Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

Somali and Nomad discriminatory and politically incorrect?

Somalis pride themselves in their nomadic way of life and have for all practical purposes made the term "Nomad" synonymous to the Somali name. We have traditionally looked down upon alternative lifestyles such as farming with great disdain hence why we value this "Nomad" identity.

This Nomadic lifestyle is one of which that exists predominantly in north and central Somalia. The Southern Somalis for the most part practice a different lifestyle, one that cannot be considered "Nomadic". Yet Nomad means Somali, Somali means Nomad. Is this not a form of exclusion from our Southern kinsmen, who make up a significant portion of our people.

Continuing this point, the term Somali as some of us know is derived from a believed ancestor name "Saamale". The story goes "Saamale" had a close relative, perhaps brother I don't know, named Saab. "Saamale" is the ancestor for the most part of the northern and central clans (Nomads), whereas "Saab" for the Southern clans (farmers)

Even in the original name itself "Somali", derived from "Saamale" not "Sab" there appears to be a form of exclusion both in the pseudonymous "Nomad" and the actual name "Somali".

Is this not a form of exclusion? Is this "politically correct"? Has the 'Somali' identity been hijacked by a certain portion of its populace.

Thoughts? Opinions? Please share

Wadani   

This is already well known in academic circles, and there is a prominent RRA scholar of Somali studies who has been exposing this hijacking of the Somali name and history. I forget his name, but it had Mukhtar in there somewhere.

isn't the Sab folks originally oromo or something like that there is difference not just the fact that they are farmers but most somalis came from north somalia orgininally especially Zeylac and harar in ethiopia and those areas.

Haatu   

SP, why call the inter-river region South when it's not? The nomads live well further down than that so the majority are clearly nomads and as with all things, the majority rules.

Haatu, in terms of the name "Somali" aspect of this discussion, the "majority" rules argument does not hold given the D&M make up a significant portion of the population. As for the issue of the South, the geographical definition is irrelevant. The people that live "further down" are not a nomadic people, they are farmers. This holds for much of the territory below Mogadishu no?

Wadani   

Actually, Somaphilospher, people in Gedo, NFD and some in the jubboyinka and Shabeelaha lead a nomadic lifestyle. Even some rra groups practise animal hubandry along with their subsistence on agriculture. Also, there are regions in the north, such as in Awdal, where farming has been practised for generations. So it's not a clean north/south divide, but I do agree with u nonetheless that the farming community in Somalia is a very large demographic whose history, culture and traditions are largely ignored.

Raamsade   

The only people in Somalia who practice or rely only on farming as a way of making a living are Bantu Somalis. They're found along the Shabeele and Jubba Rivers leading a sedentary life. All ethnic Somalis irrespective of clan are either outright pastoralists or agropastoralist (part-time nomads). So, you're woefully misinformed Somali Philosopher. It is accurate to say Somalis are nomadic people.

And no one knows with any certainty the etymology of Somali. Some say it comes from two words: soo and maal which loosely translates as "go milk." Others say it comes from Samaale, the mythical progenitor of Somali people. Since I don't subscribe to Sab and Samaale fairytale, I'd stick to Soo Maal hypothesis until I find a better alternative.

Miyir   

Raamsade;920547 wrote:
The only people in Somalia who practice or rely only on farming as a way of making a living are Bantu Somalis. They're found along the Shabeele and Jubba Rivers leading a sedentary life. All ethnic Somalis irrespective of clan are either outright pastoralists or agropastoralist (part-time nomads). So, you're woefully misinformed Somali Philosopher. It is accurate to say Somalis are nomadic people.

And no one knows with any certainty the etymology of Somali. Some say it comes from two words:
soo
and
maal
which loosely translates as "go milk." Others say it comes from Samaale, the mythical progenitor of Somali people. Since I don't subscribe to Sab and Samaale fairytale, I'd stick to Soo Maal hypothesis until I find a better alternative.

Like you i don't subscribe to these Sab and Samaale story, sounds to me other Somali Arab myth.

Old somali Soo=Meat

Soo-Maal = pastoralist

Biyo-Maal = Fisheries

Tu-maal - Farsamayaqaan (blacksmiths)

Most Somalis are pastoralist.

Haatu   

Miyir;922539 wrote:
Like you i don't subscribe to these Sab and Samaale story, sounds to me other Somali Arab myth.

Old somali Soo=Meat

Soo-Maal = pastoralist

Biyo-Maal = Fisheries

Tu-maal - Farsamayaqaan (blacksmiths)

Most Somalis are pastoralist.

Interesting. Where do you get the info on Classical/Old Somali?

Miyir   

Soo=meat ( gabayadii hore) I asked and it clicked.

our names explain what we do for living as you can see other examples.

all the tribal names is recent invitation i believe.

Haatu   

Miyir;922543 wrote:
Soo=meat ( gabayadii hore) I asked and it clicked.

our names explain what we do for living as you can see other examples.

all the tribal names is recent invitation i believe.

This makes no sense at all. Terrible English sxb. Bal try again.