their core interests when they are with other interest groups. Everyone wraps themselves up in the beautiful, blue flag with the five-pointed, white star and then continues on to sing a tear-jerking rendition of Soomaaliyey toosow... etc., etc. But no group ever engages in a honest negotiation with the other groups spelling out 'These are our core interests! In the absence of these core interests, we will do our utmost to be spoilers of the current nation-building project!'

For you see, in every society, every nation, every people, these varying core interests exist and are carefully deliberated and negotiated when the various interest groups meet. However, in 'Soomaaliyey toosow' land (the former Italian Somalia), each group keeps its crucial interests hidden, never to be discussed with the opposite side of the table. Each group believes they can trick the others under the emotional, tear-jerking moment of 'Somalinimo'. Never mind that these interests are known to every 20 yr old as soon as they become politically cognizant! But the mirage must be maintained at all costs!

The big tent rallying cry while quoting revisionist, non-factual historical stories such as the Kismayo murder story above is just a minor example of these continuous attempts to bamboozle separate interest groups.

Now raise the flag and sing the song with me.............

STOIC   

Minti,

To be fair to Somalia, the country, there is many holes to fill and many wounds to heal.I had my hopes high when the US finally recognized Somalia.I also had high hopes when Somali Parliamentarians appointed their president in a transparent way.I thought no longer were they sterile when it came to the world of following orders.But then my hopes got shut when my eyes squinted to read the last few days posting of the fine print between our resident pedestrian politicians in SOL.

There is a clear sense of disconnect between the parliament authority and the president office.A vacuity of sense exist here.This much is clear to me after reading ALL the pedestrian political talks here that Somalia was in a deep coma, but one that was on its way of getting a defibrillator kick soon or later.When I was arguing for the arms embargo I was coming from national sovereignty and independence country angle.I was also crowning a piece of rare jewelry found in Somalia called a government! My believe was the country has a government and a parliament that can spell out the directions of major decisions.Having said all that it would be unfair to place all the blame on the president only as he should also be answerable to the parliament that elected him.What are they doing is the question?

Baashi   

Common now :) We're talking about Somalia and Somalis that inhabit them. Waxaad xaafada markaad joogtaan aad isu sheegtaan miis rag leeyahay ha keenina

Quite the opposite, awoowe. You see the gridlock and impasse stem from the fact that each interest group wants to have all its demands considered and wants to see the other side concede. All the while the same interest group want to deny their perceived foe everything the supposed clan enemy considers the bottom line. Hence the much despised ‘Winner Takes All” mentality that characterized our politicians.

Take any issue of importance and my statement above rings true.

Secessionists want to secede their corner for the benefit of their clan under the guise of colonial legacy. Their opponent equally is adamant in their opposition against secessionist stated objectives. Each player in this clannish tag war has stakeout clear position. No mystery here. If one side compromises all is well and civil strife ends momentarily.

Beelaha Mogadishu wants to rule the country in the the post-civil period as Inna Barre once did. Puntland is clear in its desire to redefine the status of Mogadishu (move the capital to another city or make Mogadishu shared government seat – just like DC), reduce the central government’s awesome power and shift back to federal member state in dual governance federal arrangement with all checks and balances). Again both sides have stakeout a clear position. If one side concedes all will be well and dandy and if it each side insist on their objective and reject compromise the mayhem will continue.

AS rebels made it clear they want to bring the state and the surrounding Somalis in the neighboring states under Islamic state. Numerous coalitions – clan interest groups, neighboring states and western powers are dead set to prevent that vision by any means necessary. Again there is no grey area here. Everyone understands the stakes and plays hardball to win the ultimate prize.

In this unfortunate environment, the winner takes all mentality and the absence of compromise is what destroyed the country boowe. Oh yeah folks tell it as it is – on the radio, in the print, in the marfish and on the national stage.

Inna Barre told by decree any intelligent analysis of where the country is heading was akin to treason. He was clear that he and only he were fit to rule. Inna Aideed was clear what he wanted and what prize he was willing to pay (even if the country goes down the drain). Ina Egal was also clear about the status of Somaliland going forward. Inna Yussuf had it in his genes to tell it as it is.

The reason none of them made to promise land is because they can’t. This is unwinnable civil war. You can dream of dreams of grandiose, tell tall tales and convince yourself and folks from your tuulo that you are making progress, others are lacking behind (because of their inferior clan genes) and the golden cup is within reach and in the process destroy a country and generation of Somalis.

One thing Somalis are good is insisting on getting all their political wishes at one go by any means necessary. They did that and they intend on doing that going forward.

Mario B   

Baashi;922061 wrote:
Common now
:)
We're talking about Somalia and Somalis that inhabit them.
Waxaad xaafada markaad joogtaan aad isu sheegtaan miis rag leeyahay ha keenina

Quite the opposite, awoowe. You see the gridlock and impasse stem from the fact that each interest group wants to have all its demands considered and wants to see the other side concede. All the while the same interest group want to deny their perceived foe everything the supposed clan enemy considers the bottom line. Hence the much despised ‘Winner Takes All” mentality that characterized our politicians.

