Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Shirweynihii 1aad ee SOL

underdog   

Haatu;918317 wrote:
There's a whole lot of nacnac in this thread that'll take far too long to read. Anyone care to summarise?

Name calling is uncalled for. I sincerely apologize.

Day 4 of Shirweynihii SOL

after yesterdays chaotic anti-climatic finish to proceedings, a number of excellent ideas were put forth by the delegates. again, i would like to remind the delegates, this is a conference dedicated to affairs of SOL and i would like to further add despite the slow pace of momentum, things are now picking up and there'll be plenty of time for further discussions. i think the organisers and indeed the delegates of the shirweyne have done an excellent job thus far. yet, as we make more concerted efforts to address all the ideas put forth, i think a polite reminder of house-keeping rules maybe necessary here. in yesterdays debrief meeting, we received several complaints from the suggestion box (placed to the right of the venue hall entry). these complaints will be duly addressed by the complaints management committee but i think its important we don't lose too much time in discussing it now.

i would like to bring your valued attention to two projects which are transforming and indeed playing a pivotal role in improving universal access to health and education, and leave YOU to ponder on how you, too, can play a vital role in these effects. it takes one person to change things but it'll need all our collective efforts and support.

Powerpoint Presentations.....ON

First Presentation

13.jpg

Mohamed Aden Sheikh Children Teaching Hospital, in the city of Hargeisa, the capital of Somaliland, an autonomous region of Somalia. The Mohamed Aden Sheikh Children Teaching Hospital, in short MAS-CTH, is probably the biggest health project being carried out in Somalia since the beginning of the civil war in 1991. The Hospital will provide free health care to all children of Somalia and will be equipped with a multimedia classroom for training of local personnel. The MAS-CTH non-profit organization aims to support the hospital until a new generation of doctors and nurses is trained to the highest possible education level comparable to western countries, in respect of local rules and traditions.

Mohamed-Aden-Sheikh.jpeg

Dr. Mohamed Aden Sheikh (AUN)

The hospital was an idea of Mohamed Aden Sheikh, a doctor trained in Rome and Health Minister in Somalia in the 70s and later accused of conspiring against the government of Siad Barre; for the latter reason Mohamed was imprisoned in solitary confinement for six years and later named prisoner of the year by Amnesty International. After his release, Mohamed Aden Sheikh moved to Italy to continue his political activities in favor of the Somali Diaspora. In 1999 he was elected town councilor in Turin. He died in December 2010 but is still known and appreciated for what he has accomplished during his lifetime. Mohamed wanted the Hospital to be built in Hargeisa in Somaliland to reward the peace efforts of local administrators, even though it was far away from the lands of the South where he was born and raised; he wanted the hospital to be free for everyone.

1-20121114-3-.jpg

http://www.mascthonlus.org/en

------------------------

Second Presentation

United for Somali Students (USS) is a charity which aims to elevate the educational attainment of underprivileged Somali students in the Horn of Africa as well as in the UK within the Diaspora community. Our two current programmes are the `Gift of Education’; a scholarship programme due to be implemented in Somalia and `Engage’; a mentoring/tutoring service in London.

Gift of Education

We at USS believe that education is a fundamental human right and with our program, we hope to make this a reality for those in the Horn by helping to widen access to tertiary education. The Gift of Education’ programme provides the opportunity to academically excellent students, whose access to higher education is limited due to lack of funds, explicitly recruiting students from IDP camps and orphanages. Our scholarships will cover the cost of tuition at an average of $500 per annum. We aim to provide scholarships for 20 students at each of the following universities:

1) Amoud University 6) University of Hargeisa

2) Burao University 7) Nugaal University

3) Puntland State University 8) University of East Africa

4) Galkayo University 9) Mogadishu University

5) Benadir University 10) Kismayo University

384092_288170891292421_1855937596_n.jpg

Each university has agreed to provide two additional places for orphans free of charge bringing the total from 200 to 220 students. Each student enrolled in the program is also expected to give back to the local community by holding literacy and numeracy classes for adults. The universities will facilitate these lessons. This will ensure the benefit is far reaching and has an immediate positive knock on effect on the local community in addition to the long term advantages of an educated populace.

The selection process for the students is in many stages where the initial stages are undertaken by the universities and the final selection is done by USS. The first intake of students will be in September 2011 and there are three payment instalments for the academic year.