Secessionists want to secede their corner for the benefit of their clan under the guise of colonial legacy. Their opponent equally is adamant in their opposition against secessionist stated objectives. Each player in this clannish tag war has stakeout clear position. No mystery here. If one side compromises all is well and civil strife ends momentarily.

Beelaha Mogadishu wants to rule the country in the the post-civil period as Inna Barre once did. Puntland is clear in its desire to redefine the status of Mogadishu (move the capital to another city or make Mogadishu shared government seat – just like DC), reduce the central government’s awesome power and shift back to federal member state in dual governance federal arrangement with all checks and balances). Again both sides have stakeout a clear position. If one side concedes all will be well and dandy and if it each side insist on their objective and reject compromise the mayhem will continue.

AS rebels made it clear they want to bring the state and the surrounding Somalis in the neighboring states under Islamic state. Numerous coalitions – clan interest groups, neighboring states and western powers are dead set to prevent that vision by any means necessary. Again there is no grey area here. Everyone understands the stakes and plays hardball to win the ultimate prize.

In this unfortunate environment, the winner takes all mentality and the absence of compromise is what destroyed the country boowe. Oh yeah folks tell it as it is – on the radio, in the print, in the marfish and on the national stage.

Inna Barre told by decree any intelligent analysis of where the country is heading was akin to treason. He was clear that he and only he were fit to rule. Inna Aideed was clear what he wanted and what prize he was willing to pay (even if the country goes down the drain). Ina Egal was also clear about the status of Somaliland going forward. Inna Yussuf had it in his genes to tell it as it is.

The reason none of them made to promise land is because they can’t. This is unwinnable civil war. You can dream of dreams of grandiose, tell tall tales and convince yourself and folks from your tuulo that you are making progress, others are lacking behind (because of their inferior clan genes) and the golden cup is within reach and in the process destroy a country and generation of Somalis.

One thing Somalis are good is insisting on getting all their political wishes at one go by any means necessary. They did that and they intend on doing that going forward.

applause.gif

Bashi has aptly described the somali defect.

“Change will never happen when people lack the ability and courage to see themselves for who they are.”

― Bryan McGill

Baashi effectively destroyed Macno Yare's attempt to muddle Somalia's political narrative and contaminate the young, innocent minds with non existent cultural anthropology extrapolation :D.

STOIC has been saved indeed, fahal min mathakarin

STOIC   

I'm sorry to say this, the first thing that meet the eye is a people that don't wants to work very hard, collaborate with one another , and prepare the way for a future in which they can create a healthy, safe, and free future for all Somalis.It is safe then to say the Winner-take-all mentality has emotionally compelled Somalis to consolidating and sustaining the country directions by how far each clan can milk out of the Mandeeq? No one wants to trust Mandeeq with any emerging visions that astray from their clan influence.No one is frowning upon or dismissing anyone that questions authorities elected to lead the country as long as it is in line with their clan advantage.It takes few minutes to feel the weight and the presence of clan influence in any Somali.All I see is people morally invested and politiclly engaged in clan politics.Within the contours of current political atmosphere Somalis is far from being victorious.

No one INK is dry or their voice dampen when their clan is in the equation.They will fight foot and nail to win an argument.Everyone wants to fire the rocket first.Just shows the utter hypocrisy of dillydallying that the country is unified.Somali crisis is definitive and sustained by CLAN

PS: Xiin, I think we all can read between the line lest our formal education failed us misreably.No one is saved here if anything I have many people in mind that needs some SAVING

^^Sorry if that got you but I kind of sensed from experience you would nod your head in agreement with Macno Yare's Italian Somalia nonsense :D

Despite the confusion, Somalis will ultimately realize federalism (short of single winner vanquishing all other Somalia's various political stakeholders) is the effective (though not ideal) and practical way to move the county forward. We will see to it that simple proposition is strongly voiced in this forum. Some will shout 'he is clannish...he is munaafaq :D , he is that " , but seldom do strong reasoning and rational arguments get defeated by such cowardly slogans ...

We have seen it before ...with the peace caravan that begot the roadmap , which gave birth to the current national leaders.

STOIC   

^This was about Somalia spiral down and I don't know how Somaliland got tailored up in this discussion.You were part of the few I had in mind that needs some real Soul-searching with their adrenaline rush pedestrian politics.I think you should also try to look at people's argument with a different lense than the regional one you like spot on every one in every thread.

Odey   

Baashi;922061 wrote:
Common now
:)
We're talking about Somalia and Somalis that inhabit them.
Waxaad xaafada markaad joogtaan aad isu sheegtaan miis rag leeyahay ha keenina

Finally!, common sense and clear analysis. I congratulate you sir!, more of the same please!

N.O.R.F   

Xiin, I mean come on! Are you really hanging your hat on that article? Whats gotten into you lately saxib? Naga daa these thinly veiled articles.

Baashi has made another very good post there.

Hanging my hats, eh? :D

I thinking the noise coming from certain corners is having effect on you, North. All xiinfaniin did is a post article , and that as usual rattled some folks. Reread the article and see if you can take stab at it awoowe.

N.O.R.F   

The article is biased and has holes in it. You've implied you agree with it. The latter is suprising. You're losing your objectivity awoowe.