`Engage’

Our other program is aimed at underprivileged Somali GCSE students in the UK, mainly from low-income households in London. We have just completed a full year pilot scheme in Acton, west London for the 2010/2011 academic year where we have held sessions every Sunday with an hour each for Mathematics, English and Science and a final hour dedicated to workshops including, interfaith, career pathways, spoken word poetry, debates and many others.

We intend to expand to other Somali populated communities in London and in England in the future.....http://www.unitedforsomalistudents.com/

----------

these efforts are restoring hope and much needed service delivery back to our people. its crucial we ask ourselves how, we, too, can contribute to these excellent efforts. SOL is a hub for like-minded, active and dedicated individuals. lets use our combined efforts to do similar efforts for the betterment of our people. your efforts don't have to be huge but supporting the establishment of SOL Advisory Body is a start. we can set up a small group, where we ALL have joint-ownership off and support key developmental projects like the two mentioned above by remitting money, mailing books, purchasing/procuring hospital equipment and SENDING it, to individuals on the ground in the Somali peninsula like Alpha, Abwaan, IBZ, JB and others. this is far more effective and reliable than the usual channels and will ensures absolute accountability to the SOL donors. our STRONG online community is smart, tech savvy, have access to influential people in the corridors of power in the WEST and here too on ground. through our joint efforts we could potentially make a HUGE difference to all OUR people. the internet is creating new dynamic and innovative ways to interact, to work together and it requires no infrastructure investment. SOLers are gaining greater access to information, have more opportunities to engage in public policy debates, and have an enhanced ability to undertake collective action.

underdog;918315 wrote:
I'm staring to think you're more of an elitist bureaucrat rather than a man of the people....who am I kidding, I've always thought that.

the "delegates" have views contrary to the mainstream (the general public)... by definition, delegates are supposed to be appointed representatives of the people so that they may voice the concerns of the mainstream/people in a single voice within a decision-making forum.

If these so-called delegates have views other than those of the mainstream, all but Imperial elitist logic would disqualify them as representatives of the people.

"others" have been expressing themselves here for well over a decade.

Maybe you should just skip the formalities and organize SOL presidential elections. If you win you can make all the speeches you like....I take that back, we're already there.

i don't understand what you're getting at here. could you please explain......?

as for the legitimacy of Alpha, i finished 3rd in last years SOL Awards. :D

nuune;918419 wrote:
Your last post kills everything you have being writing for the past few years, thanks for the read.

maxaad ka hadlaysa inaadeero Nunne? maxaad ka wada 'kills'?

nuune   

In terms of quality!

You see, it is yowmul qiyaama where I write in English and you write in Af Soomaali

Alfie, good speech.

For a SOL virgin like meself, I;d like to know several things or your take one them:

1. what are these golden rules? A simple link will do

2. who are these great peeps who have left SOL and why do you think they have? you talk of a void, humour me mate...give me a "before the great peeps left" and "an after they left" scenario, paint me a mental picture...

3. which are these registration restrictions?

4. shouldn't a shir be held under a qudhac tree? in which case what's with the ties and seats, etc

5. what are the terms of reference of the shir if you have elected to mordernized it and decided to hold it at the Mansuur?

6. what's your role in the shir? chairman? session chair? note-taker? not clear :cool:

You can use these questions as the target of your next address.

Dear SOL delegates,

i'm deeply regretful of making the necessary but difficult decision to cancel shirweynihii 1aad ee SOL. i got a little too ahead of myself in calling this epic shirweyne, which is the first of its kind. it was an ambitious project. i had hoped it would eventually grow into a yearly conference. i haven't been able to fulfill the high target i set myself. a shiir of this magnitude would've yielded better dividends, had it been called, and organised by the ADMIN or the MODs. they haven't even bothered to comment, let alone support the ideas i've suggested thus far. it was futile and quickly frankly a waste of everybody's time. one day, i will make a forum of my own and i will make sure its better than SOL. until then, i will continue to blog on here.

forget this idea was even suggested. i'm terribly ashamed. i've lost serious credibility in not fulfilling the goals of the conference. i'd hoped to present a final MOU document, containing all the key outcomes of the shirweyne for the consideration of the ADMIN and the MODS but its quite obvious they're NOT interested in my reform plans. i've made this difficult decision in the hope of salvaging some respectability.

thanks for your efforts and support.

Al.